Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Cat

Options
  • 14-05-2019 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭

We’ve two cats, both outdoors cats, rescue cats got all their vaccinations neutered and spayed, three years old.
    Worked every 6-8 weeks although the vet said maybe every 4 weeks since they roam so much outside

Not unusual for either to go off for a day or two as we have a farm and lots of space to roam.

One went off for three days, I searched and found her in a shed curled up.
    Brought her home and she seemed very unwell, got her to the vet.
    High temp and ulcer in her mouth.

She got a 14 day antibiotic and something to take temp down.

She’s been a week now just drinking a bit but not eating and loosing weight.

Yesterday I started syringe feeding her egg yoke and oil from salmon tin. And can see an improvement in strength and alertness already.

She’s booked to go back to vet on Friday.

We’re syringe feeding her three times a day and being a semi wild cat it’s no fun.

She’s very careful drinking and I feel the pain from the ulcer is stopping her eat.

Any other suggestions what to syringe feed her ??
    Anything to help an ulcer in her mouth heal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I would phone your vet in the am and ask if you should wait until friday to bring her back - if shes not eating at all thats not good - cats need to eat regularly.

Have you tried to mince up very fine some cooked chicken, or mash up that salmon into a paste and try little bits on your finger? Mash up some wet cat food pate style and smear it on your finger for her to lick?

Poor little cat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Could the cat have gotten into some poisoned bait or whatever? Cats that don't eat, not good, they tend to go downhill fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

With work Friday evening is the best we can do as regards vet visit.

With the three times daily she’s getting stronger, I can tell from the resistance to feeding.

We’ve tried all sorts of food mashed, all her favourites, salmon, mackerel, chicken, she just sniffs and walks off.

Still drinking water.

Got some kitten milk, but honestly it’s not that calorie dense and I don’t want to feed large volumes at any one time, keeping to 25ml each time.

Yesterday she purred when I was stroking her, that’s first time in over a week.
    She also stretches when she gets up now, in cattle that’s a good sign but I’m not sure if it’s significant in cats.

We don’t put down poison bait, haven’t in years, we got the cats so we didn’t have to. There are other houses about so I can’t say 100%, I asked the vet about that and she didn’t think that was the case either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

_Brian wrote: »
    With work Friday evening is the best we can do as regards vet visit.

With the three times daily she’s getting stronger, I can tell from the resistance to feeding.

We’ve tried all sorts of food mashed, all her favourites, salmon, mackerel, chicken, she just sniffs and walks off.

Still drinking water.

Got some kitten milk, but honestly it’s not that calorie dense and I don’t want to feed large volumes at any one time, keeping to 25ml each time.

Yesterday she purred when I was stroking her, that’s first time in over a week.
    She also stretches when she gets up now, in cattle that’s a good sign but I’m not sure if it’s significant in cats.

We don’t put down poison bait, haven’t in years, we got the cats so we didn’t have to. There are other houses about so I can’t say 100%, I asked the vet about that and she didn’t think that was the case either.

you are doing great< Instead of plain water can you make up some simple rehydration fluid?

Basically a litre of water, a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of salt.

This will give her important nutrients.
    I kept a collie alive 72 hrs on this when she was so thunderphobic she would not eat or drink

And she knows best re food; she sounds to be coming better... and yes , the purring and stretching are very good signs indeed .. one very sick one of mine lived on tuna for months; started her by letting her lick my tuna oiled finger . smeared her mouth the first time so she got a lick!

Cat was back with the vet today :(

Vet was really happy with her condition as she is much more alert and stronger, keep doing what your doing was the message.

However.
    The ulcer in her mouth is now a load of ulcers including down her throat and the pain is preventing her eating.
    Worrying that they are worse as she’s been in all the time and not exposed to anything outside. She said it “might” still be the result of a chemical burn, but that’s less likely now. She’s thinking more about cancer now, we did a blood test today and no virus shown so that’s ruled out.

Back on Monday possibly a steroid injection to see how that goes for a few days.

Have strong pain killers and antibiotic to administer daily and keep feeding three times a day. Possibly with the pain killer she may feed herself which wound he great.

While she’s a mostly wild cat she’s very friendly with my youngest girl who is 10 and she’s fairly sad abkut it. Cat is only three so young for cancer the vet said.

Vet said maybe be thinking of putting her down next week if it continues to worsen and she’s still in pain.

Ses is pining to get out as she’s always been a great outdoors cat, vet said keep her in as she may go off and hide as they do when sick.

• Advertisement

Op you are doing great.

Pain relief seems to be making no difference, not feeding herself at all but getting stronger from feeding.

I’ll bring her in on Monday but if her mouth is still getting worse I’m thinking of asking vet to put her down.

Pain relief seems to be making no difference, not feeding herself at all but getting stronger from feeding.

I’ll bring her in on Monday but if her mouth is still getting worse I’m thinking of asking vet to put her down.

Your decision of course but she is more than coping. Give the abs time to work

So better news thankfully.

Was back with the vet again.
    Ulcers are looking a bit better and the cat is now much stronger. Gave B12 injection and I’m giving steroid tablets over next three days.

She’s started eating herself again and back to usual levels of energy. Purring and stretching.

All going well she will get some freedom outside tomorrow and we will see how that goes. Vet said once she was eating normally to let her out and that is why she likes best. She’s been two weeks in the garage and at the moment sits in the window all day watching the other cat and chickens out and about.

She’s out and about today and relaxed, hanging about with the other cat, took food from my hand.

I wouldn’t say 100% just yet but we’ll on and content to be out of the garage.

371-CB732-56-F4-41-C7-8-ABE-A444945181-D3.jpg

• Advertisement

Sadly our wee cat relapsed badly and went off her food again.

Plan was for vet this afternoon after work.

However she slipped out of the garage yesterday evening and is missing since.

Now just a wait and see if she returns but I think that’s unlikely.

Have to say my 10yo daughter is heartbroken.

She came home at some stage today but sadly was dead when we found her.

Part of having pets and animals.

So sorry to hear about your cat. You did everything you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,570 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Terrible news Brian. So sorry to hear that.

We’re left pondering do we replace her and have company for our big softie left or leave him as a lone cat. My daughter is terribly worried he will be lonely.

Added bother he was attacked by a local wild cat at the weekend for second time and while still lame is getting better :(

He'll adjust and be fine. He will wander around calling for a bit, but eventually he'll stop doing that. It's what mine did. If anything he'll be more attentive to his owners.

She came home at some stage today but sadly was dead when we found her.

Part of having pets and animals.

Brian, cats will often go and hide when they know they are near death. even long lived house pets. Also often animals will get a sudden spell of wellness soon before they die .. just is their way and not any blame on thee.

((HUGS))

Advertisement