Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sportives for 2018 to target

Options
  • 13-01-2018 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭

Looking for smaller low key events where funds go to cycling club organizing the event.

1. Donegal Bay sportive 14th April 2018 - Donegal Bay cc - -did this last year not very fit and regrettably bypassed the last loop to add 500m to the route(must set that right this year) tough spin, super scenery and value for money,none better.

2. Slieve bloom extreme challenge - 13th October Wolftrap CC - always on radar but never got to do it

3.Mick Byrne/Orwell randonee/an other - looking for advice here please

whats your 2 cents?
    thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I also want to do your first 2 choices this year. I’d say Donegal Bay would be brilliant, never cycled there before either so would be a great one to do.

I’m definitely doing the Blackstairs Challenge and Tour de Kilkenny 160 both were great challenges last year so have to go back for more this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Looking for smaller low key events where funds go to cycling club organizing the event.

1. Donegal Bay sportive 14th April 2018 - Donegal Bay cc - -did this last year not very fit and regrettably bypassed the last loop to add 500m to the route(must set that right this year) tough spin, super scenery and value for money,none better.

2. Slieve bloom extreme challenge - 13th October Wolftrap CC - always on radar but never got to do it

3.Mick Byrne/Orwell randonee/an other - looking for advice here please

whats your 2 cents?
    thanks
    J

Don't underestimate sleeve bloom, the 3rd climb (glendine) is extremely tough, i did it last year and a lot of cyclists walked up it with there bikes. I'd defo recommend it though, it's a good challenge and well run event. I crashed on the 1st decent and had support from the organisers for the majority of it afterwards. It's far tougher than wicklow 200 in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

The Tour of the Glens is one Ive heard loads about as being a classic. its May 6th

I did the Tour of Mayo in 2015 and its brilliant. It clashes though with the Mick Byrne

Also if going up north for the Innishowen 100, you could also do the Bill Kerr the day before that starts in Ballymena!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

If you enjoy Mick Byrne and the Orwell Randonnee, then the Reservoir Dog should be your "an other".

Hope to get to the Causeway Coast Sportif also even though it will probably clash with the Rebel Tour again.

Must check out the Slieve Bloom Challenge - sounds interesting 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

If you enjoy Mick Byrne and the Orwell Randonnee, then the Reservoir Dog should be your "an other".

Mercian Pro has nailed it here with the Reservoir Dog.

The Dog & the Randonnee are really great days out with exceptional volunteers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Hope to get to the Causeway Coast Sportif also even though it will probably clash with the Rebel Tour again.

Must check out the Slieve Bloom Challenge - sounds interesting ��

have done neither the MB nor OR maybe i should target those?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

seanin4711 wrote: »
    have done neither the MB nor OR maybe i should target those?

Assumed you had. Both are very well organised with a lot of club involvement. They offer a choice of distance too if you don't fancy the full 200 (MB) or 145 (OR).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

+1 for the Orwell Randonnee and Reservoir Dog. Two exceptionally well-run sportives.

The Gran Fondo NI was a great event on closed roads, food stops not great and not sure if it’s on this year?

MB 200 is great. Blackstairs Cycling Challenge and the Mt. Leinster Challenge also very good. The Mt. Leinster had a very tough “ultimate” version with 3 different ascents of the Mountain this year.

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Red Belly wrote: »
    +1 for the Orwell Randonnee and Reservoir Dog. Two exceptionally well-run sportives.

The Gran Fondo NI was a great event on closed roads, food stops not great and not sure if it’s on this year?

MB 200 is great. Blackstairs Cycling Challenge and the Mt. Leinster Challenge also very good. The Mt. Leinster had a very tough “ultimate” version with 3 different ascents of the Mountain this year.

rb

did the 1st two years of the Gran fondo NI first year not bad 2nd year worked on neg feedback and fixed it. doesn't really bother you if your self sufficient on long spins anyway.
    heard the 3rd year was an after thought!food stops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

I’ve participated in the Cliffs of Moher challenge the past two years - very enjoyable, great roads, excellent food and organization. Probably more low key than some of the larger events in Clare.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/cliffs-of-moher-cycle-challenge-2018-tickets-39266667660?aff=es2

• Advertisement
Advertisement