Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solo female travelling to Lanzarote

Options
  • 05-04-2019 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

So I've booked 5 days in lanzarote mid June, travelling on my own , first time travelling to the sun on my own (age 48) I have my flight booked but not my accommodation. My plan is just to relax, read some books and a nice meal in the evening. Wondering should I splash out and go all inclusive , if so has anyone a recommendations please! If not all inclusive then maybe recommendation for self catering , is Puerto del Carmen the best place to visit? Thanks for reading , Val.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Went to Lanzarote on my own for a week about 7 or 8 years ago. Stayed in Hesperia in Puerto Calero, off season deal, resort itself is a small little resort a few k outside Puerto Del Carmen.

Personally wouldn't book all inclusive, I don't think the food tends to be great in European AI and there's loads of reasonable restaurant choices in the main resorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, skip the all-inclusive, book an apartment or aparthotel so you'll have your breakfast available and a pool and otherwise eat out, there are really good canarian and every other cuisine on the stretch from Playa Pocillos down to old town PdC. Ideal spot for solo relaxation I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Another vote for Puerto Calero, very relaxing and near enough to PDC to get a taxi. There are restaurants, cafes and shops there too so you wouldn't have to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just back from playa Blanca with my family. Went AI and saw a number of single people doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Do you drink ? If so proper Irish bar called Nelly's in Puerto Del Carmen, easy hang out and make buddies there.

• Advertisement

Consider some good value nice places in Costa Teguise it down south in Papagayo where I spent a splendid folk AI Christmas to give the relatives badly needed space for returnees for Christmas from far away! There’s a special island off the south coast called aka Graciosa-just book online, get a bus from airport via Puerto del Carmen or capital Arrecife to Ozola is south from where short ferry ride is taken to Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Check out Los Jameos playa hotel . They do a fab all inclusive . The hotel is super as are the staff lovely pool too. . I have seen plenty of people on their own there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Consider some good value nice places in Costa Teguise it down south in Papagayo where I spent a splendid folk AI Christmas to give the relatives badly needed space for returnees for Christmas from far away! There’s a special island off the south coast called aka Graciosa-just book online, get a bus from airport via Puerto del Carmen or capital Arrecife to Ozola is south from where short ferry ride is taken to Island.

Graciosa is off the North Coast of Lanzarote. Costa Teguise and Papagayo are 2 different places. I’d give Teguise a miss it’s very breezy and Papagayo whilst a lovely spot is a bit remote. Would probably give the AI a miss too OP tones of great restaurants to sample and plenty of people solo travel out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Thanks guys for your replies, yes I drink so would like the option of having a few drinks after a meal maybe listen to some live bands. I'll do some more research !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Don't go all inclusive. Loads of really good restaurants in PDC. All kinds of food. Is the best part of it I think trying someplace new every evening.

If you're solo then maybe go for dinner early as places won't be full yet. You can normally have your choice of tables.

Loads of Irish bars in PDC also if that's your thing. It's usually very easy to strike up a conversation with someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Def don’t go AI...loads of fab restaurants, go to PDC, it’s a large resort but easy to get about the strip....you can enjoy choosing a diff restaurant each night, much better than staying out due to AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

If I was traveling alone, I'd probably opt for a well reviewed AI or half board hotel, ideally adult only, was last in PDC in 2015, thought the standard of food was very mixed from poor to average really in the restaurants both on the strip & around the harbour, we prefer Fuerteventura to Lanzarote & like the Riu hotels, a lot of them could do with updating & a lick of paint but the food & staff are excellent, maybe read the reviews on TA

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/HotelsList-Lanzarote-All-Inclusive-Hotels-zfp612380.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If I was traveling alone, I'd probably opt for a well reviewed AI or half board hotel, ideally adult only, was last in PDC in 2015, thought the standard of food was very mixed from poor to average really in the restaurants both on the strip & around the harbour, we prefer Fuerteventura to Lanzarote & like the Riu hotels, a lot of them could do with updating & a lick of paint but the food & staff are excellent, maybe read the reviews on TA

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/HotelsList-Lanzarote-All-Inclusive-Hotels-zfp612380.html

Friends stayed in a 5* , gran Castillo in PB last week. They segregated families in the restaurant from adults. They said the AI was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Volcan hotel in plays Blanca b&b right at the marina and all the restaurants. Nice pub across the road. Lovely area

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I really detest all inclusives they add very little to the local economy and you don’t experience local culture

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Yeah, please don't go AI, I'm here now and the options to eat out are endless and very reasonably priced.

