Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mavic cosmic rebuild

Options
  • 14-05-2019 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭

I had a crash last week and in the process my rear wheel got ran over and fairly well buckled. It's a Mavic cosmic SLS. All the spokes are intact, hub looks OK but I'd say the rim is a right off as there's a distinct kink in it as opposed to just being warped and a few cracks in the carbon fairing.
    Has anyone any experience with having one of these rebuilt? Is it worth the hassle? What kind of prices would I be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I suggest bringing the wheel into Humphries Cycles in Finglas.
    They'll steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I haven't spent long looking but the rims are expensive, one site was 200 of the queens notes just for the rim.

They can't be quick to build, internal nipples and bladed spokes.

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/products/2_359.pdf

I think that is your wheel

16 radial spokes on front, 10 radial on nds rear and 10 2 cross on ds; the builder would want to be very comfortable with low spoke count wheels. I know one man who does such rebuilds for lads with plenty power and they are coming to him for years. No tension meter, no truing stand. So it can be done if you find the right mechanic, price it up and you can make your mind up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

OP - I can recommend a very good wheel builder who would have no problem rebuilding the wheel. He’s also very reasonable and I have personal experience of his work. If interested, I’ll send you a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

As per the other recommendations I think having the rim replaced is definitely worth investigating. A rebuilt wheel should be at least as good as the original. The alternative to a rebuild is that you end up with an expensive hub and spokes that are essentially useless, which is frustrating to say the least.

If all of the spokes are undamaged then you are lucky (relatively speaking!), as Mavic spokes are typically ludicrously expensive to buy and likely to push a rebuild cost stupidly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It is possible/likely that some of the spokes will have been stressed in the crash so you should try to source a few replacements just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

letape wrote: »
    OP - I can recommend a very good wheel builder who would have no problem rebuilding the wheel. He’s also very reasonable and I have personal experience of his work. If interested, I’ll send you a pm.
    I have used the same guy.
    A very good wheel builder and as letape says ..very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭fat bloke

letape wrote: »

I'll take that recommendation off you as well Letape please if you don't mind sending me a pm, or posting it up?

I will drop you a pm with his details as its the same guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Cheers lads, may as well get the details off you so and he can give me an idea of what he can do.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Cheers lads, may as well get the details off you so and he can give me an idea of what he can do.
    PM incoming....

• Advertisement
Advertisement