Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with noisy neighbours

Options
  • 17-05-2019 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

We recently bought a semi-d house in a very quiet estate. It struck us during the viewings how quiet it was and we were happy to buy as it fitted all our requirements.

Everything great until we moved in and realized the adjoining neighbour is very noisy :( We can't hear a peep through the walls but their kids and sometimes the parents slam the bejaysus out of their front door on a regular basis. To top it off their kids (between 8 odd to early teens) like hammering a ball off the pavement outside the houses for at least an hour every evening without fail.

After nearly having our window put through by their ball we asked the kids to play somewhere else only for their boorish father to try and lay the law down to me and tell me the kids are going to that and there's nothing I can do about it !! :rolleyes:

Basically since then its been an evening of banging and banging week in week out. I have a feeling if we approach them about it it'll get worse. Any suggestions ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

I can understand why you are frustrated but that is all pretty minor compared to what I have had to put up with it the past.

As long as its not going on late at night i would say nothing and just try and be polite with the kids and not make enemies because that will only make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

celt262 wrote: »
    I can understand why you are frustrated but that is all pretty minor compared to what I have had to put up with it the past.

As long as its not going on late at night i would say nothing and just try and be polite with the kids and not make enemies because that will only make it worse.

The first and only time they were asked to play elsewhere after a basket ball nearly came through our living room window they went in and told lies to their parents. So off to a bad start from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

D3V!L wrote: »
    The first and only time they were asked to play elsewhere after a basket ball nearly came through our living room window they went in and told lies to their parents. So off to a bad start from the get go.

Start playing classical music and underground Belgian jazz out your window every time they start bouncing that ball, they won’t be long leaving to find somewhere else to play...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Do you have kids yourself?

I'm just after reading the original post again and this goes on for at least an hour every evening.

You are lucky they are great neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

You're living in a housing estate OP - is it realistic to expect that your neighbour's children are not going to play ball out on the road and slam the doors? That's what kids do!

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    Do you have kids yourself?

I'm just after reading the original post again and this goes on for at least an hour every evening.

You are lucky they are great neighbors.

Yes I understand kids play, strangely enough I was one once and have absolutely no problem with it.

However ask someone to stand outside your living room window and repeatedly drum a basket ball and see how long it takes to annoy you . Then do that every single evening.

Dum Dum Dum Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I'd say you're being a bit silly with the ball noise, they're kids and if they're only messing with a ball you're grand. Also it would have to be some effort to put a window in with a basketball.

Had you gone over nicely to begin with and mentioned the door slamming is noisy for you you'd have had half a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

The joys of living in a semi-d in a housing estate, that's why I love the peace and solitude of rural living!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

I can totally understand but where you are coming from, many years ago the same noises would have bothered me.
    However having kids now I would be much more easy going regarding this type of noise. It's not being done deliberately to annoy you, that is a big plus.
    I would thread very carefully there, however much it annoys you now, you could end up with a much bigger problem down the road if you stir things up the wrong way.

GoneHome wrote: »
    The joys of living in a semi-d in a housing estate, that's why I love the peace and solitude of rural living!

I moved from a terrace house in a busy estate. Lets get some perspective here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,714 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

We can't hear a peep through the walls

Build a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

You should go out and play basketball with them!

Better they are playing games rather than engaging in more anti-social activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

My kids slam the front door all the time. Ive a pain in my neck telling to do it gently.

they also play outside, Football, Rugby, You name it, During the day and often in the evenings they're out playing.

This is normal and healthy.

Id happily be that 'boorish father' if some randomer moved in and started compaining that the kids exist and are playing noisily.

Seriously, sell up, move to the countryside and don't inflict your neighbours with your frankly ridiculous ideas of whats acceptable in a housing estate.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Throw a bucket of water out the window next time they're outside being noisy. Hot/cold/with washing up liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

beertons wrote: »
    Throw a bucket of water out the window next time they're outside being noisy. Hot/cold/with washing up liquid.
    Are you suggesting he throw the water at them?! For playing outside on the street?

edit: actually, am guessing you must be just joking :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Have they got somewhere else to play....
    If it's really getting you down Google mosquito device, it'll move them away from you're house...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You have to just suck this up, OP, it's part and parcel of estate living and as others have said, there are much worse shenanigans they could be up to.

I don't particularly like kids but even I accept that them playing and making noise is just what kids do. My next door neighbours have two young boys who are out their back garden constantly when the weather is nice. They spend all day every day either playing football (and balls coming over the fence is a several-times-a-day occurrence) or trundling a skateboard up and down their deck. They also can't seem to play for more than 15 minutes at a time without one injuring the other and screams of pain/anger/"I'm telling Mooommmmmmm". The latter in particular drives me demented but, again, what can I do? Like I said, it's just part of suburban living.

