Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month visitor visas to Ireland

Options
  • 17-05-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi. If someone is visiting from the USA can they use a 3 month Visa repeatedly ? For example spend a few months in the UK and then return here for another 3 months , or is it 3 months in any 12 month period ? Thanks. Ps nobody in passport office replying. They are swamped by Brexit I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Hi. If someone is visiting from the USA can they use a 3 month Visa repeatedly ? For example spend a few months in the UK and then return here for another 3 months , or is it 3 months in any 12 month period ? Thanks. Ps nobody in passport office replying. They are swamped by Brexit I think

It's not one for the passport office, it's for INIS, part of the Department of Justice.

Visitor visas can't be used as a way to almost immigrate if that's what you're looking at. Have a look at the other visa types on the INIS website

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The passport office only issues passports for Irish citizens, it doesn’t deal with visas or immigration policies (as started above that would be INIS, and to some extend the GNIB when it comes to law enforcement related to immigration).

Also it is a bit unclear, but are you asking about visa *waivers* for US citizens rather than actual visas?

I am not 100% sure I get you but are you asking whether a US citizens can live in Ireland for a year without applying for a visa or a residence card, by traveling to the UK every 90 days and immediately coming back to Ireland to reset the clock for their visa waiver?

If this is the question, while it might work once or twice, doing this repeatedly is clearly against the intend of the visa waiver programme, and after a few times the person is bound eventually to be asked by a border control officer the purpose of those repeated entries and to struggle to provide a satisfactory answer (saying they live in Ireland would possibly result in deportation as the visa waiver programme doesn’t cover extended stays ... which is not to say using it every 3 months is necessarily a problem, for exemple a US citizens coming to Ireland every 3 months for a one week business trip would well be within their right to use the visa waiver programme for that purpose, the key being that they don’t live in Ireland, don’t predominantly work in Ireland, and each visit is a short one).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If the question relates simply to spending a total of more than three months on holiday in Ireland, it would be perfectly acceptable for the US citizen to take time out of their Irish trip after two months, travel in the Schengen Area for 90 days, then return to Ireland for a second trip of two or three months.

The info you need can be found here: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/non-visa-required-short

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dara O Rourke

Thanks for the replies, people. They dont want to immigrate , just take a longer holiday break I think. But it looks complicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

The INIS are well aware of US citizens doing visa runs to effectively live in Ireland without the proper clearances.

As said you might get away with it once or twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

A US Citizen gets 6 months in the UK but only 90 days in ROI, nothing to stop them crossing over from Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Yes, but they must present themselves to an immigration officer as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Yes, but they must present themselves to an immigration officer as soon as possible.

It's being widely abused and if taking an anti-Immigration point of view having a sealed border post hard-Brexit would be favoured by those so inclined.

Advertisement