Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Omega

• 30-10-2015 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi.

I have the opportunity to purchase this watch, but has no box or paperwork.

could anyone identify if this is real or fake, and what to look out for?

Many thanks.

Attachment not found.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sorry Derv your picture comes back as an invalid link. That said D it's almost impossible to tell real from fake just going by a picture, even many pictures. Unless it's a cheap Moroccan holiday special. You really need to see it in the flesh and with some of the high end fakes it can even be hard to tell until you see the movement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

As we always say around these parts.. But the seller not the watch.. If that makes sense! Where is it for sale? Ask the questions about why there is no box or papers?
    As an example.. There is a breitling up on adverts at the moment for around €3.5k.. The seller has no box or papers because his grandad gave it to him.. Alarm bells start to ring..
    Buyer asks diameter of the watch and they have no idea what that means.. Alarm bells..
    If it looks to good to be true or you are not 100% then just walk away.
    As wibbs mentioned the fakes are so good these days even an authorised distributor may not be able to tell at a quick glance.
    Post the link here and we can take a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,146 ✭✭✭893bet

Omega fakes are generally poor.

Post 7 pictures from different angles.

Also please be aware of buying online the seller may be using photos of a real watch he pulled from somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭derv60

Sorry for the delay guys. Yes the guys says the watch is from a family member, and the discarded the box and papers.

These are the pictures the guy has sent me, hopefully they work.

The watch is located in the channel islands, where I live now. Seller has absolutely no problem in meeting up and me viewing the watch.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

derv60 wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay guys. Yes the guys says the watch is from a family member, and the discarded the box and papers.

These are the pictures the guy has sent me, hopefully they work.

The watch is located in the channel islands, where I live now. Seller has absolutely no problem in meeting up and me viewing the watch.

Thanks again

Do not let Mitch B see that bezel :-)

• Advertisement

:confused:
    sparrowcar wrote: »
    Do not let Mitch B see that bezel :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'm not too up on the special editions, but the fact that the case back says 0001/5007 was cause alarm bells with me. I think these editions are individually numbered. The bezel pip also looks off (as does the orange colour on the dial).

Actually, the HE valve doesn't look correct either. It looks to be sitting bang on 10 in that picture and they sit slightly off on the real one.

Seconds hand looks off too. Where it goes to the point (before the orange) should be in the middle of the 12.

I am also slightly concerned about the case back. Typically the "p" in planet and the "o" in Ocean are taller than the other letters. See attached my PO.

I wouldn't buy without insisting on the case back being opened for a movement inspection.

Actually forget that. It is 1000% fake. Just zoomed in on the cask back. Quality is poor of text.

As attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

In fairness the cover story would have had me running for the hills long before I got a look at the watch. Relative gave them a watch worth several thousand €/$/£ but they don't really wear watches and lost the boxes moving house or some such crap..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Remember I said earlier that it's damned hard to tell just going on pictures? Not in this case Derv, it's defo fake. Run away from that and don't waste your hard earned cash on it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Also for clarity the presence of box and papers means shag all.

Take a look at donedeal at all the fake rolex with options for box and papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Absolutely 100% fake, and a poor one at that.

Thanks very much guys, I knew it was too good to be true. I was going to arrange to see it tomorrow but no need now! Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Auction_king

If your buying without any papers you would want to get it looked at by a specialized watch Jewellers before handing over money

If your buying without any papers you would want to get it looked at by a specialized watch Jewellers before handing over money

Papers are a lot easier fake than the watch. They add a little assurance but not much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Auction_king

893bet wrote: »
    Papers are a lot easier fake than the watch. They add a little assurance but not much.

That's why i mentioned to bring to a watch Jewellers to get it checked before paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 denisedxx

Is my omega watch a fake ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 denisedxx

• Advertisement

Yes. A very obvious one too.

The broad arrows have thick tapered hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

denisedxx wrote: »

Yep thats a narrow arrow.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Very good

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No. Actually, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

just agreeing with folk here

The PO helium valve is always off set, Broad Arrow..Hands are like arrows...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Not to mention the sub dials chronos pretending to be annual calendars....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

denisedxx wrote: »

If it’s not then it’s some frankenwatch. The obverse says “Broad Arrow” but the hands are not broad arrow hands. The sundials are not any style i’ve Ever seen on a speedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Nope, those are swords rather than arrows.

Advertisement