Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Wick chapter 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Praying
    Halle Berry and her dogs
    don't return for the sequel, weakest element of the whole movie.

I thought that was great - The dogs - if not cgi'd (i dont think they were at all) - were terrific - Should win best supporting role! :D But I really did think that was cool, and it kept the constant battles a bit fresher. You 'can' have too much of the same thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The extended section in
    Morocco with Halle Berry
    was the only part of the film I felt the artifice fell over a little; I noticed a couple times what appeared to be the enemy stunt fighters holding back, as if it they hadn't got their cue or turn to attack our heroes. Wasn't enough to ruin the immersion, but it betrayed the choreography a smidge - presumably because of that added complexity brought the presence of the
    attack dogs
    that required more careful planning. Maybe it was just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Really enjoyed this. Loved the second one more than the first, and I don't quite think this topped it. The initial few fights came across like they were not quite hitting each other properly, like they were practicing. It felt slightly slow and off but ultimately are cool and fun fights all the same.

It still suffers the problem of some fights going on for too long, when a lot of it gets very samey. The stuff with the high table investigation was good, should have kept that up a bit more in place of extra minutes of extended fighting.

Keanu is just great in these movies. He's finally made a good trilogy, or however many they decide to add to the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bit disappointed to be honest. There's only so much gratuitous violence and 'cool' kill scenes that I can endure without getting jaded.

Whatever limited dialogue there was was bland..

Really enjoyed the first two movies. I felt there was at least some subtelty and some plot but not in this one.

Fairly sure they reached Rambo levels of henchmen culls..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

I saw it a few weeks ago.

Though the very first fight scene with the knife throwing was brilliant. After that I felt it was all very "seen it before" stuff.

Still a great watch though. Also thought it went a bit too much into the politics about the high table and all that. Their were a few periods between fighting which I felt dragged out a bit.

Having said that I'm looking forward to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hi,
    quick question, thinking of heading to see this tonight, but we have not seen part 1 or part 2 - should I avoid till I see them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi,
    quick question, thinking of heading to see this tonight, but we have not seen part 1 or part 2 - should I avoid till I see them ?

I'd say it would be best

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Agreed. It won't make much sense, not that it makes much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hi,

Can you binge the two tonight instead?

Great movie. I thought the big battle involving Reeves and Berry was one of the best action sequences concieved in an action movie in over a decade or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Great movie. I thought the big battle involving Reeves and Berry was one of the best action sequences concieved in an action movie in over a decade or more.

Those dogs were badass.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think that part was overlong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

disaapointed with this same as 2 really, seems the 1st one had that woah factor. The next 2 seem to be aiming for something that they never achieve.

Shame was a good idea for a multiverse but doesnt really land after 2 sequels.

am I the only one who enjoyed Polar (2019) with Mads Mikkelsen much more than John Wick 3?

had more of a story and I enjoyed the black humour.

(and the cans on the jumpsuit girl).

the actual 1 bit of humour in John Wick 3 was when he said "I get that" when the chick with the dogs went ape when one of them was shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Victor wrote: »

I thought that was perfect with the final action scene overlong. They really did go all out with that how absurd can we make things for Wick lark in the final act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Victor wrote: »

I thought that was perfect with the final action scene overlong. They really did go all out with that how absurd can we make things for Wick lark in the final act.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just watched it, absolutely brilliant. It's pure art seen this level of martial arts, a real throw back to the glory days.
    We have seen alot of it before in the other movies but they did try to be as creative as possible.
    It's an incredible trilogy that is still steam rolling through which is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I can understand the criticism of some parts drawn out but he was up against the top assassin's of the high table, he couldn't just kill them with a chop and a blade.

We can change the line now- "John wick he once killed a man with a book , with a ****ing book!"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Continental tv series will be a prequel series and it's not due till 2021 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

terrible & good so undecided.
    I enjoy the john wick movies for the over the top madness of them but this movie just felt like a video game – going through the levels where the enemies got tougher as the levels progressed finalising with the big bad end of level boss.
    I think a bit too much focus on the action fight scenes rather than story line (yes I know it’s an action movie) but it was like 2 hours of fight sequences and nothing much more.

Bring on John Wick 4/5/6 as I will be all over them but think number 3 is the worst of the bunch so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

also - how many dogs did Halle Berry have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Lionsgate has set Len Wiseman to direct Ballerina, an action spinoff of the lucrative John Wick franchise.

Ballerina focuses on a young female assassin who seeks revenge against the people who killed her family. The picture is on a fast track, with a script by Shay Hatten, whose credits include the Zack Snyder-directed Army of the Dead for Netflix and John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum.

The picture is being produced by Basil Iwanyk, Erica Lee and Chad Stahelski, with John Wick star Keanu Reeves an executive producer. The female character was glimpsed in the last John Wick film and it isn’t clear at this point whether Reeves will be in the film, though if he does it will be a cameo. Unity Phelan is in the credits of Parabellum under the character Ballerina, but I am not sure who will be the star of the spinoff.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/john-wick-spinoff-ballerina-len-wiseman-directs-female-centric-keanu-reeves-1202754898/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Len Wiseman? Jesus, now there's a walking embodiment of mediocrity. Given the standards this franchise has set with its action and choreography, going with such a Yes Man is disappointing. A good man to shot your TV pilot - I have a soft spot for Sleepy Hollow - not one to manage a favoured series famed for balletic action.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will he get his Mrs to star in it?

If she wears tight leather I'll go see it.

God he is a horrible film maker.

They divorced in 2016, presumably as Beckinsale was sick of being "that one from Underworld". Though I notice that her last one in the series, itself out in 2016, wasn't directed by Wiseman.

Lordy. The only way this news could be more underwhelming was if John Moore, Olivier Megaton or Brett Ratner got the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Finally got round to watching this.

Totally daft :D

Can't wait to see the next one!

It's like they go one level exponentially dafter every film.

The nods to the Matrix "Guns! Lots of Guns!" and the Terminator Finger wag were hilarious!
    493803.gif

493804.gif

What's coming in the next one? Just wander around New York tearing the whole place up with M134 Miniguns as a homage to Predator? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Slydice wrote: »
    Finally got round to watching this.

Totally daft :D

Can't wait to see the next one!
    Same.
    I preferred this to the first two, as tongue was firmly pressed against cheek, where it belongs (though the first two were needed as stepping stones); so much so it felt like a played-straight action comedy.

The choreography for the fight scenes was very good, though Keanu looked so wrecked sometimes that it looked a little laboured and telegraphed.

Looking forward to the next ones, though I'd say the ones inevitably set in space will have lost their charm. Ya never know though, it is an inventive franchise with a clear and practical philosophical message; don't harm someone else's dog. Simple, but effective. Kinda like Keanu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Only got round to seeing this now. Probably the weakest of the 3, they did try to add more plot but it was completely non sensical. Some fight scenes were good, others not so good. I guess it gets hard to keep it exciting as it'll never live up to the freshness of the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

John Wick Chapter 3 is on Netflix now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Finally watching this at the mo. Annoyed this Taylor wan from Billions is in this, she's pretty weak and always plans the same wooden character
    funny seeing jerome in it

Advertisement