Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great British Bake Off 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Jaysus, half way through!!

Mmmmmmm..... cornish pastie (pasty?)...... mmmmmmmm........

Prue is not the only one not convinced by Lottie's pasties :eek:

And sausage and mash is one of my favourite things!

See, now...... as they were calling time, Linda was looking at her pasties still in the oven on the shelf..... and yet she still gets to serve them.... (I'm sure she wasn't the only one, mind you).

Either you manage your time right or you don't, surely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Between the pasties and the pies, Bake Off had me drooling this week! Glad to see so many of them do well this week after last week’s mediocrities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

It was sad to see Linda to go, I liked her. But she kinda lost from the very start and was completely out of it during the technical, and there wasn't much hope for show stopper to save her, so it was obvious from the very start it was her turn to go.
    Pastries aren't my thing. But cake is... slice of chocolate guinness cake from last night.
    3hMy2gK.jpg

• Advertisement

If I died and went to heaven, pasties, pastries and tarts would be on the menu (more savoury than sweet, though). And bread.

I'm not sure, but I may be a carboholic :o

So I fear the show is all downhill from here for me!

Cake looks gorgeous, not a combination I've come across before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I knew Linda was gone at the start of the show when she said pastry was her week, mothers know how to make pastry. She signed her own death warrant so to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

What's with putting rice into pasties? Doesn't seem like a very appealing combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,813 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I liked Linda and I’ve feeling she’d be a very good baker but she was probably out of debt with this!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

siblers wrote: »
    What's with putting rice into pasties? Doesn't seem like a very appealing combo

Think the rice absorbs excess moisture so pastry doesn’t get soggy but then you run the risk of the filling being too dry like happened last night

• Advertisement

I thought Hermine was pretty unlucky to not win Star Baker last night. It’s clear that the Showstopper is the most important round when it comes to judging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Hermine also said that pastry week was her week so I thought she had jinxed herself too at the very start of the show
    Sad to see linda go..she had a nightmare yesterday!

Think laura deserved star baker
    good pasties..first in the technical and a lovely showstopper
    hermines cage looked crap in the showstopper to me so i knew laura had it

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Hermine also said that pastry week was her week so I thought she had jinxed herself too at the very start of the show
    Sad to see linda go..she had a nightmare yesterday!

Think laura deserved star baker
    good pasties..first in the technical and a lovely showstopper
    hermines cage looked crap in the showstopper to me so i knew laura had it

Laura only came 6th in the technical! Hermine came 2nd and it was pretty close between her and Peter for 1st, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Laura only came 6th in the technical! Hermine came 2nd and it was pretty close between her and Peter for 1st, if I recall correctly.

Haha you are right now that I read that...must have rewritten it in my head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I thought Peter might have gotten the nod this week but there you go.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    See, now...... as they were calling time, Linda was looking at her pasties still in the oven on the shelf..... and yet she still gets to serve them.... (I'm sure she wasn't the only one, mind you).

Pretty sure it’s always edited to make it seem like they’re more short on time than they actually are.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I thought Peter might have gotten the nod this week but there you go.

I actually thought it was going to be between Hermine and Peter. I didn’t think Laura had done enough to win Star Baker.

What is the theme today? Carrot cake here tonight.

DSwAKqP.jpg

j@utis wrote: »
    What is the theme today?

Japanese!

Japanese!
    I'm fully prepared to be bored stupid tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Japanese!

Is that a bit odd

• Advertisement

Damn! I should've made Japanese cheese cake instead!

I’m just expecting lots of Wasabi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

I'm actually getting pissed off by 'themes' this year in Bake Off.

This is Japanese cooking not baking.

Chocolate week was also crap this year.

There is a reason no one has ever heard of this cold crepe cake.

Looks disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭CiaranW

It has been mentioned Peter is from Scotland, but to me he has the biggest Bristol accent!

CiaranW wrote: »
    It has been mentioned Peter is from Scotland, but to me he has the biggest Bristol accent!

Only tonight I noticed that I could hear a small bit of Scottish accent!

If Lottie manages to pull off her plan, I'll be well impressed!

Actually enjoyed the Showstopper in the end.

Sad Mark L gone.

I thought it would be Laura but in fairness she did pull it out of bag with showstopper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

appledrop wrote: »
    Actually enjoyed the Showstopper in the end.

Sad Mark L gone.

I thought it would be Laura but in fairness she did pull it out of bag with showstopper.

My favorite contestants in the bottom 3 tonight, but would rather Mark L leave than Hermine and Laura.

