Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Cycled from Dungarvan to Waterford and returned this morning, lovely morning for it but suffered a bit coming back due to a head wind. Care is needed in few spots as a lot of leafs have fallen and would be quite slippy in wet conditions. Met a few other cyclists on the return journey on what otherwise was a reasonably quite trip.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the greenway is out of commission for a few days:

https://www.facebook.com/deise.greenway/posts/2030464087183230

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

looks like the greenway is out of commission for a few days:

https://www.facebook.com/deise.greenway/posts/2030464087183230

That Ophelia wan was a right aul wagon

We have plans to head down this weekend. Looking at taking the train down, anybody know if there are lockers in Waterford Station to store our bottles of beer for the journey back a change of clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

potentially great news here regarding the extension of the greenway as far as Rosslare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

That would be brilliant!

Any idea what the cycling infrastructure is like on the Welsh side?
    I have family in Bristol, it would be a great trip to cycle over with the kids.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

We have plans to head down this weekend. Looking at taking the train down, anybody know if there are lockers in Waterford Station to store our bottles of beer for the journey back a change of clothes

No lockers or storage I’m afraid but the station controller might leave you leave some gear in his office... if you’re nice

No lockers or storage I’m afraid but the station controller might leave you leave some gear in his office... if you’re nice

Don't want to take that risk and be stuck with a gym bag on my back for the duration... I'll figure something out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Are you hiring bikes or anything ?

There used to be a hire place on Grattan Quay which is just over the bridge from the Train Station, which might be your best bet.

https://www.waterfordgreenwaybikehire.com/about-us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That would be brilliant!

Any idea what the cycling infrastructure is like on the Welsh side?
    I have family in Bristol, it would be a great trip to cycle over with the kids.

Route is part of Eurovelo 1 think it's mostly on quiet roads, see here for details

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/celtic-trail-west

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Are you hiring bikes or anything ?

There used to be a hire place on Grattan Quay which is just over the bridge from the Train Station, which might be your best bet.

https://www.waterfordgreenwaybikehire.com/about-us.html

No we're bringing our own, hoping the train is relatively empty. And I will remember my cycling shoes this time

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Route is part of Eurovelo 1 think it's mostly on quiet roads, see here for details

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/celtic-trail-west

Thanks for that, I had quite forgotten about Sustrans - and I used to be a member!

There's lots of options there, a few traffic free sections, and always the possibility of jumping on the train at various points.

Could do with a national body like Sustrans here to drive forward development of safe cycling and walking routes.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

@LollipopJimmy

You could phone up the local Travel lodge and see if they have a room free to book for the day. Even if your not staying overnight it may be worth it for the security and shower afterwards. Just tell them your plan, if they have room spare they may be amenable to it. Split the cost with your friend(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

Cycling this tomorrow. Any good suggestions where to watch the rugby match along it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Coach House Coffee in Killmacthomas, about half way between Dungarvan and Waterford. just at the side of the greenway. Hard to miss it

google map of coach house

Or any pub at either end of the trail, or Killmacthomas itself has some good pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

hi hoping to do this soon - what bike hire company is best to go with? I would like to cycle Dungarvan to Waterford and get a bus back. And do any of them have padding for the seat? Not a seasoned cyclist and don't have a lot of padding naturally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

sporina wrote: »
    hi hoping to do this soon - what bike hire company is best to go with? I would like to cycle Dungarvan to Waterford and get a bus back. And do any of them have padding for the seat? Not a seasoned cyclist and don't have a lot of padding naturally.

Read this post for some help.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106926208&postcount=1086

thanks - the main website seems to be down which is a bit weird..

so the greenwayman depot is in waterford? i will be coming from cork so will depart from dungarvan - cycle to waterford and get bus back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

sporina wrote: »
    i will be coming from cork so will depart from dungarvan - cycle to waterford and get bus back

Shouldn't be a need for this. Some of the companies (all...?) will arrange for a shuttle bus to bring you back to Dungarvan once you hire a bike from them

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Shouldn't be a need for this. Some of the companies (all...?) will arrange for a shuttle bus to bring you back to Dungarvan once you hire a bike from them

yes thats what i mean by bus - the shuttle bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

I did the great western greenway about 2 weeks ago, have done this one previously. If you have the choice the westport - Achill one is significantly better.

That is an interesting cycle with good views, on this one the view for most of the journey is of two tall hedges running along either side of the greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Would it be possible to do this cycle on a road bike with 25's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Would it be possible to do this cycle on a road bike with 25's?

Yes, without difficulty. (I did)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Fian wrote: »
    I did the great western greenway about 2 weeks ago, have done this one previously. If you have the choice the westport - Achill one is significantly better.

That is an interesting cycle with good views, on this one the view for most of the journey is of two tall hedges running along either side of the greenway.

Yes, I prefer the Mayo one, the scenery is truly excellent nearing Achill, dull past Newport, but this Greenway is overall better, or it seemed to me, in respect of places for coffee / meal, rest stop, near the Greenway, along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Yes, without difficulty. (I did)

Brilliant, cheers!

yeah i have done the mayo one - was lovely - but hey, why not do this one too.. i am sure it is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Anyone know what the bike capacity is on the Dublin > Waterford train service. Somebody told me it was limited to two bikes per train but I don't believe him! Thinking of doing the Greenway and would like to go by rail..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

homer911 wrote:
    Anyone know what the bike capacity is on the Dublin > Waterford train service. Somebody told me it was limited to two bikes per train but I don't believe him! Thinking of doing the Greenway and would like to go by rail..

Ring Irish rail to be sure, you may need to book your place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

homer911 wrote: »

There's usually only 2 carriages that carry 2 bikes each. You book a bike on when you book your seat. Loads of people ignore this and just put their bikes in the rack anyway so don't be surprised if there's no room for your bike which you may have to leave between carriages.

The fact you're getting on at a start point works in your favour as you can get to the front and grab a rack.

• Advertisement

Space for two last time I went down. We booked and arrived in plenty of time to be sure. Somebody else got on after and left their bike in the doorwaybwhich was put on the platform by IR staff

Advertisement