Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

Just to note that the surface between Carraiganore and Kilmeaden section has been improved over the past month or so. A surface dressing of much finer chippings was put down, so while it remains a bit bumpy, you no longer feel like you're going to be minus a kneecap if you come off.

This section tends to be busy at weekends, and what with there being some quite narrow sections it can be a bit stop/go. Around Kilmac, and as others have noted Durrow/Clonea also seem to be the busiest sections. Kilmeaden to Kilmac and Mahon Bridge out to near Durrow, being both that bit further away from parking are usually a bit calmer - the latter has nice views of the Comeraghs and also benefits from not being bisected by roads every couple of km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Did it yesterday after hearing all the reviews. Some day for it and some amount of sh*te did I eat! Two chicken legends, several banana's, a smoothie, choc ice, and other assorted crap to keep me going. Spent an hour or two plodding around Dungarvan and over to Clonea beach - the one you see approaching Dungarvan.

Stunning day, lots of people on the Greenway given the holiday's and plenty of pit stops for those that need it. The Greenway itself was apparently in a better state than a few week s ago, according to my guide for the first 15km, Robert from Poland. I met him near the start in Waterford on his MTB. He mentioned the hoards at the weekend and that it was almost pointless for anyone on a roadbike with a bit fitness to bother doing it. 'Wait for a time you can do it midweek' was the best policy he said.

The surface is pretty good for the most part. Others have mentioned the knobbly part near the miniature railway and the loose surface for some KM's outside Waterford. I would add that my hands were a bit numb afterwards. I put it down to the changes in surface were they met with the concrete that was prevalent around underpasses, bridges and farm crossings.

Overall, A very good experience. Not a apart of the world I'm too familiar with other than passing through and a sports competition in Waterford when I was younger

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I've cycled it a few times. I did all of it (and back) one night after work and often do 20 - 40 miles along it in the evening. Most recent was 2 days ago.

It's a great resource. The surface isn't as good as the Mullingar - Athlone one and I've had a couple of punctures on 25 mm Conti 4 Seasons, but it's more scenic. They seem to be working on it continually and I've seen improvements since I first did it back in April or May.

I've not really met anybody hammering along it yet and always take care to slow down when I pass people to try and re-balance the 'fecking idiot cyclists' attitude. A couple of my workmates tell me that they've had near misses with fully lycra'd guys who seem unable to slow down or unclip. I've also never had a problem with any of the local farmers and once spent 5 or 10 minutes chatting to one as I stopped by a gate. He was very positive about the whole greenway.

BTW The tunnel and the numerous underpasses do have signs telling cyclists to dismount, but I generally just slow right down to walking pace just in case I meet Cav coming the opposite way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I did a small section on Saturday afternoon and I did the full thing on Sunday from Dungarvan to WIT which was 41.5km on my Garmin. If going into the quay side in waterford it would probabaly 45km. I thought the surface was pretty good all along - a lot better than many roads.

There were LOADS of people out on Saturday & Sunday with the good weather, so not really designed for high speeds, especially with the gates at the road crossings. I was able to plod along pretty safely at about 22kmph. There were all sorts of cyclists out - a few lycra clad but mostly young families and couples. Pretty much all were behaving well with the odd one or two blasting by. It was a nice atmosphere tbh. Lots of places to stop along the way and get refreshments or have a picnic on a rock.

Here is a pic of one of the gates on the greenway with Clonea beach in the middle ground and dungarvan/helvic in the background.

Regards
    Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

We did the section from Kilmac to Dungarvan on thursday morning starting early at 10 am.
    Kilmac car park was just starting to fill but no issues with parking up, met with my eldest son dropped off by grandfarther ,who was then to meet us in Dungarvan so i could retrieve car.

That was our plan as the wife hadn't rode her bike in good 2 years, so thought a single trip not too long best.

So we set off a family of 5 in total (me, wife n 3 lads youngest being 17).
    A thoroughly enjoyable ride ,quiet for the most part until we got near Dungarvan end then it got bit more crowded.
    When i returned to Kilmac to retrieve our car the car park was packed and the cafe busy with hungry folk.
    We were impressed with the surface and variety of stopping points and accesses along the way too.

A credit to the local councils and businesses along it's path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 buffalo909

Looking forward to doing this tomorrow, we're planning on going wat-dun-wat, staying overnight in Dungarvan, where is a safe place to park overnight in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Did Waterford to Kilmac last week - very impressed with it, really looking forward to using it more. There seems to have been a huge buy-in from locals and it's more or less resurrected Kilmacthomas as an active village.

