Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're working on bringing the Search function back

Options
  • 12-10-2009 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just a quick update on the return of our search feature - we're currently working on bringing it back. Part of the issue has been the recent, regrettable, outages of service you have experienced.

Our tech team are working on resolving these problems. This should make browsing Boards.ie that bit better for you.

We're extremely sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you in browsing - it's a pain for us as well - but we're hoping to get it back for you as quickly as possible. In the meantime we'd appreciate your patience and understanding while we recover the missing hamsters work on getting it back for you.

Thanks

Darragh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 motipp

Darragh wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just a quick update on the return of our search feature - we're currently working on bringing it back. Part of the issue has been the recent, regrettable, outages of service you have experienced.

Our tech team are working on resolving these problems. This should make browsing Boards.ie that bit better for you.

We're extremely sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you in browsing - it's a pain for us as well - but we're hoping to get it back for you as quickly as possible. In the meantime we'd appreciate your patience and understanding while we recover the missing hamsters work on getting it back for you.

Thanks

Darragh
    Thanks Darragh. I only joined yesterday and couldn't believe there was no search function...look forward to getting it sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Yeah.. well.... good..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Darragh wrote: »
    while we recover the missing hamsters work on getting it back for you.
    Found one slacking on the job :D

sleepingmo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What about bringing sexy back?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I'm sure everybody would like to know, what caused it? (If I may ask?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Excellent ... I've been searching for that for a while now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Any chance of making a 2 or 3 character word searchable when the search function is back up?

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Thanks again folks.I thought I was becoming more incompetent at the computer.Was cracking up! Good work and Regards;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Nobrow

Have you ever used the search feature? It's thoroughly useless. Don't kill yourself with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I use it heavily to find threads I have posted on. I know I can subscribe to threads, but I find this way faster...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Nobrow wrote: »
    Have you ever used the search feature? It's thoroughly useless. Don't kill yourself with it.

WHAT?! I am like a lost soul without it. I post across all types of fora and will often jump into a random conversation that catches my interest. The result is that the next day I need to search all the previous posts I have made in the last day or so in order to follow up on each thread the responses my post may have garnered.

Any word on a date for when it will fixed?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I use it to see the drunken posts I've made the night before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The search feature is more than about archives, its also about the New Posts facility.

Cmar-Ireland, that would be great for all those three letter acronyms but it won't happen due to the vast increase in hamsters required for such short terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Any chance of making a 2 or 3 character word searchable when the search function is back up?

Keep up the good work!

That would probably kill the servers, imagine searching for a 2 char string?

You can search more effectively by using boolean operators, mainly * to pad out the char limit

It's incredibly useful for moderators, and for those who want to pickup discussions where they last posted (my recent posts) as well as just about searching for anything in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I respectfully disagree with what you said, but will defend to death your right to say it search for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

ah, it's handy to make quick judgments on people by glancing through all their posts. or maybe that's just me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

i notice this hasn't been annswered yet

lol totally agree:D

it was that "new post" button i used to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Why is this taking so long?

Search is a really basic function... sort it out.

People use this site for reference and its just not acceptable to not have a functioning search facility.

When you build a community you then have a responsibility to manage it correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

The 'Search this thread' icon on this page is mocking me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Take yr time already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Is there a rough timeframe of how long it'll take to come back? I have so many thanked posts that I want to look at :p

Cheers for all the work btw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

site:boards.ie "<insert search term here>" will do just fine for me!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Sorry, I should have known.

Never ever ever type "boards" in to the boards search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭finipops

Well i only joined about an hour ago and i may be getting the hangs of things i was also wondering why there was no searching but now i know.

Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

It comes in handy when your looking for important old posts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thank you all for your posts and replies. We are still working on the issue and hoping to resolve it as soon as possible.

The site is hugely busy and part of the issue is that. It's our tech team's top priority and as soon as I have a date on when it will be back and stable, I'll let you know.

We're currently investing in more infrastructure to try make sure it doesn't happen in the same way again, but as with any website that is getting over 1.5 million unique visitors a month, there are loads of variables here.

We appreciate your patience and beg your forgiveness - it's as much a pain for us as it is you - but we are working on it.

Thanks

Darragh

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement