Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭godfather2

Louis Litt wrote: »
    Anyone know what kind of a marker they are for Tort? any stories of ppl coming out with the pass after a couple of poor questons

Very hard to predict but fair if that helps. I'll be back in the revision tonight as don't think I got there this time. Feel like I'm in the mid 40s. 8wks and back to swing again for me. Liked the topics but struggled to remember my case law.

MrAlex123 wrote: »
    Word of caution for any FE1 'first timers'-- a few of the top firms only accept trainees who complete all FE1s within a certain number of sittings (e.g. 3). Worth bearing in mind when planning your topics for October as today is likely to count as 1/3 of your sittings! Wish someone had told me this when I started :/

What! I’ve never heard that! :(
    Very harsh especially now they’ve gotten rid of the magic 3 rule I thought that would take the pressure off!

JCormac wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of those questions had multiple possible routes you could have taken.

Like Nervous Shock or Wilkinson or Employer Liability for the question on yer one in the office.

Or the tort of Nuisance or Negligence for the guy who couldn't stop smoking. Maybe it was just me that said Negligence. Oof[/QUOTE

I said negligence as well. I ran through nuisance and said might not apply as not a substantial period of time as had moved in a few weeks ago and, started throwing them on the green, better chance of recovery under negligence

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I've heard from people in law firms that it looks bad if you take longer than 2 years to do the FE1s. So that's 4 sittings, 5 if you include this week. That was on an advisory night organised by the law soc in NUIG and they were opinions of people from A&L Goodbody.

We got "called out" by a well known advisor on the FE1s haha, full on called regular posters on boards.ie spoofers

Excuse my brevity, but who is 'we', what do you mean 'called out', what/who is a 'well known advisor on the FE1s"? Thanks :)

We as in regular posters on boards.ie and by called out I mean, called spoofers and that reading and following threads on boards.ie is a bad idea, and regular posters do not have your best interests at heart, especially people sitting the same exam as you.

The well known advisor is someone on instagram, and has done very well in the FE1s in the past. If you don't know off the bat who it is from that then I don't think you know of them, in which case it's pointless information.

Nothing wrong with what she said, I just found it funny really and I disagree with it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ihatethesea

My God I don't think I would have passed some of my FE1's without fellow Boards posters haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 MrAlex123

Lallers96 wrote: »
    We as in regular posters on boards.ie and by called out I mean, called spoofers and that reading and following threads on boards.ie is a bad idea, and regular posters do not have your best interests at heart, especially people sitting the same exam as you.

The well known advisor is someone on instagram, and has done very well in the FE1s in the past. If you don't know off the bat who it is from that then I don't think you know of them, in which case it's pointless information.

Nothing wrong with what she said, I just found it funny really and I disagree with it

Gotcha thanks! Sounds like a Hero.

Good luck to one and all for Thursday, going to bow out of here so the posts are all entirely EU based for a bit. Best of luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Predictions???

No real predictions, just cover the usual suspects -

Institutions
    Direct Effect/MS Liability
    General Principles
    Citizenship
    Goods
    Workers
    Judicial Review
    Competition

• Advertisement

Lol, I just checked insta and seen the video

Think she is so wrong, this thread has been a massive help to me personally and to suggest people intentionally put up incorrect information is really unfair. I always do my best to help others and feel I've been treated similarly. It's a nice community on here and people genuinely look out for each other, in my experience.

Y'all are great x

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

We got "called out" by a well known advisor on the FE1s haha, full on called regular posters on boards.ie spoofers

That was an embarrassing call out from her, I have Found this forum very helpful and the first time I sat the fe1s I wasn’t looking at this And I failed, loads of very nice helpful people on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Word of caution for any FE1 'first timers'-- a few of the top firms only accept trainees who complete all FE1s within a certain number of sittings (e.g. 3). Worth bearing in mind when planning your topics for October as today is likely to count as 1/3 of your sittings! Wish someone had told me this when I started :/

To be honest I've never heard this before! I have a TC at a top 10 firm and number of sittings wasn't discussed at all - nor was it mentioned in any other TC applications I filled in, incl top tier firms (and I did a LOT!) I don't think it's something worth stressing over really in the grand scheme of things, from anecdotal evidence it's not something that's commonly brought up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭EmmaO94

Think she is so wrong, this thread has been a massive help to me personally and to suggest people intentionally put up incorrect information is really unfair. I always do my best to help others and feel I've been treated similarly. It's a nice community on here and people genuinely look out for each other, in my experience.