Given the proposal last year by Irish Rail to formally abandon the Waterford to New Ross (been abandoned for a long time) and Waterford to Rosslare (gone since 2010) railway lines, there's a massive opportunity here to create a world class cycle welcome to Ireland. Imagine being able to hop off the boat in Rosslare with your bike and have a dedicated off road nicely surfaced 60k route to Waterford, passing through 3 or 4 little villages with shops, cafes, pubs, cycle friendly B&Bs etc.. When you arrive in Waterford you'd then have a 20k route to New Ross and 46k to Dungarvan where you could connect up with very quiet scenic roads around the coast to Youghal and a potential greenway from there to Midleton! With the success of the greenway in Waterford there has never been a better time to get the ball rolling on more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i fully agree - i spoke to a lady in Rosslare when I stayed there recently and she mentioned this but also described the usual local objections to such a plan. it really would be something to be proud of if they could do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

the usual local objections to such a plan.
    I just don't understand this from the point of view of that specific line. I can see how people might be unsure about a derelict line opening up again (Dungarvan/Wesport/Kingscourt etc..) but it's not that long since the trains were running on that track and up to a year or two ago people were still talking about re-opening it (can't see that happening). While community buy in is desirable, the presence of a usable line already means that it would be very hard to impede via nimbyism. In my head I can see some sort of train laying tarmac and pulling up rails behind itself as it moves along :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

It would be fantastic to have the old Rosslare Waterford turned into a greenway. While that is a long term project there is a recently launched, signposted Euro Velo Route from Rosslare along the coastline to Ballyhack where the ferry will bring you to Passage East. These roads are very quiet, some well surfaced, some quite poor but very usable and safe and run thru numerous small villages with coffee stops. While not comparable to the greenway and it's traffic free route it's a great way to join the dots from Rosslare to Dungarvan.

Details here: https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/roads-travel-and-parking/cycling-and-public-transport/eurovelo-cycle-route

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Did it today Dungarvan-Kilmacthomas-Dungarvan and was pleasantly surprised it really nice. It was a nice day for it and theres plently of places to stop off along the route. I cycled to The Coach House and which does nice food and coffee. Really good for Ireland. It has a nice continental vibe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MichealD wrote: »
    It would be fantastic to have the old Rosslare Waterford turned into a greenway. While that is a long term project there is a recently launched, signposted Euro Velo Route from Rosslare along the coastline to Ballyhack where the ferry will bring you to Passage East. These roads are very quiet, some well surfaced, some quite poor but very usable and safe and run thru numerous small villages with coffee stops. While not comparable to the greenway and it's traffic free route it's a great way to join the dots from Rosslare to Dungarvan.

Details here: https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/roads-travel-and-parking/cycling-and-public-transport/eurovelo-cycle-route

The real benefit of an off road route is for locals with Children/nervous Cyclists, and for others within reach to use it from time to time.

A touring cyclist should have no issue using a quiet signed route, like I assume the Norman Way(Eurovelo 1 and a bit up to New Ross) is

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

me and the missus are in waterford for a few days and where hoping to do a bit tomorrow. thing is herself wouldnt be able for the full 92km from waterford and back so we are trying to figure out the nicest (views, small villages) section to do, maybe 50km or so. we can drive to start where ever, surface should be ok for road bikes right?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

think the Dungarvan to Kilmac section is the best part of it s it includes the tunnel in Durrow, park up in either location and its about 23km from Dungarvan to Kilmac, plenty of options for a bit of food in either location

road bikes fine on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

buffalo909 wrote: »
    Looking forward to doing this tomorrow, we're planning on going wat-dun-wat, staying overnight in Dungarvan, where is a safe place to park overnight in Waterford?

In 2 weeks I'll be going along the coast for 85km from Waterford to Dungarvan, staying iverning in Dungarvan and back via the greenway.

I'll be leaving the car over night so I'm wondering where you parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

me and the missus are in waterford for a few days and where hoping to do a bit tomorrow. thing is herself wouldnt be able for the full 92km from waterford and back so we are trying to figure out the nicest (views, small villages) section to do, maybe 50km or so. we can drive to start where ever, surface should be ok for road bikes right?

The bike hire companies offer transfers so you could cycle the whole route & get a bus/transfer back to your starting point. Might be worth considering.

Agreed Dungarvan to Kilmac is nicer. Its about 21 KM each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

In 2 weeks I'll be going along the coast for 85km from Waterford to Dungarvan, staying iverning in Dungarvan and back via the greenway.

