Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

British Airways BA462 LHR-MAD since December at a quick glance has been operated by an A380...

i wonder into the new year will that continue... in no hurry to be heading off long haul but always fancied the A380 experience.... bonus that it could be to one of my favorite EU cities, hopefully it will be an attainable journey .... but I’d be surprised all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

I think they are also operating it to Frankfurt, possibly some others. Crew familarisation/recency apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭VG31

It was on flights to Frankfurt and Madrid from 8 November to 2 December.

I flew on it to Frankfurt and back a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Saw a "weird" plane fly over my house a couple of weeks back , what was striking about it was it was a single prop engined plane but was the size of something like a regional jet , also the wings werent swept back much, it had no obvious airline markings. What might have I been looking at? it was heading west inland from Sandymount Strand direction. It just looked like a plane one would expect to be twin engined.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭General Disarray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭scotchy

Post edited by scotchy on

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭reforger

Nice end to the year for Airbus with a big contract agreed with Air France - KLM.

" The contract covers Airbus A320neo and A321neo aircraft and will renew the medium-haul fleets of KLM and Dutch low-cost unit Transavia Netherlands, while also allowing for both the renewal and expansion of the fleet at sister unit Transavia France."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭john boye

Another kick in the stones for Boeing after Qantas switched to Airbus NBs recently too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,513 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Makes me feel old that "oeo" 320s are going to the scrapper 😳 "Sit on my knee, son, now I remember when that fly by wire thing was considered witchcraft"

Then again, I'm still not over the loss of the L-1011 😪 by far the most technologically advanced airliner of its era, but it still couldn't overcome "why isn't this light on" 😕

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

3 sets of eyes couldn’t work out that light, rather sad.

Flew through Dubai World (DWC) a few nights ago, there had to be at least 40 A380’s in storage there. Didn’t see any B777’S, are they back in service or parked somewhere else.?

All the 777's have been back in service for nearly a year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ryanair 4052 Manchester to Faro made an emergency landing at Brest, France last night due to a reported outbreak of fire on board. Everyone was taken off safely.

Sky News have it that the aircraft shed 36,000 ft of altitude in about 6 minutes to make the approach, which must have been great craic for all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Don't know whether this is the right thread - but did any of you see the WWII movie Midway at the weekend, it showed a fighter plane taking off from a aircraft carrier and crashing in the sea because the ship was moving too slow - can someone please explain this scenario?

thanks,

Aircraft carriers sail into the wind as fast as they can so the plane taking off has 'airspeed' even before it starts rolling.

That said, a WWII fighter should have had little difficulty taking off from a carrier anyway. Things got a lot more difficult in the jet era.

So I'm calling movie BS on that one

Scrap the cap!

SOmeone has a lot of paperwork to fill out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jesus he/she was coming in fairly hot there...

A plane spotter's dream comes through

• Advertisement

this is the clip, the pilot says something like the ship is too slow so at least they are giving an explanantion

Lots of bad CGI there.

I see China Airlines is maintaining its usual standards...

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It was a loaded bomber. That said, someone is supposed to check conditions before launching...

The way WW2 carriers launched, they tended to have multiple aircraft spotted at once, the aircraft at the front end of the group having less runway space to build speed. For example, a strike in Sept '44 by HMS Indomitable was delayed because of insufficient wind, they had to take some aircraft back below decks to make room for a longer run-up. As it was, one bomber (a Barracuda) still ditched into the sea upon take-off.

I don't know off-hand if this happened at Midway itself, I'd need to hunt the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Catapult launches as we know them today were much more limited then and most aircraft took off from a carrier under their own power, aided by the built in head wind. A carrier needed to be hitting 25 to 30 knots, added to whatever wind was blowing on the day, to get loaded aircraft off and you often saw loaded aircraft dip down near the water after clearing the bow to gain a few extra knots of airspeed. Pilots were taught to turn left or right immediately in case they did ditch, to avoid getting run down by the ship. They also had the canopies open so that they could get out quickly. The aircraft usually had flotation bags built in to give them more time to get out and a dedicated crew dinghy, which was sometimes rigged to deploy automatically when immersed. But, carrier ops were and still are, always hazardous and accidents and losses were and are much more frequent than for land based operations.