Is it a pain in the face when I'm trying to enjoy my garden during sunny weather? Bet your ass it is. But it's a perfectly natural part of their childhood and I'm sure I drove many of my own neighbours batty when I was growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Absolutely no reason why you should accept it, the problem here is kids that weren’t raised right by their parents... the parents are clearly not great role models!!! If they want to belt the ball off a wall, beat it off their own house or go to a pitch ... and as regards the slamming of doors... can happen an odd time if kids energetic and excited... not the whole time though... sounds like you’ve moved in beside savages....again not the kids fault, the parents ....is it a council estate? Can you report it to council if so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

LillySV wrote: »
    sounds like you’ve moved in beside savages....

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭setanta1000

Absolutely no reason why you should accept it, the problem here is kids that weren’t raised right by their parents... the parents are clearly not great role models!!! If they want to belt the ball off a wall, beat it off their own house or go to a pitch ... and as regards the slamming of doors... can happen an odd time if kids energetic and excited... not the whole time though... sounds like you’ve moved in beside savages....again not the kids fault, the parents ....is it a council estate? Can you report it to council if so?

I think the general consensus on the thread is that there is every reason the OP should accept it because that's what happens when you live in an estate...as for calling them savages that's just ridiculous...they're kids and playing like all other kids do, including my own and my neighbors and all the other kids in estates all over the world.

Some tolerance and patience would go a long way here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Are you being sarcastic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

A lot here think their little Johnny can do what they want.... and that’s why lot of Irish kids getting out of control and going down a slippery slope...

And another thing some of the parents here are forgetting.... they are your responsibility!

Good few kids in my estate and they play in a grass area nearby and wouldn’t dare to think of kicking a ball off someone else’s house.... it is a nice estate though with good parents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

If thats all i had to deal with id be very happy. Your blessed imo

Since I've clearly been tagged as a "grumpy old man" , I'm going to try and save face and elaborate.

Our house was vacant for about a year so there was as far as we can tell they were football playing in front of it for a long time unchallenged and in our back garden.

In the past month we're here we had a basketball hit the living room window (which is 2 meters from the path) 3 times in total. The same kids also decided that our driveway which runs along the side of our house is a great place to play football. It starts 3 meters from the road, so they had to walk up it. They were perplexed when they were told not to play there. One also fell in our driveway and hurt herself.

I have zero problems with the noise of children playing. I love kids, we dont and can't have our own so I love to hear them around. I'm also not a stranger to noise having lived in a very busy estate beside a hospital previously in a very old house with no sound proofing or insulation.

Thanks for all the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

After nearly having our window put through by their ball we asked the kids to play somewhere else only for their boorish father to try and lay the law down to me and tell me the kids are going to that and there's nothing I can do about it !! :rolleyes:
    Is he bigger than you?
    In the past month we're here we had a basketball hit the living room window (which is 2 meters from the path) 3 times in total.
    If the ball hits your window again, consider deflating the ball.
    The same kids also decided that our driveway which runs along the side of our house is a great place to play football. It starts 3 meters from the road, so they had to walk up it. They were perplexed when they were told not to play there. One also fell in our driveway and hurt herself.
    Consider growing a few rose bushes in your property, and locking your gate (get a gate that isn't easy to climb over).

the_syco wrote: »
    Is he bigger than you?

Nope, considerably smaller.
    the_syco wrote: »

Consider growing a few rose bushes in your property, and locking your gate (get a gate that isn't easy to climb over).

I like the rose bush idea. We have a flower bed in front of the living room window in need of flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

A lot here think their little Johnny can do what they want.... and that’s why lot of Irish kids getting out of control and going down a slippery slope...

And another thing some of the parents here are forgetting.... they are your responsibility!

Good few kids in my estate and they play in a grass area nearby and wouldn’t dare to think of kicking a ball off someone else’s house.... it is a nice estate though with good parents

Exactly, not a chance I’d accept a basketball hitting my windows

Exactly, not a chance I’d accept a basketball hitting my windows

I was told to suck it in so many words by the father. No way I'm waiting for the window to come through. Imagine sitting the other side of it and being showered in glass as well as the damage to our TV and living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

There was a thread here recently were some lovely neighbor put a basketball ring outside someone’s house, the hard neck some people have!

OP I do sympathize with you, I’m sure you saved long and hard for your new home, everyone is entitled to the peaceful enjoyment of their own home.

I’m sure not what I’d do, but I would be facing it head on, irregardless if I become known as some crank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

I was told to suck it in so many words by the father. No way I'm waiting for the window to come through. Imagine sitting the other side of it and being showered in glass as well as the damage to our TV and living room.

Ask him how he would feel if a basket ball kept hitting his living room and hold him to whatever response he gives you

Advertisement