Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non contact dynamo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strictly speaking I think non-contact dynamos have been around for a while at this stage, this is the first one I've seen which doesn't require a paired magnet to generate the energy. Very clever, definitely something I'd buy for the commuter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Loving the choons and the strobes :)

But yeah, it looks good. I like the way he goes out of his way to point out that no energy is "free".

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

langdang wrote: »
    I like the way he goes out of his way to point out that no energy is "free".

Yes. In this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Want!
    check out the pledge amounts, for $220 you'll get the front and back set, they'll probably sell for more than that eventually, very tempted!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

marketty wrote: »
    Want!
    check out the pledge amounts, for $220 you'll get the front and back set, they'll probably sell for more than that eventually, very tempted!!
    Economics works the other way :)

The size of the device indicates that it's probably actually quite simple inside. If he gets them to mass market, they'll likely sell for a fraction of that, closer to $20 for a pair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

seamus wrote: »
    Strictly speaking I think non-contact dynamos have been around for a while at this stage, this is the first one I've seen which doesn't require a paired magnet to generate the energy. Very clever, definitely something I'd buy for the commuter.

With no capacitor it can only work while moving and would make you invisible when stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

seamus wrote: »
    Economics works the other way :)

The size of the device indicates that it's probably actually quite simple inside. If he gets them to mass market, they'll likely sell for a fraction of that, closer to $20 for a pair.

I'd be very surprised if these sold for $20 a pair when they're launched.
    I am wary though of why the established manufacturers haven't done this before, it may not be all its cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

marketty wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if these sold for $20 a pair when they're launched.
    I am wary though of why the established manufacturers haven't done this before, it may not be all its cracked up to be.
    I'd have to agree with this, i reckon a more realistic price point would be about $100-$80. Putting it in direct competition with other Battery-free options out there at the moment. These for example, which really aren't very good at all, the clamp is of poor quality so the light gets pulled toward the magnet each time it passes. If not perfectly installed the magnet will rub quite severely on the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭positron

Sorry for resurrecting an ancient thread, but there is only one reference to 'magnic' on all of boards and that's this thread.

This 'magnic' crowd seems to be back on Kickstarter, better design and prices look alright now (€19 for a front pair, etc), and I like the turning blinker idea as well. Shame I have a disc brakes.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dynamodirk/magnic-microlights-non-contact-driven-brake-shoe-b?ref=popular&ref=discovery

Energy consumption to rider is 0.3 watt at 20 kmph according to that page - whatever that really means.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Looks great, it states it is an all or nothing project. Does this mean if they don't reach the million hey refund the money invested?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

positron wrote: »

Energy consumption to rider is 0.3 watt at 20 kmph according to that page - whatever that really means.

It wouldnt be crazy to see a commuter pushing 80-100W at 20kph, so 0.3W of a "drag" is basically non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I predict that these will be too dim to be useful, or else they're lying about the power required.

0.3W is only half the output to the rear from a standard dynamo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

The reelight NEO has a nice bright output and only uses the rim to provide the induction but unfortunately the mounts are rubbish so they've discontinued the line while they tweak it. No reason why this can't be a bright output too, especially with advances in led technology.

Lumen wrote:
    I predict that these will be too dim to be useful, or else they're lying about the power required.

They are claiming 0.3w per light, so 1.2w if you fit front and rear pairs. I don't know, probably not bright enough for country lanes, and I can imagine it will dim when you do slow down, which is bad... But I can see them still being useful as fit and forget type things, for increased visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The reelight NEO has a nice bright output and only uses the rim to provide the induction but unfortunately the mounts are rubbish so they've discontinued the line while they tweak it. No reason why this can't be a bright output too, especially with advances in led technology.
    It’s only .3w a hub dynamo also uses LED But uses 3W, 3.4w to front and .6w to the rear.

Your better off getting the RSA coin battery light

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lumen wrote:

They are claiming 0.3w per light, so 1.2w if you fit front and rear pairs. I don't know, probably not bright enough for country lanes, and I can imagine it will dim when you do slow down, which is bad... But I can see them still being useful as fit and forget type things, for increased visibility.
    It doesn’t work like that.

Instead of having 1 low level light, you’ll have 4 low level lights. The light output won’t increase.

2 9 inch piazzas are a lot smaller than 1 18 inch piazza

They are claiming 0.3W drag on the rider. I was generously assuming 100% efficiency. Without lux values @10m it's difficult to make comparisons with other dynamo lights on the market.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it just me or does it look like the brake pads will barely make contact if you break as the light overhangs them or am I just tired and stupid today?

ted1 wrote:
    Instead of having 1 low level light, you’ll have 4 low level lights. The light output won’t increase.

That's true, I was just clarifying that 0.3w of work isn't powering all four lights. It's per light. More lights = more load on the rider. Yeah Lumen is right, hard to make any meaningful comparisons without proper reading, which they haven't provided, and that doesn't look good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

I got the reelight, the other main problem was that there was no power store in them so the dimmed immediately when you slower down and went off when you stopped (at junctions etc) when you'd need a light most. Handy as an additional light but no good on its own.

• Advertisement

+1. They should have added a capacitor or something like that to hold enough charge for a minute or two after stopping, especially for the rear lights.

+1. They should have added a capacitor or something like that to hold enough charge for a minute or two after stopping, especially for the rear lights.

This kickstarter thing includes standlight function.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thud wrote: »
    I got the reelight, the other main problem was that there was no power store in them so the dimmed immediately when you slower down and went off when you stopped (at junctions etc) when you'd need a light most. Handy as an additional light but no good on its own.

True, but that was only for the front light. The back one stayed on (albeit in flashing mode) for about 5 minutes.
    Got the CIO mounted the other day. Better mounting and flashes at junctions. However you need to attach a magnet to your wheels. Seems decent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

tunney wrote: »
    With no capacitor it can only work while moving and would make you invisible when stopped.

Wow! It's an invisibility cloak too!! :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Rechargeable batteries.

Thank you.

Call again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

kneemos wrote: »
    Rechargeable batteries.

Thank you.

Call again.

you have to remember to recharge them - I've been caught by my USB charged light dying a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

loyatemu wrote: »
    you have to remember to recharge them - I've been caught by my USB charged light dying a couple of times.

I carry spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Distinct lack of people using panniers in the promo video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

kneemos wrote: »
    I carry spares.

I update a reminder on my phone so I know how many trips the current set of batteries have made, and put a spare set of fully charged replacements in my bag when it's near the end. Works ok, not too much bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I update a reminder on my phone so I know how many trips the current set of batteries have made, and put a spare set of fully charged replacements in my bag when it's near the end. Works ok, not too much bother.

Would like to hear actual reviews of these if they get the go ahead.

And that process you have, sounds like way too much effort for me to be honest. I would definitely forget to update any tracker and/or resent the fact I needed to.
    I currently have usb chargeable lights, when they are low there's a battery low indicator light and I just re-charge at home.

Advertisement