Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Escaping to the countryside?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're wife works, lol, she could spend that time having quality time and raising her kids properly like good mothers do in rural Ireland with tiny mortgages, or vice versa if you wanted to stay at home

So could I, lol! We have a tiny mortgage and have plenty of quality time with the kids and we raise them properly and not to judge people without knowing much about them. She likes to work three days a week and she's a good mother.
    You could also buy a very small property in rural Ireland and live off the land.
    Get a job locally that may pay less and cycle /walk there everyday. if you wanted to reduce your carbon footprint further.

As I said, I like having the city close by and all the amenities it offers. I don't have to drive to get to them, I have a job locally and I cycle/walk there every day resulting in a very low carbon footprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

John_Rambo wrote: »
    As I said, I like having the city close by and all the amenities it offers. I don't have to drive to get to them, I have a job locally and I cycle/walk there every day resulting in a very low carbon footprint.

It was honestly a serious suggestion.
    I heard about a family and they've gone off the grid to reduce their carbon footprint/etc. They found it easier in the country because they could afford a good plot of land to live off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I heard about a family and they've gone off the grid to reduce their carbon footprint/etc. They found it easier in the country because they could afford a good plot of land to live off.

I don't think he is looking to lower carbon footprint, he is trying to tell everyone that his way of living is better. If you can't compare the size you need to find carbon footprint or theatres or restaurants and pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone who says there is a constant smell of cow ****e is full of the stuff themselves.
    I personally only dislike pig manure. Cow manure is grand. Heck, it's a lot better than car fumes in the city.

I know a few who are looking to buy in the countryside, but are blocked by "local needs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

sk8erboii wrote: »
    I get it y'all. You cant stand conflict, never could. That's why when you're brought to a place thats all about competition (for money, for pussy, for fame) you just cant hack it.

Truth is, you're never gonna make it. Never will. You might aswell lay down and surrender (Go to the countryside and be alone so no one can hurt your fee fees).

You cant hack it in the arena. Here in Dublin, its a young man's game. The worn and tired slink away quietly to moldy pubs to complain about whoever they cant fight (Liberals? Immigrants? Feminists).

Thats what you are. Worn. You used to be a sharp knife. But you lost your edge. This is the time of our lives and your death.

Really piling back the champagne this weekend?

Jim Morrison meets James Joyce.

A well written piece though, nice flow to it.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I appreciate you posting an honest and serious non-sarcastic judgmental post, it's doable, but not for us.

The family is happily anchored in the community now and we're using infrastructure that's been here for years. The kids are comfortably integrated with a broad range of social and cultural influences, we're happy with that.

Our house has been lived in by families and will be lived in by families, no new building, no new hook ups, no new roads, no new cement to be poured etc... surprisingly urban recycle living has the least impact on the environment and further development on my road will have a lesser impact than a new house situated away from in-situ amenities and infrastructure.

My parents house is 200 years old and is closer to the city than I am. Plenty of people have lived and died in it over decades, the house has been recycled plenty of times. They're old and use public transport all the time.

We buy local, support local business and as I've said before, we do love the city and what is has to offer from cheap ethnic eateries to cultural pleasantries, bars, restaurants, concerts, museums, galleries and sports events.

It's a simple, low carbon, relaxed lifestyle that's at odds with the usual rhetoric that's given to suburban living. Small cycle & public transport commutes with beach and park lifestyles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

We should all aspire to the vision that De Valera described in a speech in 1943:-

"....The ideal Ireland that we would have, the Ireland that we dreamed of, would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit – a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and villages would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contest of athletic youths and the laughter of happy maidens, whose firesides would be forums for the wisdom of serene old age........

That's exactly what life in the countryside is like.............isn't it?
    Surely the great man's vision has been realised by now.........hasn't it?

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't think he is looking to lower carbon footprint, he is trying to tell everyone that his way of living is better. If you can't compare the size you need to find carbon footprint or theatres or restaurants and pubs.

We aspire to have lower carbon footprint for our own good. We don't want to spend hours in the car with the kids, or hours getting home to the kids in a car.

