Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

racing question.

• 21-11-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Just want to know how many hours would you need to be doing to give A4 racing a right go next year?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭macbane66

Amprodude wrote: »
    Just want to know how many hours would you need to be doing to give A4 racing a right go next year?

Thanks

Everyone is different , personally I think.a lot of overtraining goes at times, didn't get in much mileage at all last year early on and was in the mix once I get 3 or 4 races into the legs and then started getting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

10 or 12, first few races youll know then if your doing enough. There will be lads training like A1's but its all about endurance and sprint at the 100m mark in A4 and knowing how to keep your nose clean!!

Jack Joll wrote: »
    10 or 12, first few races youll know then if your doing enough. There will be lads training like A1's but its all about endurance and sprint at the 100m mark in A4 and knowing how to keep your nose clean!!

What kind of sprint speeds do you see in A4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

80 - 90km/h doubt you'll see much past that!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Not about time, more about efficiency and intensity with the time you have. A powermeter would help you big time along with a coach or else working off a plan you make yourself. IMO 5-6 hours a week is loads for A4 as long as your training at the right intensity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

This will be my second year racing a4. First year I got 4points and was denied a position in another race due to a crash at the sprint to line. I have done just 5 races this year. Next year I'm trying to be more structured in my approach and doing 12hrs a week at the moment for winter training. 2 of those hours are 2 hard sessions on turbo mid week and rest are controlled low heart rate spins getting endurance in. I have a goal to get up to A3 and trying to do enough so I can stay with A3s if I do get upgraded.

I'd either cut out the low HR spins unless you really enjoy them or else reduce them and add more intensity. If you're capable of riding the longest distance comfortably that an A4 race offers you then whats the point continuing training your body to do it. There is a time and a place for lsd but for upgrading I'd be focusing on intensity. Its pretty easy to roll around the A4 pack with 1/2 decent fitness levels but its forcing breaks or hitting the gas within sight of the line that will get you points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Are all those high easy miles not for enduring fitness, as in, not to manage the length of an A4 race but to have a level of fitness that allows you to race for the year without burning out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭evancunny95

Its all about the speed your training at. Intervals . Its also about getting used to cycling at 35kmh plus for 70km plus,thats the toughest part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are all those high easy miles not for enduring fitness, as in, not to manage the length of an A4 race but to have a level of fitness that allows you to race for the year without burning out?
    I think they also allow you to run more efficiently (on fat) when the pace eases off, rather than continuing to burn glycogen, thus leaving more unburnt matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Few a2 racers have told me to concentrate on getting distance and endurance in now and keeping heart rate low but get few sprints in with the long rides and switch to big ring on hills from time to time. I am doing Mark kavanadish training video which is tough but I only do it once a week and do a different training video on other day of week. I wasn't doing either last year and got points on first season.

I would say A2s need more long distance as they're races require more endurance, i.e. are longer. They may also have plans to do stage races later next year which would require this type of training. But IMO for A4 you'd be better off doing more SubThreshold work this time of year to slowly build up a tolerance to these efforts. Like 4x5 min efforts at a level where you can just about feel the legs burning but can still maintain it. Then later in the year closer to racing season threshold and anaerobic endurance intervals along with sprinting and other specifics.

There's a good website called training4cyclists.com which has influenced my opinions in terms of time spent on the bike but that's all they are is opinions. Good luck with your cycling season.

Advertisement