Y'all are great x

Would anyone be willing to divulge her name, be it by PM?!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

What! I’ve never heard that! :(
    Very harsh especially now they’ve gotten rid of the magic 3 rule I thought that would take the pressure off!

God could law get any more elitest! I think I might change my location to "spoofing on boards" as I'm a semi pro after 10 years.

EmmaO94 wrote: »
    To be honest I've never heard this before! I have a TC at a top 10 firm and number of sittings wasn't discussed at all - nor was it mentioned in any other TC applications I filled in, incl top tier firms (and I did a LOT!) I don't think it's something worth stressing over really in the grand scheme of things, from anecdotal evidence it's not something that's commonly brought up :-)

It wasn't included in any of the TC applications I completed either. But it is an express clause in my TC!

Defo not something to stress over, but certainly something to be cognisant of going forward :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

It wasn't included in any of the TC applications I completed either. But it is an express clause in my TC!

Defo not something to stress over, but certainly something to be cognisant of going forward :)

Does it apply retrospectively or only going forward? I'll have done 3 sittings before I graduate :/

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Does it apply retrospectively or only going forward? I'll have done 3 sittings before I graduate :/

That's pretty amazing three sittings before you graduate!!! I began them 2 years after graduating! <3

IgoPAP wrote: »

I am so sorry I haven't a clue! Seriously can't imagine them applying it retrospectively to college students - they'd only be delighted to have someone like you who's tackling these exams while in college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Anyone thinking they might have to resit Tort, I’d recommend checking out Val Corbett’s Tort Cases in a Nutshell. I got gifted a copy and found it so good that I used it instead of the manual for most of my exam prep.

The layout and writing is vastly superior to the manual I had been using, providing a lot more useful information in a lot less space.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

No real predictions, just cover the usual suspects -

Institutions
    Direct Effect/MS Liability
    General Principles
    Citizenship
    Goods
    Workers
    Judicial Review
    Competition

I’m hoping for a nice set of case notes but not banking on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

That's pretty amazing three sittings before you graduate!!! I began them 2 years after graduating! <3

Thanks! Although it wouldn't be too amazing if it turned that I could get rejected because I already did 3 sittings with only a few subjects each.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Y'all are great x

For what it's worth, I've passed like three exams basing my revision the night before the exam solely on iamanengine's predictions so boards has been a pretty massive help to me.

I think the person we are referencing about might be trying to do a bit of inverse marketing by deterring people from browsing here for information. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I've passed like three exams basing my revision the night before the exam solely on iamanengine's predictions so boards has been a pretty massive help to me.

I think the person we are referencing about might be trying to do a bit of inverse marketing by deterring people from browsing here for information. :rolleyes:

Yeah like obviously none of us are lecturers, we are only saying what we know. I remember I didn't know an 18 year old could witness a will qnd I was like no way (still makes 0 sense to me they can - sorry guys). >.<;

I have honestly seen your questions here, and while studying another subject, got the textbook off the library shelf and checked the answers. I do it in the hope that they'll be some good karma for me in the future. I've literally passed all 8 and I'm still chilling here. I've definitely met people IRL who would rip pages out of law books to sabotage others but I post here in good faith none of you guys would do that. I was gonna say we should meet for pints / non alcoholic substitutions again but then I was like oh wait..........

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Healyjhow wrote: »
    Don’t even want to post mortem that paper I really feeling I was grasping at straws ... all my case law knowledge just disintegrated and got stuck with two essay questions I couldn’t even re read cause I had the fear of my life hahahah anyone want to share what their studying for EU so I can attempt to redeem myself ?