That's ok, isn't it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fluid dynamics, eh!? you should write an interesting article about the dynamics of the verbal scutter you're coming out with.

only messing, I actually think your posts are gas. Excellent trolling!
    verbal scutter Don't you mean Bingham plastic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I can cycle to work in 30 mins and walk to the sea in 15 and live in Dublin. Sounds like you’re the one doing all the driving! I love having neighbours tbh.

Yep, drive everywhere. Cycling and buses are not for me. Town, work, restaurants, theatre, leisure centre, football pitch etc all 10-15 minutes away. I park near where I'm going. My garden is very tranquil and not overlooked. I take my dog for a walk through the fields off his lead. All my family are in Dublin and I can can walk through the door of my mother's house within 90 minutes.

Ive done city living and commuting and thought nothing of it. It's what I was born and reared into. Now, I couldn't think of anything worse than having to return there. I openly admit it suits ME and is not for everyone. I just feel Ive more freedom to go where I want, when I want an not have my movements dictated by traffic

Also, Ive loads of neighbours. Approx 15 houses within 750 metres

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

We aspire to have lower carbon footprint for our own good. We don't want to spend hours in the car with the kids, or hours getting home to the kids in a car.

That's ok, isn't it?

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6td/

Average travel time in minutes by county (2016).

Dublin and surrounding counties take the top 7 places. Fingal, Dun Laoighare, South Dublin and Dublin City were 4th, 6th, 7th and 9th. So who is spending
    most of their time sitting in traffic?

The 12 towns with the highest % of workers doing a > 1 hour commute were all in Leinster.

The west coast counties are in the bottom 10 places (Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Kerry, Clare etc)
    Galway City is actually the lowest.

That's ok, isn't it?
    Did anyone say it isn't? But you were not talking about that you were going on how you could afford Celtic mansions and Audis if you wanted to. Good for you.

I can cycle to work in 30 mins and walk to the sea in 15 and live in Dublin. Sounds like you’re the one doing all the driving! I love having neighbours tbh.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/water-quality-at-five-dublin-beaches-judged-poor-1.3496692
    A marked deterioration in water quality at beaches in the Dublin region is outlined in the latest Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) bathing water report.

A third of 15 monitored bathing areas in the county failed to meet EU standards in 2017, and have been classified as “poor” and vulnerable to periodic pollution.

Over the past four years nine of the 15 Dublin monitored bathing waters “have shown deterioration in water quality”.

Lol... someone likes living by sea so you frantically google bad things about the sea and post them up!! You shouldn't have to put down areas to make where you live seem better. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I Was VB wrote: »
    so that’s why I want to move to Leitrim, nice and quiet, just a few acres of land and a little cottage, potter around the garden, wake up in the morning to the sound of a cock a doodle doo, instead of a cock in a BMW driving in the bus lane. Get away from city life, just me and the country air, and a few retired freedom fighters and Semtex weapons dumps, get a job in a bar for €250 per week, that’s the dream. Anyone ever do it?**

Ah sure, why not but if you've others in your life, they'd need to be in agreement too. Rural life is grand but don't expect much in the way of services, public or otherwise. Expect to have to drive a lot. Expect to pay for your own water and sewage etc and so on. Don't expect much in the way of broadband. That's just the way of it. Lots of good points but also downsides, particularly as you age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Moved to the countryside over 30 years ago from Dublin and would never go back. I live 10 minutes away from a large town, where I can park outside my workplace for €2 a day. My kids were educated in good schools and flew through university. I'm 20 from fabulous beaches and there are no end of top notch restaurants, bars, hotels, cinemas and theatres. My house is located on a mountainside, surrounded by fields and cows. I can blast my music and tv without annoying my neighbours, who have been great in my hour of need. I have 150Mb broadband, IPTV and a fridge full of beer

That's not really rural Ireland, that's ribbon development near a large town. You might as well be living in Greystones or Kilcock relative to say Dublin. 150MB broadband gives it away :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

I'm from the country but moved to Dublin 7 years ago for work. Myself and my partner bought up here recently enough but in the next few years we are going to have to make a decision about where we want to live long term and its looking very likely that its going to be in the country.