AI takes from the local income and puts money in already rich hotel chains, the more popular AI gets, the less business locals do which ultimately destroys the area you're visiting.

We've been getting English/Irish breakfast of good quality for 3 euro each mostly, and dinners have been very good, average of 10 - 12 euro.
    Most places do beers for a euro from 1 - 8PM

ted1 wrote: »
    I really detest all inclusives they add very little to the local economy and you don’t experience local culture

In some ways I agree with you, AI wouldn't be for us, as a general rule in the past we'd go self catering but in the OP's case as she only has 5 nights, traveling solo, I think AI or HB is the better option, walking out in the evening in PDC looking for a table for one wouldn't be for me, a week or less in the Canaries, HB for us all the way, it's great value we don't tend to drink in the hotel bars in the evening so do head out to experience the locality & make a positive financial contribution so it can be done

The AI's in Fuerteventura are very popular especially in the south of the island & you are right they do have a negative impact on the local restaurants & bars, a week or less it's HB for us, 8 nights or more then it's self catering, it's nice to wake up to a large varied breakfast all sorted for you & a fantastic dinner buffet especially on a short trip, you are on holiday after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Valyawl wrote: »
    So I've booked 5 days in lanzarote mid June, travelling on my own , first time travelling to the sun on my own (age 48) I have my flight booked but not my accommodation. My plan is just to relax, read some books and a nice meal in the evening. Wondering should I splash out and go all inclusive , if so has anyone a recommendations please! If not all inclusive then maybe recommendation for self catering , is Puerto del Carmen the best place to visit? Thanks for reading , Val.

That's a sweet trip ! Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Might as well go to Galway or wherever if you want an Irish Breakfast. WTF.

I can't imagine a Spaniard coming here and getting Churros Y Chocolat for brekkie. Can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Love having my breakfast in the hotel as it’s a good start to the day but AI generally means a buffet for dinner, I like to go out for a good meal and AI in these sort of places is generally no better than grand. Buffet also means the restaurant is busy with people getting up and down constantly which ends up quite noisy. If I were on my own like the OP I’d like a quiet table to read at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ted1 wrote: »

Local culture is only experienced outside the main drag IMO.

I hope that does not sound bad, but it is the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Local culture is only experienced outside the main drag IMO.

I hope that does not sound bad, but it is the truth.

Partially due to all inclusives....

I spend a lot of time travelling with work and spending time with local businesses and seen the effect the all inconclusives have is heart breaking.

All the money going to foreign hotel owners, beach access being restricted, minimum wage jobs. Nothing going to local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Puerto Del Carmen all the way. Puerto Calero is lovely but too quiet for a solo traveller.

If you'll go out for dinner or cook yourself definitely do a nice self catering apartment. Preferably somewhere thats mostly Irish/English with a pool bar so you'll meet people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Might as well go to Galway or wherever if you want an Irish Breakfast. WTF.

I can't imagine a Spaniard coming here and getting Churros Y Chocolat for brekkie. Can you?

Nice bit of white pudding in the midday sun

Hey OP, definitely stay in a hotel in you are travelling solo.
    But no need for all inclusive unless you are happy to stay in the hotel all week.
    If you want to do a few different things, then just go b&b.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Did you have any problems with Mosquitos at night time? I have heard of this particular issue from people who recently returned from Lanzarote - even the use of netting was not enough to prevent bites.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Did you have any problems with Mosquitos at night time? I have heard of this particular issue from people who recently returned from Lanzarote - even the use of netting was not enough to prevent bites.

No, never experienced any issues in the Canaries, could be wrong but I thought mosquitoes needed still bodies of water like lakes to survive? A quick Google would suggest there are certainly people getting bitten in PDC though
    Maybe bring some antihistamine with you, Deet jungle seems well reviewed or go to a pharmacy as soon as you get there & see what the locals use but as I say we've never been affected in Lanzarote or Fuerteventura, the Mrs was absolutely savaged in Italy one year though & I didn't have one bite

I can highly recommend the garden apartments of Playa Club. https://www.playaclublanzarote.com/images.php
    We’ve been a number of times and find it perfect for our needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

went to playa blanca 2.5 years ago, lovely little village. Stayed in Princess Yaiza, amazing hotel. Promenade with loads of shops and a lovely little enclave beach about 30 seconds walk from the hotel.

Loved it, even with 2 kids under 5 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

A lot of people seem to be praising the standard of Puerto del Carmen's restaurants but IMHO they're mostly only OK - usual average quality international fare for the most part - having said that, that's likely better than an All Inclusive anyway. There are one or two restaurants which buck the trend and offer something higher quality - La Canada springs to mind.

Advertisement