Anyone but Dave for the win. How did he not know what a crescent is?!

CiaranW wrote: »

A lot of Scottish accents are quite mild. The Edinburgh accent is way softer compared to Glasgow.

• Advertisement

Well, that wasn't quite a bad as I feared..... but there's nothing that had me drooling, or thinking "I must give that a go some time".

In fact, bar the burgers in round 1, there was nothing much I'd fancy eating at all! And certainly not that astroturf crepe cake in round two :(

The whole series so far has been seriously underwhelming for me, and a certain amount can be blamed on Bloody Covid, but not all......

I think Lottie might have lost a buddy this week, those two looked like they had quite a bond going on (in the nicest possible way!). I really liked Mark, very sorry to see him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Such a boring episode!! I agree with previous posters, anyone but Dave to win! I liked Mark, shame to see him go.

It went very wrong very quickly for Mark. Had expected him to make the final 4 if not the final 3. His showstopper must have been very, very bad. Bit strange as he didn't seem to be under much pressure during his bake, appeared to be more out of carelessness than lack of ability that cost him.

Addle wrote: »
    My favorite contestants in the bottom 3 tonight, but would rather Mark L leave than Hermine and Laura.

I like Dave. I can’t see what people dislike about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

Took the words out of my mouth. i don't get all the hate. He was genuinely upset when Mark got the boot last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think he's a very socially awkward person and on a show like this that can come off as cold and distant. One of my friends is convinced he's a sociopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Navy blue

Dave reminds me of last years winner, comes across as a little bit cold. I’d say he’s very competitive. I like him though.Hard to see a standout winner this year. Lottie can get it very right but also very wrong. Candice from a few years back was a bit like that but she pulled it together towards the end and won.

Addle wrote: »

I don’t really mind who wins this year because I really disliked last years guy.

I think Dave only started baking in the last few years and he had practiced lots and lots of recipes however he mustn’t have come across a crescent!

I don’t really mind who wins this year because I really disliked last years guy.

I think Dave only started baking in the last few years and he had practiced lots and lots of recipes however he mustn’t have come across a crescent!
    If you speak English, I'd have thought you'd know what a crescent is? :confused: It's hardly a technical baking term!

Dave has a very intense way about him, can't say I've warmed to him much - but I think I'm beginning to prefer him Lottie's simpering and flirting style - I'm so over that at this stage, just get on with the baking ffs - and AT LEAST HIS HAIR ISN'T ALL OVER THE SHOP!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's not a baking term though, it's just a shape.

• Advertisement

Navy blue wrote: »
    Dave reminds me of last years winner, comes across as a little bit cold. I’d say he’s very competitive. I like him though.Hard to see a standout winner this year. Lottie can get it very right but also very wrong. Candice from a few years back was a bit like that but she pulled it together towards the end and won.

See, maybe that’s why I don’t mind him. I’m quite openly competitive so I like it in other people too but it’s a trait that can rub other people up the wrong way. Though, let’s not kid ourselves, they are ALL competitive. :D

I think Hermine might nick it. She’s been a strong contestant.

I don't mind Dave anymore either. He does look very intense but I think that's his natural expression, anytime Noel or Matt come over he's quite engaging and likes to joke around with them and there's nothing wrong with wanting to win or being frustrated for not doing as well as you wanted.

Its better than pretending you don't care if you win

What do you think about Extra slice this season? I don't find it entertaining at all. I missed last friday's episode and I can't be bothered to go looking for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What do you think about Extra slice this season? I don't find it entertaining at all. I missed last friday's episode and I can't be bothered to go looking for it.

I watch it up to the moment Tom Allen arrives then I switch off . I just cannot listen to his nonsense .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dont think much of it tbh. Tom Allen is even more annoying this season than usual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I watch it for Tom Allen but beyond that it's far too scripted with some really silly jokes based an the weeks episode (not remotely funny). Jo Brand is wasted on it and don't get me started on that fúckin' mariachi band.

I stopped watching when Tom Allen was added to the show.

If it was half the length - maybe, now it just feels too drowned out and just plain boring. Not having real audience doesn't work, not tasting brought in bakes takes away even more from the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

If it was half the length - maybe, now it just feels too drowned out and just plain boring. Not having real audience doesn't work, not tasting brought in bakes takes away even more from the show.

Definitely, I think 30 minutes would be fine, cut out the "here's Prue's reaction when she saw Paul's buns" bits.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was sad to see Mark L go this week, he was a fun guy to have there and he seemed to do really well up to this week. A shame but it's at the stage now where it is a shame to see any of them go home as they are all very good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement