Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick cat found

Options
  • 29-04-2019 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, over the weekend I found a cat hiding in the shed. It growled at me when I approached it, I didn't see it's face just a black mound of fur.

Now he's looking up I can see he's very ill. Must have cat flu. Feel awful for him. His eyes and nose are streaming he's very weak.

I gave him some water he doesn't want food. Would a vet take him if he's contagious? Is there anything I can do for him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Contact an animal charity, preferably a cat specific charity.

We are not allowed name them here for some reason, so just google.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Where are you based? People can PM suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lillysue99

Thank you both. I have been emailing back and forth today with a cat rescue place.
    The cat is drinking, but still not eating and very weak. They advised me on keeping him warm, food etc.

I got some info today on a possible owner. I will contact her this evening to see if he is hers. He's going to the vet first thing if not. I can't take the guilt looking at him.

I just gave him water and he tried to stand and let out the saddest croaky cry. I almost cried myself. So he'll be helped tomorrow by the vet in whatever way is best for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

It would be good to get a rescue to come in and help you catch him more so if you think he’s feral or can’t locate owner. He might be ok to pick up but I’ve seen people trying to pick up unfamiliar cats and it doesn’t usually end well for the human even when wearing garden gloves :)

Cats will bolt when they feel unsafe and go into silent mode to hide which can actually be detrimental to them so it would be advisable to get a secure carrier from someone when you are bringing him to vet. Well done for minding him! I wonder has he been missing for a while from someone ? Is he jet black or does he have any markings?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Lillysue99 wrote: »
    Thank you both. I have been emailing back and forth today with a cat rescue place.
    The cat is drinking, but still not eating and very weak. They advised me on keeping him warm, food etc.

I got some info today on a possible owner. I will contact her this evening to see if he is hers. He's going to the vet first thing if not. I can't take the guilt looking at him.

I just gave him water and he tried to stand and let out the saddest croaky cry. I almost cried myself. So he'll be helped tomorrow by the vet in whatever way is best for him.

Poor little guy. Hopefully he’ll be ok, cats a very resilient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

any update on the cat? WELL DONE you for caring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lillysue99

So sorry for this late reply. There have been a lot of family problems and I meant to reply to this several times but got distracted.

The poor old cat was put to sleep. The vet said he must have been a stray who had been neglected for years. He said he was middle aged.

He did not have cat flu as I thought. It was much worse than that. He had feline AIDS and leukaemia. I felt so sorry for him as he was in such a state.

They said they would assess him, but that it didn't look good. When I rang them the following day they had put him down.

Thank you all for your kind words. I hope he didn't suffer too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lillysue99 wrote: »
    So sorry for this late reply. There have been a lot of family problems and I meant to reply to this several times but got distracted.

The poor old cat was put to sleep. The vet said he must have been a stray who had been neglected for years. He said he was middle aged.

He did not have cat flu as I thought. It was much worse than that. He had feline AIDS and leukaemia. I felt so sorry for him as he was in such a state.

They said they would assess him, but that it didn't look good. When I rang them the following day they had put him down.

Thank you all for your kind words. I hope he didn't suffer too much.

Bless you for caring and for going the extra mile. ((((HUGS))))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

You did the right thing and eased his suffering. Well done, you are a very kind person.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,560 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The poor cat. You done the right thing. Well done.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement