Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruitment Question

Options
  • 13-01-2021 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi guys, I was previously told that if you know someone who works in the college you could be at an advantage in the application process and vetting etc? Does anyone know if this is true? It hardly seems fair if true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Tipp96 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I was previously told that if you know someone who works in the college you could be at an advantage in the application process and vetting etc? Does anyone know if this is true? It hardly seems fair if true.

who knows. cant be a disadvantage anyway unless they don't like you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HalfBlues

Absolute nonsense whoever told you that. There's a high turnover of guards there from transfers etc. If you don't feel comfortable then don't mention it during interview

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gerty123

Tipp96 wrote: »

All applications are out sourced to public jobs, the guards have nothing to do with the first 3 stages. You have to pass all 3 stages to get through to the medical and PCT. Medical and PCT are a pass or fail. Vetting is very slow and can't be sped up by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lozzy123

HalfBlues wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense whoever told you that. There's a high turnover of guards there from transfers etc. If you don't feel comfortable then don't mention it during interview

Personally - I would hedge my bets that those with family in high places ... IE the Gaurds... would absolutely have a better chance at a speedier process. I think we would all be lying to ourself to say that the process is 110% fair. You can guarantee in some circumstances that those with family or close friends within AGS have put in a call or two and to be honest I don’t blame them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mickod123

Well folks, do ye reckon many fail the medical side of it? I believe it’s a hearing test, eye test, dental test, blood pressure test and a urine test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

Mickod123 wrote: »
    Well folks, do ye reckon many fail the medical side of it? I believe it’s a hearing test, eye test, dental test, blood pressure test and a urine test?

No dental test.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Everything is documented and reviewed for fairness. There were so many claims of needing to know someone that the system is now bulletproof and knowing someone can't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Mickod123 wrote: »

I've heard a lot of people get caught out with the eye tests.

Rich_ccfc wrote: »
    No dental test.

As far as I know, this is part of what is checked in the medical.

Caries are a serious problem / cause for fail apparently?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Solocarthorse

Zux wrote: »
    As far as I know, this is part of what is checked in the medical.

Caries are a serious problem / cause for fail apparently?

No dental test

• Advertisement

As insightful as repeating the same sentence is, it must be a new change, previous Garda documentation for this states the following:

9. Medical Examination:
    Subject to having successfully undergone a comprehensive screening process to establish their general suitability, successful applicants from Stage 3 of the selection process will also be required to undergo an exacting medical examination by a Registered Medical Practitioner nominated by the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána.

Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical examination:
    1. Obesity (applicants must comply with the relevant height/weight guidelines)
    2. Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision)
    3. Varicose veins
    4. Albumenuria
    5. Dental Caries
    6. Defective Hearing
    7. Hypertension, etc.

Such applicants must be of good mental and bodily health and free from any defect or abnormality likely to interfere with the efficient performance of their duties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

As insightful as repeating the same sentence is, it must be a new change, previous Garda documentation for this states the following:

9. Medical Examination:
    Subject to having successfully undergone a comprehensive screening process to establish their general suitability, successful applicants from Stage 3 of the selection process will also be required to undergo an exacting medical examination by a Registered Medical Practitioner nominated by the Commissioner of An Garda Síochána.

Any of the following examples of medical conditions may be a bar to passing the medical examination:
    1. Obesity (applicants must comply with the relevant height/weight guidelines)
    2. Defective Vision (the vision standard required of a Garda Trainee is not less than 6/18, 6/18 (correctable to 6/9, 6/12) unaided by glasses or contact lenses, with normal colour vision)
    3. Varicose veins
    4. Albumenuria
    5. Dental Caries
    6. Defective Hearing
    7. Hypertension, etc.

Such applicants must be of good mental and bodily health and free from any defect or abnormality likely to interfere with the efficient performance of their duties.

My mate is a Garda and said they don't bother with the dental

My mate is a Garda and said they don't bother with the dental

Good to know, I'd rather they didn't also to be honest.

Though dont think I'll risk it when the time comes and will just get it squared away to be on the safe side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Khumatmibro

Good to know, I'd rather they didn't also to be honest.

Though dont think I'll risk it when the time comes and will just get it squared away to be on the safe side.

If you've teeth on you like a multi tool it's probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Think that’s a solid plan regardless of medical exams

If you've teeth on you like a multi tool it's probably for the best.

LMAO - luckily its just a filling that has fallen out, but agreed.

Advertisement