Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extractor fan - 2 inch pipe

Options
  • 20-05-2019 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I need some help finding an extractor fan.

The builder has put in a 2 inch pipe in a downstairs bathroom to be fitted for an extractor fan.

The problem is the electrician doesn't know of any fans that will fit that pipe. Most fans are designed to fit a 4/6 inch pipe.

Anyone now where I would find an extractor fan for a 2 inch pipe?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No idea where you would get a 2” fan. A fan that size won’t be much good I’m afraid. It’s just too small. I suggest that you get the builder to install the correct size duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭AnswerIs42

I wish that were an option but that pipe is all I have. Sounds like I'll have to do without a fan. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Typically 4" fan in a bathroom and 6" fan in a kitchen.

I doubt 2" fans exist - as alluded to, if they did they would likely be pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

You could use a reducer to bring the 2 inch pipe up to a 4 inch connection but you'd have to get this into the wall somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's not a big job to turn a 2 inch hole into a 4 inch hole.
    Building Regulations will have something to say about doing without an extractor.
    I would get the builder back to do a satisfactory job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    I wish that were an option but that pipe is all I have. Sounds like I'll have to do without a fan. Thanks for the reply

Some builder.

I don't see why the following won't aid and abet your situation:

1. The pipe presumably has a run you can access somewhere

2. Locate a suitable place where there is room (the attic?) - as close to the bathroom as possible

3. Install three or four fans (depending on how much 2" between them and the bathroom) stacked to each other. The fans will draw through the 2 " pipe. You'll need a reducer to convert from 2" to 4" and find a way to connect the 4" to the inlet of your first fan. You can Tec7 the fans together if you like, after pulling a cable from each

4. Fit 4" duct from the fans to exit point to reduce flow resistance

They don't pull many watts, fans, so no issue with electrical load. Just your cobbling things together

I've spoken to the builder and he says the stud is only big enough for a 2 inch pipe so increasing the pipe size is not an option.

The pipe goes from bathroom roof through the upstairs into the attic via a stud wall so no easy access.

He says that using a reducer will probably cause the fan motor to burn out as the motor would be trying to push the air in to far to small a space for it. He has no suggestions of how to get it work. He suggests installing new pipe that runs from bathroom into the room beside it and then to the outside. Not ideal but it is what it is.

Anyway, thanks for the replies above. I'll need to think about next move.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Does the bathroom not have an external wall?
    Who specified the construction in such a manner that a 2" extractor was allowed?
    Why did your builder not question or identify this issue before finishing the job?

banie01 wrote: »
    Does the bathroom not have an external wall?

No, the bathroom is in the middle of the house, under the stairs with no external wall.

As to the other questions, I guess mistakes were made and it is what it is. We'll just have to make the best of it that we can

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

The pipe goes from bathroom roof through the upstairs into the attic via a stud wall so no easy access.

Any reason why the pipe can't go between the Attic joists and then straight up with flexible pipe to tile vent? has the Attic been converted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

AnswerIs42 wrote: »
    I guess mistakes were made and it is what it is. We'll just have to make the best of it that we can

I disagree.

The way I see it:
    This is the unacceptable and the builder’s problem to resolve, not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

2011 wrote: »
    I disagree.

The way I see it:
    This is the unacceptable and the builder’s problem to resolve, not yours.

Exactly why did he put in a two inch pipe if he hadn't researched to see if an appropriate fan could be purchased?

You're paying for his expertise which are questionable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

heffo500 wrote: »
    Exactly why did he put in a two inch pipe if he hadn't researched to see if an appropriate fan could be purchased?

You're paying for his expertise which are questionable now.
    He must have thought he was extracting a doll house bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely all that was required was a localised thickening in the upstairs wall to take the 4 inch pipe or a flat duct of equivalent cross section if really stuck.
    Builder is a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Flat ducting is generally about 50 mm that should surely have been put in.

Advertisement