My situation is probably different to some on here as I'd only consider moving to the area I grew up in (and thankfully my partner is ok with that) as most of my family and friends still live there which is the main reason I'd want to move back especially when it comes to the stage of us having children. Also I just think my children would have a more enjoyable childhood in the countryside.

Main issue is jobs in our field of work are nearly all in Dublin but hopefully with the move to more remote working then won't need to travel every day plus with lower mortgage only one of us might need to work. I know one working families is very unusual in Dublin nowadays but is still not that unusual in the country.

Lol... someone likes living by sea so you frantically google bad things about the sea and post them up!! You shouldn't have to put down areas to make where you live seem better. ;)

I wont let you off that easy. You made the assertion that people in rural areas spent longer in their cars commuting to work. I proved you were talking nonsense but of course you will never admit when you're wrong.
    Not interested in long car drive commuting and the rage that seems to go with it (judging by this thread).

Here you are again: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6td/

There is also no doubt that going to the beach in Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Clare, Galway, Sligo is a damn sight better than any seaside in Dublin.
    The Irish Sea is not a patch on the Wild Atlantic Way.

I wont let you off that easy. You made the assertion that people in rural areas spent longer in their cars commuting to work. I proved you were talking nonsense but of course you will never admit when you're wrong.

Lol, very good. Read back my friend I said that if we moved to the country we'd be more car reliant than I am now! Currently we use bikes and public transport to get around and use the cars at the weekend. You see in the city and suburbs we have trains and buses, there's also cycle lanes.

In rural areas throughout the world there isn't

Not working, fix it and I'll check in later, I don't have time, I'm off West for some wind and waves.
    There is also no doubt that going to the beach in Kerry, Mayo, Donegal, Clare, Galway, Sligo is a damn sight better than any seaside in Dublin.

Believe me! I've surfed and sailed off the coast of each of these counties and I worked on the WAW initiative when it was developed in Dublin! It's fantastic that you use the destinational marketing name we came up with, shows what a good job we did.

Every sea has unique offerings Snow Garden ;)

Not working, fix it and I'll check in later, I don't have time, I'm off West for some wind and waves.

I already summarised the commuting statistics for you yesterday. Here you go (for the 3rd time now);

Dublin and surrounding counties take the top 7 places. Fingal, Dun Laoighare, South Dublin and Dublin City were 4th, 6th, 7th and 9th. So who is spending
    most of their time sitting in traffic?

The 12 towns with the highest % of workers doing a > 1 hour commute were all in Leinster.

The west coast counties are in the bottom 10 places (Donegal, Mayo, Sligo, Kerry, Clare etc). Galway City is actually the lowest.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6td/

Every sea has unique offerings Snow Garden wink.png

Yes and for the Irish Sea the unique offering is it's radioactivity! :p The Irish Sea is described by Greenpeace as the most radioactively contaminated sea in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I live and farm in rural Cavan.
    Just started a job in Cavan town, which is 12 miles away.
    My commute is 20 minutes and costs about 15 euro per week, diesel wise.
    Wife works in Dublin city centre, 80 miles away.
    Her commute is 2 hours 20 minutes.
    20 minutes into Cavan, and 2 hours on the 109x.
    Her commute costs about 140 euro a week.
    You would want to be paying me a serious wage to entice me to do what she does.
    In reality, 450 per week in your pocket in Cavan town would be better than 750 in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

BarryD2 wrote: »
    That's not really rural Ireland, that's ribbon development near a large town. You might as well be living in Greystones or Kilcock relative to say Dublin. 150MB broadband gives it away :)

Rural does not have to mean isolated. I'm surrounded by farmland, up a mountain and 2kms from the N road to the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Omackeral wrote: »
    PaleSilentBufflehead-small.gif