I'll be leaving the car over night so I'm wondering where you parked?

While the WIT access point here (https://goo.gl/maps/TdjSLEHk56M2) has plenty of free parking, you are always going to be taking a chance on leaving a car overnight in a public car park

This is at one logical 'end of the greenway, though it does continue a further 5km into Waterford city, and WIT is along the city bypass from where there are a number of points to head out onto the coast road for the outbound journey - head either out the old Cork road for Kilmeaden then Kill-Bonmahon or via Tramore for the full copper coast experience (ie hills)

Either way, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    While the WIT access point here (https://goo.gl/maps/TdjSLEHk56M2) has plenty of free parking, you are always going to be taking a chance on leaving a car overnight in a public car park

This is at one logical 'end of the greenway, though it does continue a further 5km into Waterford city, and WIT is along the city bypass from where there are a number of points to head out onto the coast road for the outbound journey - head either out the old Cork road for Kilmeaden then Kill-Bonmahon or via Tramore for the full copper coast experience (ie hills)

Either way, enjoy

Thank you for the info. Is there anywhere closer to Waterford Cycle centre as we will be hiring s bike from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thank you for the info. Is there anywhere closer to Waterford Cycle centre as we will be hiring s bike from there?

From Waterford cycle centre... 2 options..

1. Take the right on the roundabout leaving the shop... go straight through the next roundabout down the hill to another roundabout... wit carraiganore is on the right here.. and you Get on 5k into the greenway here.

2. Again take a right on the roundabout leaving the shop.. Turn right on the next roundabout instead of going straight... you are on the carrickpherish road... it is about a mile long and has a small hill in the middle.. go to the end. Turn right... follow that road for about 500m... it bends around to the left to a T junction.... take the left and then 10 yards later the right.. down hill and the very start of the greenway is at the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Was out cycling from Kilmac to Dungarvan this afternoon. The amount of people who failed to dismount at the Durrow tunnel was unreal. Especially with all the families with small kids walking through it. Most of them had no lights, or didn't turn them on, either. One lady actually thanked me for dismounting! Only negative on an otherwise very enjoyable ride.

Gwildor wrote: »
    Was out cycling from Kilmac to Dungarvan this afternoon. The amount of people who failed to dismount at the Durrow tunnel was unreal. Especially with all the families with small kids walking through it. Most of them had no lights, or didn't turn them on, either. One lady actually thanked me for dismounting! Only negative on an otherwise very enjoyable ride.

While you are asked to dismount going thru the tunnel, with care and slow speed,
    it's generally not a problem to cycle through it - conditions/busyness need to be taken into account.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    While you are asked to dismount going thru the tunnel, with care and slow speed,
    it's generally not a problem to cycle through it - conditions/busyness need to be taken into account.

'Twas fairly busy today, and they weren't going slow. And as I said, no lights or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

I was there on Tuesday and an ould lad told me that they were going to remove the sign saying cyclists must dismount and replace it with something along the lines of proceed with caution.

Had to stop and have a word with myself today. Was very close to giving out to a few walkers coming against me who refused to keep to the left. Definitely don't want to become "that guy"...

:)

Nah, dont be that guy........peace and love

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

'Twas fairly busy today, and they weren't going slow. And as I said, no lights or anything.

Why would they need to dismount?

Absolutely no need for lights in that tunnel either. A bell on the other hand is a must.

Agreed... keep banging the bell in the tunnel... way more effective. Loud too with the echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clongain

Did the greenway yesterday from Waterford to Dungarvan and back on 25mm tyres, no issues. Really good having such a long stretch with no traffic,lights etc. Bell is essential to notify walkers you are coming up behind them. If im honest i thought some of the scenery was a bit meh, nicest section probably between Dungarvan and Durrow tunnel. Loads of places to stop for coffee/food along the way.

• Advertisement

clongain wrote: »
    Did the greenway yesterday from Waterford to Dungarvan and back on 25mm tyres, no issues. Really good having such a long stretch with no traffic,lights etc. Bell is essential to notify walkers you are coming up behind them. If im honest i thought some of the scenery was a bit meh, nicest section probably between Dungarvan and Durrow tunnel. Loads of places to stop for coffee/food along the way.

Not all the scenery is great, I agree. But you have to bear in mind that this was a railway line, so was built on mostly a 'shortest distance between two points' type of route and scenery wasnt the No1 priority. That said, the Comeragh's are generally visable to the north unless its raining and they sure are purdy.....:cool:

Advertisement