Confirmation if ever it was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone recommend parking in the Clayton? I'm away from 24th-30th and the Clayton is only €51 where as the red long term where I was originally going to park is €75. Is the €25 saving worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

It's actually the only long term I am using for last couple of years, would definately recommend. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

10 Irish aircorp fly by in Dublin this morning? Anybody?

Can anyone have a guess at the types ?

• Advertisement

HS 748 and a Fairchild C119

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Listening to EIDW ATC

”Wind 070 6kts, runway 28L cleared to land”.

I get that this is a very light wind and probably negligible tailwind, but would they not switch to RWY10R. What would be the max tailwind they would tolerate before switching?

Most aircraft have a 10 or 15 knot tailwind limit, the impact of the tailwind is a higher ground speed at touchdown and a longer landing distance, if the aircraft performance is within limits then you can accept the tailwind.

Airports appear to use 5 knots as the changeover limit, in the above case it was 5.2 knots.

Thanks, I through the that it was a NORD something or other.

Had time to google it, i guessing its one of these. But no idea if they were operated by the Tanzanian Air Force,

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Nord-2501F-3-Noratlas/160690

Hard to know for sure from those photos, they're very similar!

Scrap the cap!

My B747 week, haven’t seen this VIP aircraft moving for at least a year but I don’t actually know who owns it these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

strange that no automated internal IT cross check insisted that prior to approval and rubber stamping of the pairing that a ‘computer says no’ didn’t alert those rostering or automatically prevent the roster pairing. 🚨 ….

i would doubt any of the conventions governing the liability and loss for an airline such as Montreal or Warsaw would dismiss the responsibility on Virgin for this shîtshow. People will have been seriously inconvenienced, stressed and out of pocket.

Not the first. I have heard of at least two similar events in Irish aviation but in both cases, it was discovered before takeoff.

And I know Of an event where it was discovered at the destination.

They were just approved to fly back.

Remember that this isn’t a cadet with no experience, he is a high hour pilot who is trained on the aircraft. He just hadn’t done his final line check ride with an examiner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Business Post today suggests that easyJet are going to cut their A319 seating to 150 (I imagine actually 149) as the few extra seats no longer pay for a fourth CC.

EI ran their sub-150 seat 319s with four CCs for scheduling reasons I believe, but they were a much smaller element of the fleet. If staff costs go up more we might see more aircraft in the just sub100 and sub150 zones.

Can't really understand U2's love for the 319, airframe stretches are usually successful but shrinkages not so much (most of the cost, most of the weight, for less revenue potential). 320/737-800 seems the optimum size for most short haul airlines.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Found this in Kigili Rwanda, no idea what happened to it.

must have hit a tree or had a birdstrike at low level.

This was doing a loop overhead,10kms to the south out over the coast and back in over Arklow this morning

Are those fuel tanks on the wings ?

What is it,what is it used for?

This morning it was training I presume

It wasn't very high

Isn't that the plane they use to calibrate/verify the various ILS and transponder beacons dotted around the country?

No idea

saw an unusual plane fly over the house again heading out into Dublin bay , it was a twin tail vintage 40's-60's looking plane either passenger or transport type. The unusual bit was that it looked like it had Japanese rising sun markings on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads anyone know good plane spotting viewing areas around Dublin Airport?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ysterplaat Military Museum Cape Town.

Shackleton.

Again.

Thats the Helicopter interior.

SA had a wonderful industry back engineering aircraft, apparently when things changed, everyone who was involved got fined and had to state in writing that they wouldn’t do it again. These days SA has zero aircraft industries for this reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement