Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrician for a big(ger) job

Options
  • 09-05-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

What is the approach here (I live in Kildare) for finding a good electrician for a bigger job? Need my house rewired (new fusebox, two dozen sockets, switches etc). Do you guys ring just around or how would you approach this?

I would intuitively have two or three people do a quote but already get the feeling that there seems to be a sellers market out there and nobody can be bothered, even with a bigger job. I already read on this forum that waiting for electricians is bigger than the job itself.

So, advice is very welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Remember when getting quotes that cheaper isn't necessarily better, and that there are other factors to consider.

Also, waiting isn't a bad thing. People are busy for a reason. It shouldn't necessarily be a positive that someone can do the job tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Understand.

Do you work along recommendations or do you go through yellow pages or google locals to find people? What are your experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

ampleforth wrote: »
    Understand.

Do you work along recommendations or do you go through yellow pages or google locals to find people? What are your experiences?

I would definitely try go by recommendations, as mentioned waiting isn’t a bad thing. A lot of trades now are very busy and is certainly hard to source anyone for small jobs. As yours is big enough you might be lucky. At this stage I would be suspect of an electrician who had no work on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1
    Recommendations are the way to go. The quality of workmanship varies greatly. Some are reluctant to move with the times too. Nowadays with so much more on offer in terms of modern lighting, home automation, TV, audio and network requirements it is important to get an electrician that has a bit of imagination.

2011 wrote: »
    +1
    Recommendations are the way to go. The quality of workmanship varies greatly. Some are reluctant to move with the times too. Nowadays with so much more on offer in terms of modern lighting, home automation, TV, audio and network requirements it is important to get an electrician that has a bit of imagination.

Good point. I was not even thinking much in that direction as I simply want somebody who does not make a mess, who does not drag the job around and who does not overcharge me too much.

• Advertisement

Everything else I see as a plus.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ampleforth wrote: »
    Good point. I was not even thinking much in that direction as I simply want somebody who does not make a mess, who does not drag the job around and who does not overcharge me too much.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the mess, it can be cleaned up. Substandard wiring or wiring that fails to meet your needs can be very difficult and expensive to rectify usually resulting in the end user living with a compromise. If you intend on living in this house for a long time then you should think long term.

Advertisement