Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get us all a bad name!

• 22-11-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

How hard would it be to roll up a tube and bring it home for disposal instead of throwing it at the road side?

MT1gDLU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

rtmie wrote: »
    How hard would it be to roll up a tube and bring it home for disposal instead of throwing it at the road side?

MT1gDLU

It's not hard and anyone who litters the countryside should be ashamed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

MT1gDLU

How hard would be be for you to roll it up and take it home? Free tube thanks very much! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Pretty shameful,especially when if whoever it was pulled out and replaced the tube,they obviously had room to have one with them in the first place.

They are thrown up into trees in the Ballyhouras and everything,which is bad form. I live at the top of a hill which is fairly popular for road cyclists to climb,and I don't know is the the same guy,or a few different,but there is always gel packets and powerbar wrappers thrown in over the gate. At the same time it isn't anything compared to the general rubbish thrown out of cars,but it identifies cyclists as the culprits.

That being said,I lost a water bottle somewhere last week,so I too am a litter bug cyclist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

MT1gDLU

I think the days of caring for the planet are over. We messed up badly here. The focus now is on planning how and when we are going to leave before mother earth decides she has had enough of us.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I think the days of caring for the planet are over.
    can you let us know when those days were?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There was a stretch over the summer where I seen a different broken chain on the road every morning. How do you lose a chain and not pick it up at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Zyzz wrote: »
    How hard would be be for you to roll it up and take it home? Free tube thanks very much! :cool:

You know that only occurred to me now. When I stopped it was with the intention of picking it up to dispose of it, then took the photo and promptly forgot.

Greatly reduces my high moral ground:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭f1000

Tubes, if it can be fixed it's going back on (eventually), or in the closest bin. Don't even like throwing wrappers about, just stick them back in the jersey and carry on.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,533 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We don't need punctures to give us a bad name. Ignoring those who pay scant regard to road traffic laws there are plenty of cyclists who consider it acceptable to throw gel wrappers and other litter onto the road or into the hedgerows. Certainly a lot more than leave punctured tubes lying around

can you let us know when those days were?

Pre 1900-1950 perhaps. We are the first generation to experience the effects of this neglect and the last with the opportunity to do anything about it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pre 1900 pretty much all the trees in ireland had already been cut down. all of the megafauna except deer had been made extinct.
    there's no era in which man 'cared for the planet'. we are *far* from the first generation to experience issues. obviously we're seeing greater cumulative damage, but paradoxically, we're now one of the first generations where there's any sort of movement which gives a **** - regardless of how effective that sentiment might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Can never comprehend the mentality of going out for a spin in beautiful scenic surroundings to unwind and relax...and then f##k your rubbish around and destroy the very surroundings you're enjoying. Dull morons thinking they're in a pro race and have a sweeper crew coming behind them.
    Chased down a lad in Ballyhoura to hand back to him the gel wrapper he'd dropped, asked him had he seen a dirtbag whose throwing wrappers around...probably didn't get any point across into his thick skull but worth a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think the days of caring for the planet are over. We messed up badly here. The focus now is on planning how and when we are going to leave before mother earth decides she has had enough of us.

Someone clearly went to see "Interstellar" this week.

The moon landing never happened, let's all just stick to farming and worry about beef prices!

pre 1900 pretty much all the trees in ireland had already been cut down. all of the megafauna except deer had been made extinct.
    there's no era in which man 'cared for the planet'. we are *far* from the first generation to experience issues. obviously we're seeing greater cumulative damage, but paradoxically, we're now one of the first generations where there's any sort of movement which gives a **** - regardless of how effective that sentiment might be.

You describe insignificant historical contributory factors not effects. Recent significant effects are global warming, rising sea levels, climate change, increasing desertification crop failure etc. Accelerated due to the industrial revolution, intensive farming, the invention of the internal combustion engine and power tools which helped just one species to do all the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

f1000 wrote: »
    Tubes, if it can be fixed it's going back on (eventually), or in the closest bin. Don't even like throwing wrappers about, just stick them back in the jersey and carry on.

Every now and again you see one of the pros stick his empty wrapper into his pocket. Probably a lot of them do it but you only see the guys who do it in the break. Always comes across as a classy thing to do. Just one more responsible and teensy bit professional and caring about the sponsors image as well as being decent.

You describe insignificant historical contributory factors not effects.
    your thesis was that pre 1900, man cared for the planet. not being able to do as much damage =/= 'caring'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭mick121

littering is disgusting in any form.put it in a bin.put it in your pocket and bring it home.a handful of times I dropped a wrapper while on the bike trying to put in into my cycling jersey pocket.I stopped, got off the bike and picked it up.No time for narrow minded people who litter.Selfish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Hate this nonsense. Unfortunatly a lot of people do it. I regularly see mcdonalds litter in wicklow. Imagine driving all that way and then throwing stuff out the window like its weighing down the car! I recently was cycling up past the hellfire club and passing that really sharp bend i saw a full size ****ing fridge in the ditch. The effort needed to bring that up there instead of to a recycling centre beggars belief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Hate this nonsense. Unfortunatly a lot of people do it. I regularly see mcdonalds litter in wicklow. Imagine driving all that way and then throwing stuff out the window like its weighing down the car! I recently was cycling up past the hellfire club and passing that really sharp bend i saw a full size ****ing fridge in the ditch. The effort needed to bring that up there instead of to a recycling centre beggars belief!

Thankfully, cyclists cannot transport fridges and other such goods for dumping into the countryside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Wasn't saying that was cyclists i don't think they are too bad actually. Theres just a general disregard for the landscape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Maybe its time some of the manufacturers were encouraged to make bio-degradable wrappers so that if one should drop one by accident then it would not cause as much an impact on the environment.

Hate seen the gel wrappers on the roads and trails, you would think a pro race was after cycling by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

While leaving tubes, wrappers, etc is filthy, I'm sure we've all seen the black bags of domestic refuse that randomly litter the countryside that could only be fly tipped from a car. The amount of domestic rubbish that is illegally dumped is staggering but the respective councils do make a genuine effort to clear it up.

Some people have zero respect for the beauty of our countryside and they come form all walks of life - some just (unfortunately) happen to be cyclists too.

I am often in awe at the sheer beauty of the magnificent views on offer here in Ireland. How anyone could wilfully dump a blight on these views is beyond me.

Keep Ireland beautiful. It's not hard. The wrapper will take up less space in your pocket than it did before it was unwrapped and if it stains your jersey, so what. You'll be washing it after your shower unless you're a filthy ba$tard...................... and if you threw your litter on the roadside then you definitely are.

Advertisement