Hahah the perfect gif reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Ever get tired of city life? I know I have, Currently living in south dublin city centre and working in north Dublin, I’m tired of a hour sitting in traffic each way to get to work, tired of paying €3.50 per hour for parking, tired of little scruffs thinking they are gangsters, tired of junkies, cyclists, not having change out of two pints from a tenner (I know it’s been that way for ages) tired of walking Instagram accounts, tired of people looking down thier nose at people who have a €20 less than them in thier pockets, tired of trials by social media, tired of knocked together houses being sold for €500k just because of the postcode*

so that’s why I want to move to Leitrim, nice and quiet, just a few acres of land and a little cottage, potter around the garden, wake up in the morning to the sound of a cock a doodle doo, instead of a cock in a BMW driving in the bus lane. Get away from city life, just me and the country air, and a few retired freedom fighters and Semtex weapons dumps, get a job in a bar for €250 per week, that’s the dream. Anyone ever do it?**

* I realize most of these problems aren’t exclusively city related.

** probably not going to move to Leitrim or the arsehole of Ireland in the immediate future but thinking about it the last while and I need some inspiration.

Yeah but aren't you much more likely to be burgled if you live in a rural area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Here you are again: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp6ci/p6cii/p6td/

Galway has no especially impressive beaches

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I live and farm in rural Cavan.
    Just started a job in Cavan town, which is 12 miles away.
    My commute is 20 minutes and costs about 15 euro per week, diesel wise.
    Wife works in Dublin city centre, 80 miles away.
    Her commute is 2 hours 20 minutes.
    20 minutes into Cavan, and 2 hours on the 109x.
    Her commute costs about 140 euro a week.
    You would want to be paying me a serious wage to entice me to do what she does.
    In reality, 450 per week in your pocket in Cavan town would be better than 750 in Dublin.

Just as well Dublin has a hundred times more to offer than Cavan, your wife must really have few renumeration options if she drives that far to Dublin

El_Bee wrote: »
    Yeah but aren't you much more likely to be burgled if you live in a rural area?
    Not really. I think there are less opportune burglaries but once someone decides to get into your house they will. And once they do they can do more damage before anyone notices.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Just as well Dublin has a hundred times more to offer than Cavan, your wife must really have few renumeration options if she drives that far to Dublin

A lot more options of the same stuff, I suppose.
    You haven't seen the M3 at 7am lately, its chock a block with white vans doing the same trip.
    She takes the bus, far cheaper than driving, not to mention having to pay parking for ghe day.
    Downside of that is the scobies on the bus .....

Galway has no especially impressive beaches

What?

Dogs Bay and Gurteen Bay are 2 of the best beaches in Ireland.

There is also Tra Mor, Ballyconneely, Kilmurvey, Coral Strand and Silverstrand.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    A lot more options of the same stuff, I suppose.
    You haven't seen the M3 at 7am lately, its chock a block with white vans doing the same trip.
    She takes the bus, far cheaper than driving, not to mention having to pay parking for ghe day.
    Downside of that is the scobies on the bus .....

I take my hat off to her, the idea of two hours morning and evening on the bus is hell to me, that's a days work in of itself

What?

Takes an age to get out there

Takes an age to get out there

Not for me.

Silverstrand is 5km from Salthill. Tra Mor is about 20 mins from the city.

The way I see it, there are many Urban folks that would prefer to live in the countryside. However it's very rare for a Rural dweller to want to move back to the city.

In fairness, the vast majority of people aren't going to get a home of comparable quality in Dublin with the money they'd get from selling their home in rural Ireland. As recently as the 1980s it was still possible to do this. Not now, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What?

Inis Oirr beach is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Jesus H Christ, why has this turned into another rural Vs Dublin thread?

It's not about that. It's about someone considering moving.

I took the jump 4 years ago, from Dublin to rural and there are pros and cons.

PROS:

1. My commute takes 35 minutes each way, this doesn't bother me in the slightest because I know that's what it will take every day. In Dublin you can not predict your commute, could be 35 minutes could be 2 hours.

