Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2014

Options
  • 02-03-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭

If it's tolerable to start a winter thread in august I'm sure we can start a summer one in March
    Right folks any predictions
    Anything like last summer would be great highly unlikely I'm sure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Lets have a nice spring first but yeah would love to get a summer like last year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Scientist in Germany predicting a scorcher due to the warm winter so far and the El-nino influence

Don't have a link ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

It could be a month before we see a decent spell if the latest cold shot in America repeats the Atlantic awakenings the succession of previous ones did.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

is the US cold spell kicking off again??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

In my experience its rare to have a warm dry summer after a warm dry spring. Since the models are pointing to a prolonged settled spell from next week I wonder how that will play into our summer. Does anyone have stats on this?? - I'd love to be proved wrong!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

weisses wrote: »
    Scientist in Germany predicting a scorcher due to the warm winter so far and the El-nino influence

Don't have a link ...

Here you go: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2556766/Could-2014-hottest-record-El-Ni-o-phenomenon-spew-massive-amounts-heat.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I reckon not as good as last summer but not the washout of 2012,maybe an average summer is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

aboyro wrote: »
    is the US cold spell kicking off again??

Massive snowstorm in Washington DC right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Yup and currently several degrees below zero from Boston to Washington and south of there.
    Longer daylight might mitigate the difference between air and sea temps over the western Atlantic as that icy cold mixes in,meaning it won't cook up storms as severe as we have had,but still a recipe for loads of trans Atlantic depressions in the short to medium term.

A drought by the end of June wouldn't surprise me though. Weather does equalise so be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

whitebriar wrote: »

A drought by the end of June wouldn't surprise me though. Weather does equalise so be happy

I'd subscribe to that theory too - hopefully it means a summer dominated by hot dry south easterlies:D;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

whitebriar wrote: »
    Yup and currently several degrees below zero from Boston to Washington and south of there.
    Longer daylight might mitigate the difference between air and sea temps over the western Atlantic as that icy cold mixes in,meaning it won't cook up storms as severe as we have had,but still a recipe for loads of trans Atlantic depressions in the short to medium term.

This is what I'm pinning my hopes on, the Spring equinox is in a few weeks and we'll have more light than dark so the air should start warming up and take the oumph out of the weather, hopefully the jet stream will feck off to a degree anyway.

This will do for now

dewqrb.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after the rotten winter with endless wind, rain and mild temperatures I hope this summer brings us something decent, maybe not as hot as last summer but a few weeks of mid 20s would be very welcoming and some storms moving up from central spain would be an added bonus! I missed out on the 2 week hot spell last summer as I was in Spain at the time so would like to witness decent weather in Ireland this summer when Im home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

If we get one or two warm spells in March/April/May then I'd sticky my neck out and say the summer will be dire.

No Science behind it, just what I think would happen. Getting a good spring AND a good summer hasn't happened in a long time.

Advertisement