Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mudguards don't fit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

If seat stay clearance is the issue, you could instead secure the mudguard to the underside of the rack and trim the bit at the seat stay.

What I would suggest is that you get a rear carrier light mount rather than having your light twisting around as it does in your image. The likes of the Cateye or Smart mounts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cormie wrote: »
    ...Which all need to work together, but it seems it's just too tight a fit under the arch of the seat stay..
    Too tight as in width or is the mudguard coming into contact with the tyre?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the replies! Good suggestion on the rear light holder, somebody before suggested the same thing on here, maybe it was yourself too :D I don't usuallly have the light twisted so much around, but I might get around to getting one of the holders alright, just as long as it fits the light itself :)

The mudguards are coming into contact with the tyre once they go under the seat stay arch, which is just behind the brakes in the photo. There's very little room beneath the arch and the angle it has to work around means it's rubbing against the tyre and then the biit that goes aroudn the seat post is an issue too.

Attaching it to the underside of the rack might be an issue, but then this could get in the way if I'm securing any loads and it may not work well to stop water going on my feet from the rear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

From the photo it looks like the rear of the mudguard angles away from the rear of the tyre. If you shortened the stays on the mudguard (if possible) it should pull the rear of mudguard closer to the wheel and might have the effect of pushing the front of it away from the front section of the tyre.

I'm assuming here that there is enough clearance under the brake bridge so that the mudguard can run under the bridge without contacting the tyre, and that the contact is happening further forward of that.

An extreme option could be to take a heat gun to the mudguard to reshape it as needed. Having said that though, I've never tried a heat gun on a mudguard so its plastic might not tolerate it well.

Advertisement