2. Peace and quiet. I close my door in the evening and I don't have to hear another sound or I can blare my music or television as loud as I like.

3. Cost. Probably should have put this as No. 1 but my rent here is 1/2 of what my mortgage in Dublin was and 1/3 of what my rent would be if I had to rent in Dublin.

4. Look out my window at beautiful views every day which change season on season.

5. Can guarantee the majority of people in my area know my name and would notice if I was missing.

CONS:

1. Internet sketchy at best. This is a major challenge now when most things we rely on day to day are internet based.

2. Have to drive every day more or less.

3. Can't order a takeaway if you're just too bleeding tired to cook.

4. Having a night out requires major planning in terms of how to get there and home etc. if you're having a drink.

5. Nosy neighbours who can take the hump over the slightest hump. I had one asking me what was my problem because I didn't salute her on the road when I'm half blind. :D:D

All in all I'd say my ideal world would be a compromise between the two. For example if I won the lotto I'd buy a mansion somewhere like Greystones.

• Advertisement

Snotty wrote: »
    Lived and worked in Dublin, Belfast and London, now moved to rural Mayo and its a dream. 10 minutes for a largish town, 15 minute commute in the morning, large house on a acre with views of countryside for miles around. I could earn 3 times more in Dublin but would have less of everything else that makes life worth living.

Would I go back to Dublin, not a chance, Belfast or London, slightly better, but Dublin is a horrible place, full of scum, a sole crushing city with very few redeeming attributes.

At the risk of being pilloried, there are loads and loads of really nice areas in Dublin where 'the scum' are not a visual presence. That house prices often make these areas inaccessible to many people doesn't negate the fact that Dublin has very many lovely, safe areas where a good sense of community exists along with excellent facilities, schools, parks, sea and mountains. There's a lot of need in this thread to justify decisions by denigrating Dublin, when the real problem with Dublin is the cost of accommodation - you will get far better accommodation outside Dublin for the same money. If somebody can only afford to live in Dublin's poorest areas, they will also find a safer community outside Dublin. But for most other people, the greater range of facilities, events, transport infrastructure, etc give Dublin the edge.

Lastly, the scene when you walk down Coliemore Road in Dalkey, for instance (yes, that's a 7th-century church on the island in the background):

scan0236.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

At the risk of being pilloried, there are loads and loads of really nice areas in Dublin where 'the scum' are not a visual presence. That house prices often make these areas inaccessible to many people doesn't negate the fact that Dublin has very many lovely, safe areas where a good sense of community exists along with excellent facilities, schools, parks, sea and mountains. There's a lot of need in this thread to justify decisions by denigrating Dublin, when the real problem with Dublin is the cost of accommodation - you will get far better accommodation outside Dublin for the same money. If somebody can only afford to live in Dublin's poorest areas, they will also find a safer community outside Dublin. But for most other people, the greater range of facilities, events, transport infrastructure, etc give Dublin the edge.

Lastly, the 'horrible' scene when you walk down Coliemore Road in Dalkey, for instance (yes, that's a 7th-century church on the island in the background):

scan0236.jpg

Which goes to prove my point above. If I won the lotto I'd definitely live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Some people prefer the city and some people prefer the country, it is as simple as that...

Some of the posts in this thread almost seem like people are trying to convince themselves of why the country or city lifestyle is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Ever get tired of city life? I know I have, Currently living in south dublin city centre and working in north Dublin, I’m tired of a hour sitting in traffic each way to get to work, tired of paying €3.50 per hour for parking, tired of little scruffs thinking they are gangsters, tired of junkies, cyclists, not having change out of two pints from a tenner (I know it’s been that way for ages) tired of walking Instagram accounts, tired of people looking down thier nose at people who have a €20 less than them in thier pockets, tired of trials by social media, tired of knocked together houses being sold for €500k just because of the postcode*

* I realize most of these problems aren’t exclusively city related.

** probably not going to move to Leitrim or the arsehole of Ireland in the immediate future but thinking about it the last while and I need some inspiration.

