Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter/Early Spring Sportives?

• 21-11-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

A group of us have signed up for the Tour of Flanders Sportive in April 2015. Getting the winter base miles in now but was wondering if there are many Winter/Early Spring Sportives that we could be looking forward to before Flanders. Based in Waterford but will travel 2/3 hours to take part if there are any. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

This interests me as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The Munster and Leinster sportives, in this link might suit.
    From previous experience with the Air Corps, they put on great events.

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/junior-tour-trust-fund-and-sportives/433

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

The Donal Crowley in Blarney in mid February. The local racing lads use it as a hole-opener for the Lacey Cup the week after, it's a hammerfest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

There are some Audax events in early 2015 that could fit the bill

The Angel of Mons 200
    Date: January 24, 2015
    Starts: 8:00 am
    Ends: January 24, 2015 - 10:00 pm

Kings Mountain 200
    Date: February 28, 2015
    Ends: February 28, 2015 - 10:00 pm

Midleton 200
    Date: March 7, 2015
    Ends: March 7, 2015 - 10:00 pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Portlaoise winter classic is in feb
    last years link
    http://www.laoiscycling.com/pwc_index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

The local racing lads use it as a hole-opener for the Lacey Cup the week after, it's a hammerfest.

Thanks but I'll steer clear of that one so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Be ready for all kinds of weather over there. I did it in 2013, there was a freezing fog sitting on us for the whole day, it never warmed up. Did the Kingsmountain 200 previously mentioned as training, it's a great one. Trip report is here (four part series) if you're curious :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Spins wrote: »
    A group of us have signed up for the Tour of Flanders Sportive in April 2015. Getting the winter base miles in now but was wondering if there are many Winter/Early Spring Sportives that we could be looking forward to before Flanders. Based in Waterford but will travel 2/3 hours to take part if there are any. Thanks

Why do you need organised sportives, every training ride can be a sportive.
    Its distance in the legs thats important , the fact you have X amount of people around will be of no benefit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Why do you need organised sportives

Hi,
    I don't need sportives and it has nothing to do with having anyone around me, I do almost all my training on my own, I just like sportives and would like to tie in a few to my training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Hi,
    I don't need sportives and it has nothing to do with having anyone around me, I do almost all my training on my own, I just like sportives and would like to tie in a few to my training.

Very good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Thanks but I'll steer clear of that one so.

Midleton 200km is a nice spin, you might have a couple of very strong lads flying around but plenty just getting a long spin in.

Lumpy enough, would be good one to have in legs before Flanders.

65miles or so from Blaaville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Pretty sure the New Ross club (Barrow Wheelers?) run one in January. The first Sportive of the year I think I heard it referred to as. Usually the racers use it to check out each other's winter training is going, but plenty of non racers also. Hope to do it next year.

Advertisement