Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilemma, surprise surprise

Options
  • 16-05-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Quick back story. And seeking people opinions. I know the types of responses I will get (buy the damn bike etc) but bouncing this around might give me some clarity.

I have a 2016 Spesch Roubaix with decent wheels and 6870 Di2. I was a two bike warrior but decided last year to just have the one for year round cycling. (I'm happy with the bike but have an itch to get something better). Train hard but no real intention of racing (too old). Have an option to buy a very good second hand bike, with or without groupset. I don't want to end up with 2 bikes, so if I buy the frame and move the di2 over to it then I would have a frame (Spesh) that I don't think is worth much. There is the option of putting 105 on that and using it for winter but I dont want two bikes (even a hack). Would I even be able to sell the Spesh frame (I really don't think so, but maybe someone wants it to convert to a winter training bike). No idea how much it's worth.

I will get to test ride the new bike for a week to suss out the sizing/geometry.

What are people thoughts/opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Luxman wrote: »
    Would I even be able to sell the Spesh frame (I really don't think so,

Why the hell not? - Anything can be sold and eventually everything sells, it's just a matter of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What age/spec frame is it? I'm looking for a 56cm frameset to build up to leave at my MILs house for use when we stay there over the summer. It'll be a budget build so don't want anything too expensive.

Just as a matter of note for yourself...I bought an S-Works Roubaix frameset at Christmas, its the 2015 model, SL4 model. It was more or less new with very little use and came in its original box with receipts etc etc from specialized. I paid €650 for it. That might give you an indication as to how much your frameset is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

@fat bloke - thanks for your reply. I suppose I would eventually shift it on, most of the value in the bike does appear in the groupset and wheels rather than the frame.
    @cee-jay-cee, thank you too. Its only a 52cm frame (im a short arse). Its in ok nick I suppose. Showing signs of wear for a 4 year old frame. One unsightly nick on the down tube where an allen key popped a hole in the paintwork during a pedal removal. Its the jump from a (maybe 350Euro frame) to a 2K frame that causing the dilemma I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I don't want to end up with 2 bikes
    lack of storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In my opinion, the best value by far is always in a complete build. The cheapest groupset you'll ever buy is the one that's fitted to a full bike. -The less committed you are to a particular spec or frame manaufacturer, then the better chance you have of picking up a right bargain, either new or second hand.

• Advertisement

lack of storage?
    Not really. I ran two bikes and the maintenance and running of.both I found more hassle than one bike and decent care during winter months. Simplicity I suppose. Plus the tutting from SWMBO always findinh bike crap all over the place😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Not really. I ran two bikes and the maintenance and running of.both I found more hassle than one bike and decent care during winter months. Simplicity I suppose. Plus the tutting from SWMBO always findinh bike crap all over the place��

Off topic I know but even though have 2 road bikes myself (and an old mountain bike which is mainly used these days locally ) I fully understand your reasoning. I think one bike is great if you can do without it for a while. But if I had only one bike the last 5 years (and one set of wheels) it would have meant quite a few missed races/spins etc.

Off topic I know but even though have 2 road bikes myself (and an old mountain bike which is mainly used these days locally ) I fully understand your reasoning. I think one bike is great if you can do without it for a while. But if I had only one bike the last 5 years (and one set of wheels) it would have meant quite a few missed races/spins etc.

That was a concern for me, but I don't race and if I miss a club spin because i find its punctured or something similar) I can keep my training on schedule as I quite enjoy my solo spins. But with one bike I have the mindset now of having the bike ready for the next spin more of less straight after I finish one. (I do have two sets of wheels though). There is less clutter with spare parts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I too can see your reasons for only having one bike and I did consider it myself but in the end up settled on having three (down from 4)

My winter bike is alloy, has disc brakes, mudguards, lights etc etc and gets used all year round.

I have my 'best bike' lightweight comfortable all day rim brake carbon bike for dry/summer use. I would hate the thought of having to faff about putting the mudguards and lights on this bike everytime I wanted to use it during wet weather.

Lastly, I have a 29er MTB which gets used quite a bit in deepest winter when I'd rather stay off the roads and stick to forest trails and fire roads around me.

I did have a 4th bike which sat on the turbo trainer and only got used on very rare occasions. It was a brand new bike that I picked up for pennies and I eventually sold it (for a very handsome profit) as it was simply too good to be used a turbo bike.

I have a huge garage and so space isn't a problem, all three bikes are used regularly and even my wife agrees that I need and make good use of them all...which is probably the most important thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,325 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm up to six at the moment, though two have not been used in over a year. one of those 'you expand to fit the space available' scenarios.

• Advertisement
Advertisement