Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trout for beginners

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Minnow are not a coarse fish.

Not for the purpose of the 806 2006 bye law. However, the aforementioned 595 1977 bye law although entitled "the control of fishing for coarse fish in freshwater" bye law covers all freshwater fish. Also a minnow trap is indiscriminate in its abilty to catch fish therefore is capable of catching other species of freshwater fish. As an angler you will appreciate that you don't have to have caught a fish to be "fishing". Best check with your local ifi officer for clarity as advised by a previous poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Lads just a quick question, are you able to spin for trout and if so is it succesful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Lads just a quick question, are you able to spin for trout and if so is it succesful

Mepps size 1 is my go to when fishing for trout. Only use worms if my daughter is fishing with me. But I always spin.
    Nothing more boring than casting out a worm and waiting. Spinning you can cover a lot more water. And it’s more exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You sure can and it sure is.

On a river it's the same as every other method of trout fishing, always cast upstream and reel in to make the bait/lure look natural.

Trout will always face upstream and they are always looking for something to eat.

The thing is usually if they are going to take a worm or a mepps, they will the first or second time they see it. Keep fishing upstream until you meet trout.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Thanks for the advice lads. One last thing is there a certain time to of year to spin better than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for the advice lads. One last thing is there a certain time to of year to spin better than others.

My opinion would be the particular day is more important than the month, I would never spin on a bright sunny day unless it was straight after a flood and the water was a bit brown.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Thanks lads and good fishing to yous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Thanks lads and good fishing to yous.

In my experience a dark water with a nice flow is perfect. Not too deep. Normally 4-6 will produce fish. But you’ll also be surprised by trout in tiny stretches of water. A small pool could have a monster lying in it so never just assume there’s nothing there. Look for over hanging trees or rocks aswell. A big tick could have a good size trout lying behind it or just under it. So always go for them spots. Just be careful not to snag yourself.

Advertisement