Exactly the same. Was reciting every case and statute perfectly before the exam, pure Rainman style.

In the exam I think I remembered a sixth of what I studied. Be lucky if I was scraping 5 cases a question. Just the luck of the draw on the day I guess.

Lots of people are probably in the same boat, so wouldn't stress too much.

Hoping for questions in the follow areas:

General Principles (Essay)
    Direct effect & Member State liability
    Judicial Review (Essay)
    FMG (Art 34 or Art 30 & 110)
    FMW (and maybe Citizenship)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Exactly the same. Was reciting every case and statute perfectly before the exam, pure Rainman style.

In the exam I think I remembered a sixth of what I studied. Be lucky if I was scraping 5 cases a question. Just the luck of the draw on the day I guess.

Lots of people are probably in the same boat, so wouldn't stress too much.

Hoping for questions in the follow areas:

General Principles (Essay)
    Direct effect & Member State liability
    Judicial Review (Essay)
    FMG (Art 34 or Art 30 & 110)
    FMW (and maybe Citizenship)

Same here, was very happy with what I'd covered going in (think I counted I had 20 topics in total and could rhyme off relevant case law) but a few of them problem questions just threw me! Found myself rushing and waffling through answers because I spent so long trying to work out what the question was asking for. Ah well, it's all a learning experience!

I think EU will be more straightforward in terms of identifying the questions anyway. Hoping for similar topics myself!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Firstly, congrats to all who sat Tort today and I advise against post mortems generally but particularly if you don't feel great about the exam. Tort is one of those areas where there are many right answers as well as many wrong ones and is notoriously difficult. I think the examiners reports pretty much always say that the majority of candidates do not correctly identify all issues/torts. That doesn't mean a fail on its own so you can miss things and still pass. Of course you can sure if it were any other way there'd be no passes tbh.

Just to set the record straight on the "call out" -

I read this thread daily and have done all my professional life (BL with 10+ PQE) and I do so partially to ensure the quality of advice/guidance/legal discussion is up to scratch. Other lawyers on the forum do too. I don't think I have ever noticed anyone trying to lead others astray.

But if it did happen, it would be "called out" straight away - that's how this site/internet discussions work. The best way to get the right answer on the internet is to post something incorrect!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Aoibhin511

Am i right in saying that preliminary reference and infringement procedure has never come up under this examiner?

Aoibhin511 wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that preliminary reference and infringement procedure has never come up under this examiner?

Prelim reference came up in March 2019, that's the only time. Infringement hasn't I don't think. Supremacy hasn't either

Prelim reference came up in March 2019, that's the only time. Infringement hasn't I don't think. Supremacy hasn't either

Ah completely missed that, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

What q was prelim reference in March 2019? Must be losing it just can’t seem to see it 😂

htnor wrote: »
    What q was prelim reference in March 2019? Must be losing it just can’t seem to see it &#55357;&#56834;

I don't actually have access to the paper itself but my grid says Q3

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

Would anyone mind sending me ANY of the last 6 years of exam papers for EU ? My notes only go to 2013 - I know last minute AF, I'm really stuck. Even just one hahaha

Thanks a mil.

I don't actually have access to the paper itself but my grid says Q3

Hmm I would say q3 was just about standing am i missing something??

QUESTION THREE March 19

When Advocate General Jacobs stated in paragraph 103 of his own Opinion on Case C-50/2000, UPA v Council, that:
    “[…] and individual should be regarded as individually concerned within the meaning of the fourth paragraph of Article 230 EC by a Community measure where, by reason of his particular circumstances, the measure has, or is liable to have, a substantial adverse effect on his interests”
    he was clearly articulating that there was a lack of effective judicial protection for non-privileged applicants who sought a judicial review of acts of the European Union’s institutions.
    Explain briefly the concerns that Advocate General was addressing here. Also, make an assessment of whether these concerns have been fully addressed by the changes that were made to Article 230 EC by the Lisbon Treaty and now contained in Article 263 TFEU and/or any developments that may have come from the related case law of the Union Judicature on this matter, and in particular the case-law interpreting the new post-Lisbon fourth paragraph to Article 263 TFEU.

sunnylegal wrote: »
    Would anyone mind sending me ANY of the last 6 years of exam papers for EU ? My notes only go to 2013 - I know last minute AF, I'm really stuck. Even just one hahaha

Thanks a mil.

