Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a fixie please

Options
  • 21-11-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

Looking for a favour for a friend.

His commuter fixie was stolen recently and his wife is looking to replace it as a surprise for Christmas.
    He is a seasoned cyclist and triathlete so has a proper road bike.

She asked me to look but I was wondering if anybody was aware of good value anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I know they are not fixies but these guys sell some nice old Italian road bikes. They would be fairly easy to convert to a fixie and they would be pretty cool.
    http://www.powersgarage.net/index.php/italian-cycles/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Donie75 wrote: »
    I know they are not fixies but these guys sell some nice old Italian road bikes. They would be fairly easy to convert to a fixie and they would be pretty cool.

Pretty pointless really. Cycleways do the Specialized Langsters which are a good bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Bianchi do a lovely chrome one. Any lbs that stocks bianchi would have them.

Kilgrews in cork have one for around 800 i think.
    Bound to be other shops stocking then too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

I don't think we should be encouraging that sort of behavior. There's an abundance of old frames around without the need to go stripping apart classics ;) (good site though)

Seriously though, there's loads on Adverts, Donedeal etc. Not sure what you sort of money they're looking at spending but you could look into something like the Specialized 'Langster' which they sell in 'cycleways' on Parnell St. They're a lovely bike. Lots of the big bike brands do a single speed/fixed gear model. The Bianchi Pista is another nice one, or the on-one 'Pompino'. Fuji do one too. There will be stockists for most of these somewhere in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

There's a nice Langster in the adverts section btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Doc07

Off topic but I would love that 1990's Bianchi, it's very like Pantani's 1998 giro/tour bike. I'd pay the asking price but nowhere to hide it at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Oops, it looks like I touched a nerve... I just thought that if the guy is a proper roadie and he uses a fixie/SS for commuting then he might like a real road bike to convert. Most fixies/SS these days seem to be conversions rather than new bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Doc07 wrote: »
    Off topic but I would love that 1990's Bianchi, it's very like Pantani's 1998 giro/tour bike. I'd pay the asking price but nowhere to hide it at home!

I almost hit send myself. Zero room. My gaff is all bikes and book towers forever threatening to topple

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

But back on topic, I'd love a cinelli or Milwaukee, but you could always get a surly with handbuilt wheels for ultimate toughness

Steamroller frame is c400 online but the Mary's abbey place sells or can get them. Darragh @ bee cycles I'd say is the best bet for wheels but he's prob slammed. Rose will build up road wheels maybe they'll do fixed

Advertisement