I actually did this in Carrick on Shannon during the recession. Except I was job seeking at the time so there was no €250 a week job, just €204 a week at the time. Its ok, I'm now paying the social solidarity levy now myself. As far as what I was doing with my time - philosopher / theologian. (an incredibly busy one at that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I made the move over twenty years ago - I never underestimated beautiful Dublin that's where I was rared but even then I know I wouldn't be able to afford Bullock harbour views in my future. I love the country but it took years to do so. It isn't easy to leave the city you grew up in, despite the traffic etc - it really annoys me that people still can't afford to live where their parents did. The countryside is beautiful though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

The problem with people living rurally is they want the same services as urbanites do. Some rural dwellers want fibre optic broadband, some want a squad car patrolling nearby to deter burglaries, others object to paying more for their phone/broadband even though it costs more to provide their home with a line because their lines are fed by overground poles on private land, some want a bus stop outside of their driveway so they won't have to pay for a taxi, I'm sure others have complained about an ambulance or fire brigade not showing up in time.

We have a very entitled rural population who just don't comprehend how expensive it is to provide services to one-off houses and how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are. These homes are also breeding grounds for parish pump politicians, like the Healy-Raes who exploit this entitled attitude by beating the "Dublin is neglecting us" drum for their own political gain.

We have a very serious problem with one-off housing in this country and something needs to be done about it, they were banned for all but a "locals only" clause a year ago, but it's too little too late. Eircom rolled out broadband to 350k semi-rural one-off houses, if people want fibre optic internet, they should sell their homes and move to semi-rural one covered by Eircom's rural rollout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

A few years ago meself and the brother pooled our cash and bought a derilct cottage on 1 third of an acre. The plan was to get stuck in, get it back to its original beauty. In the meantime the brother decides to do the backpack thing across SE ASIA. Spent the lot on brassers and drink so he sold me his half for 12 grand so he could continue his std filled adventure. Anyways it's mine now. Still derilct and I haven't got the money to get started yet but we plan to use it as a holiday home and when the youngones finishes second level and heads off to college we plan to make if our home for good. It's between Durris and Bantry co. Cork. The views are 'fkkn amazing

Spent the lot on brassers

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brasser

Are you from North Cork like the site says?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

We have a very entitled rural population who just don't comprehend how expensive it is to provide services to one-off houses and how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are. These homes are also breeding grounds for parish pump politicians, like the Healy-Raes who exploit this entitled attitude by beating the "Dublin is neglecting us" drum for their own political gain.

I see this claim being made quite a lot, maybe its true?
    But is there any evidence to suggest that rural areas are very heavily subsidised compared to urban folk?
    As a poster mentioned earlier a lot of extra costs in bringing services to one off houses are born out by the person building the house at the time,
    in a lot of cases people have to pay to get there own fresh water supply and sewage systems.
    So maybe there is increased allowance spent on roads or guards to cover rural areas?
    I know it costs a lot more to provide broadband to rural areas and think people should accept higher costs associated with that.
    Ide be interested to see evedince of rural areas being so heavily subsided.

The problem with people living rurally is they want the same services as urbanites do. Some rural dwellers want fibre optic broadband, some want a squad car patrolling nearby to deter burglaries, others object to paying more for their phone/broadband even though it costs more to provide their home with a line because their lines are fed by overground poles on private land, some want a bus stop outside of their driveway so they won't have to pay for a taxi, I'm sure others have complained about an ambulance or fire brigade not showing up in time.

We have a very serious problem with one-off housing in this country and something needs to be done about it, they were banned for all but a "locals only" clause a year ago, but it's too little too late. Eircom rolled out broadband to 350k semi-rural one-off houses, if people want fibre optic internet, they should sell their homes and move to semi-rural one covered by Eircom's rural rollout.

We have always had a ruralistic mentality as a nation, policy in government was always disproportionately concerned with rural voters

We have always had a ruralistic mentality as a nation, policy in government was always disproportionately concerned with rural voters

Because they vote. Why would you bother with someone in Ballymun if they don't vote amd if they do their vote goes to go some fringe party that won't have enough support to threaten the position of others. Pensioners also get more representation for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Rural does not have to mean isolated. I'm surrounded by farmland, up a mountain and 2kms from the N road to the town.