Yeah dm me your email

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sunnylegal

Yeah dm me your email

Thank you SO SO much, I really appreciate it.

QUESTION THREE March 19

When Advocate General Jacobs stated in paragraph 103 of his own Opinion on Case C-50/2000, UPA v Council, that:
    “[…] and individual should be regarded as individually concerned within the meaning of the fourth paragraph of Article 230 EC by a Community measure where, by reason of his particular circumstances, the measure has, or is liable to have, a substantial adverse effect on his interests”
    he was clearly articulating that there was a lack of effective judicial protection for non-privileged applicants who sought a judicial review of acts of the European Union’s institutions.
    Explain briefly the concerns that Advocate General was addressing here. Also, make an assessment of whether these concerns have been fully addressed by the changes that were made to Article 230 EC by the Lisbon Treaty and now contained in Article 263 TFEU and/or any developments that may have come from the related case law of the Union Judicature on this matter, and in particular the case-law interpreting the new post-Lisbon fourth paragraph to Article 263 TFEU.

Yep that seems pretty clearly to be about judicial review to me. So it seems you can't trust sample answers or grids these days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38 htnor

QUESTION THREE March 19

Yeah you’re right Q3 according to examiner report was on Art 263 and effective judicial protection and locus standi.

I was getting freaked there thinking my grid was wrong and as prelim reference hasn’t come up in years! I feel like it’s one of the most notable EU topics tho I don’t get why it’s not more of a popular q.

Apologies guys!!

I wouldn't want to be seen as intentionally giving out incorrect information... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

Does anybody have a condensed summary/notes on the changes Lisbon has made to Institutions that are crammable?

I don't have a whole lot on EU that I can swap but can swap what I have & will owe you a pint our paths cross in Blackhall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Does anybody have a condensed summary/notes on the changes Lisbon has made to Institutions that are crammable?

I don't have a whole lot on EU that I can swap but can swap what I have & will owe you a pint our paths cross in Blackhall

I would love these also....please

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Healyjhow

When looking at direct effect problem questions .... is indirect effect only to be addressed with failure to correctly transpose the directive ? Direct effect would only need to be addressed if it was just failure to implement on time?

I've been studying for EU for weeks and I feel like I know absolutely nothing. Tomorrow is going to be a long day.

? I think that Lisbon literally implemented the TEU and the TFEU so on a technicality anything that is found in either of those in relation to Lisbon is a change made to the Institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 yipyop

Hey, does anyone have anything on 'equivalence' and 'practical possibility' or how to go about answering that question? March 2017 Q2. My notes don't include those as part of general principles.

Have a few useful bits on the whole course if anyone needs them, thanks.

Main changes - QMV, Charter of fundamental rights, ordinary legislative procedure, increased role of ms parliaments, introduced new test for regulatory acts re judicial review, introduced procedure to leave the EU

I don’t have any specific notes for Lisbon more they are spread out over various topics

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trainee1986

Hi everyone, posting this again for anyone else interested before review of applications in the coming weeks. My firm - an established criminal and personal injuries firm located in Dublin 1 - is looking to give an extended internship (at least 6 months) starting September/Oct 2020. This would suit a bright graduate interested in gaining daily court experience and advocacy skills (firm works in all courts from District up to Supreme). This is a hands-on role. Review of applications will begin on 17th August.

Send me a message for more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DUMSURFER

Does anyone have 'Free Movement of Workers' notes for EU that I could beg for?

Can send any and all other notes, sample answers etc to the unbelievably kind people who help out!

When was the last time equivalence and effectiveness came up? I realllllly don't want to cover it

• Advertisement

When was the last time equivalence and effectiveness came up? I realllllly don't want to cover it

October 19 and March 17

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement