Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clicking on rear wheel - how to correct

Options
  • 06-01-2018 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I recently bought the Cube Attain, the back wheel when free wheeling has a loud clicking noise. It’s particularly loud, becomes a whine. It occurs after a very small rotation of, say, 5 degrees. I assume it’s a ball bearing or something. Video attached of the issue. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Keep pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I have a cube with magic akaium wheels that have a relatively loud free wheel. It was like that since bought new and is not a problem.. My Trek with Bontrager wheels doesn’t make a sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.. Video attached?..
    No video showing for me. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Oops, video on YouTube here https://youtu.be/1Dl6oiOtnu8

If it’s by design so be it, I just kee pedalling :D but not having had a road bike before I’m not sure if it’s a ‘normal’ click or indicative of something else that needs correction

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just sounds like a loud freewheel to me.

There are those who worship at the altar of loud freewheels, believing it to be indicative of quality and craftsmanship.

If the sound changes you might have an issue. A quiet freewheel that becomes loud needs lubrication. A loud freewheel that becomes quiet needs cleaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

seamus wrote: »
    Just sounds like a loud freewheel to me.

There are those who worship at the altar of loud freewheels, believing it to be indicative of quality and craftsmanship.

If the sound changes you might have an issue. A quiet freewheel that becomes loud needs lubrication. A loud freewheel that becomes quiet needs cleaning.

Fair enough. Thanks Seamus and all

Advertisement