Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

night training

Options
  • 20-11-2014 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I am hoping to start training by night soon and my head is melted from looking at lights online,any advise ? I looking for something with a run-time over 2 hours that wont break the bank ...and will light up the fantastic Irish roads !!
    thanks.
    #keepitbetweentheditches!

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The definitive thread (linked from the FAQs;)) is here

The current thread on the topic is here

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

many thanks Beasty :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you can organise early morning, you get a lot of well lit streets with very little traffic. I've done a few 5:30am spins this autumn which have been great craic, mixing a few unlit roads with well lit ones, out and back before the rest of the family stirs. Lights wise, I've a B&M IXON IQ which has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

living out in the sticks lad, lit roads are few and far between :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I have the hope vision R4.... It's BRIGHT! :)
    It's also expensive, but a quality product.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/hope-vision-r4-led-lightweight-front-light/rp-prod88099

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I use a Lezyne Superdrive. It has 4 settings. In flashing mode it will last about 4 hours. In the brighest setting it lasts for about an hour and a half and gives excellent visability on unlit roads. I also have an additional battery which I bring on long night spins so I can get up to 8 hours if I need to.

I also have a Lezyne Micro Light which I take for emergency back-up.

I can't fault Lezyne quality. I have the lights for a couple of years now and have had no issues. They are USB chargeable which is handy for work if required.

EDIT: Just to add I had it on flashing mode for a 150km club ride today in the fog and it was still going strong when I got home - it sometimes lasts longer than 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I use a Lezyne Superdrive. It has 4 settings. In flashing mode it will last about 4 hours. In the brighest setting it lasts for about an hour and a half and gives excellent visability on unlit roads. I also have an additional battery which I bring on long night spins so I can get up to 8 hours if I need to.

I also have a Lezyne Micro Light which I take for emergency back-up.

I can't fault Lezyne quality. I have the lights for a couple of years now and have had no issues. They are USB chargeable which is handy for work if required.

EDIT: Just to add I had it on flashing mode for a 150km club ride today in the fog and it was still going strong when I got home - it sometimes lasts longer than 4 hours.

Hi. Not hijacking the thread but I have lezyne macro light set on order in halfords. USB thing concerns me a bit as usually stuff is slow to charge when hooked up to computer.

I assume you can mains charge with an adaptor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

christy02 wrote: »
    Hi. Not hijacking the thread but I have lezyne macro light set on order in halfords. USB thing concerns me a bit as usually stuff is slow to charge when hooked up to computer.

Yes you can. Just to let you know that the USB charge is quite fast ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I got this Uniquefire Cree LED from eBay a couple of weeks ago.
    Great light for the price. Just got it for the odd spin around west Cork backroads, I don't think they're suited to town/city as I've a feeling they'll dazzle cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have two knog blinders and a Cateye volt 700. Perfect setup for me as quite a few of the routed I train on are unlit. All are USB rechargeable and don't take long to charge fully. Build quality is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I use a Lezyne Superdrive.

+1 I have the Lezyne Superdrive XL which this year now seems to be called the Y8?
    Anyway, on full whack it does a great job of fully illuminating all around you on the black country roads. It does only last a couple of hours, but I carry an extra couple of batteries (they're the size of standard AA batteries) which gives me peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

furyen wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I am hoping to start training by night soon and my head is melted from looking at lights online,any advise ? I looking for something with a run-time over 2 hours that wont break the bank ...and will light up the fantastic Irish roads !!
    thanks.
    #keepitbetweentheditches!
    furyen wrote: »
    living out in the sticks lad, lit roads are few and far between :)

Around €150 or so will get you a decent hub dynamo and front light setup. You're good to go anytime then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I charge my Lezyne Macros from a 2 Amp wall charger - its can be up to 4x faster than the computer's USB output (0,5A). When the light recognises high-power input (1 or 2A), the button is lit blue, not the usual green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Alek wrote: »
    I charge my Lezyne Macros from a 2 Amp wall charger - its can be up to 4x faster than the computer's USB output (0,5A). When the light recognises high-power input (1 or 2A), the button is lit blue, not the usual green.

Well that explains the strange light then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I went from using cree lights to hub dynamo lights and they are (imho) the way to go. I regularly train on unlit country roads, and the light is great for that. Bit more of an investment, but a much better light beam and no charging issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Alek wrote: »

How do you find the lezyne macro lights?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I like them to the point I don't consider changing for anything better/stronger. Good enough for all road cycling, tried them also on a forest trail in total darkness and were adequate. Could use more light off-road.

Your experience may be different though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

lennymc wrote: »
    I went from using cree lights to hub dynamo lights and they are (imho) the way to go. I regularly train on unlit country roads, and the light is great for that. Bit more of an investment, but a much better light beam and no charging issues.

http://fahrradbeleuchtung-info.de/overview-led-bicycle-headlamps-dynamo

Lots of choice, lots of reading!

Advertisement