Agreed. Moved from Dublin to country.
    30 seconds to N road, 40 minutes to work by car which is 40 km away. A faster commute than 5km in city.

10 minutes to beach. 150mb broadband. 10 minutes to a decent sized town.
    Even got pizza delivery to the door. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Ever get tired of city life? I know I have ...

... Anyone ever do it?

Yep, 15 years ago. Got fed up trying to raise children in an urban environment - so much time wasted driving them to activities, so many "do not" signs everywhere, so much "stuff" everywhere. Was in England at the time, came back to Ireland for a look (at Dublin) and thought ye'd all gone mad. Figured out I'd have to work till I was 75 to pay a mortgage on a 3-bed semi-D ... so moved to France instead and bought a house with land for cash.

When I visit family in suburban Dublin (the supposed "best of both worlds within easy reach") it confirms that it was the right decision. Their lives are so busy for no apparent benefit.

The problem with people living rurally is they want the same services as urbanites do.

What services? If you exclude urbanites who want to pretend to be living in the country, most people who "live rurally" are quite happy with not having all the attractions and distractions of an urban environment.

Even so, things are not always as backward as you might accept: I've got fast 4G broadband in the middle of rural nowhere, 9€99 a month (unlimited calls, text, data); my Dublin 16 sister has no mobile signal (coz the residents association objected to having a mast on the estate).

We have a very entitled rural population who just don't comprehend how expensive it is to provide services to one-off houses and how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are.

The thing is, a lot of the infrastructure is long ago paid for.
    The ESB lines are there since the 30's/40's, ( although my mothers home place only got power in the late 50's) and most phone lines since the 1960's.
    Roads are mostly 50 years established.

The problems people buying in the country run into are sometimes due to unfamiliarity with basic engineering/science.
    They buy a cottage in scenic splendour, but are blind to the fact that its in a hollow, with poor mobile coverage, perhaps with poor drainage, on a steep hill thats inaccessible in frost etc etc.

Its a falsehood to state that rural dwellers want services provided, and dont comprehend how expensive these sre.

In the country, you need line-of-sight to get decent broadband (and a local supplier) and a line of sight of the Astra satellite for TV.
    You will be on either a Group Scheme ( local co-op run) or your own spring or bored well.
    Group Scheme will cost anything between 150 and 350 a year, a bored well will cost ESB running costs and perhaps a pump engineers call out now and then. If your pump burns out, budget between 700 to a 1000 euro.
    If you need to drill a well and set up from scratch, expect to pay anything between 3500 and 5000 euro.
    You will have a septic tank. Time will come when attempts will be made to tax both it and your well, but you will probably need to get it emptied every ten years or so.
    So what I'm saying is, country living isn't for people who want "all their services provided" for them.
    The urban home owner pays these costs in the price of their house, the developer has paid all the Council levies, ESB and eircom and sewage connection costs etc, and passed on the cost.
    On the flip side, you have much more freedom and privacy.
    A lot depends on your temperment and personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The problem with people living rurally is they want the same services as urbanites do. Some rural dwellers want fibre optic broadband, some want a squad car patrolling nearby to deter burglaries, others object to paying more for their phone/broadband even though it costs more to provide their home with a line because their lines are fed by overground poles on private land, some want a bus stop outside of their driveway so they won't have to pay for a taxi, I'm sure others have complained about an ambulance or fire brigade not showing up in time. We have a very entitled rural population who just don't comprehend how expensive it is to provide services to one-off houses and how heavily subsidised their lifestyles are. These homes are also breeding grounds for parish pump politicians, like the Healy-Raes who exploit this entitled attitude by beating the "Dublin is neglecting us" drum for their own political gain.

Generalise much? We seem to have a serious problem with self appointed experts on all things rural with large potatoes on their shoulders. But there you go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement