Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposits

Options
  • 02-04-2020 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi, i had a foal born 6mths ago and someone I know put a deposit on her to hold her till she was weaned end of April. He has just told me he has changed his mind and is giving me a hard time about returning his deposit of €100. He's insisting deposits on horses are always returned, who is right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Deposit is non-refundable in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Change of mind is his problem in my view

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

If they are friends, for the sake of it I'd give back the deposit, maybe they have lost their job due to the current situation we are all in.

If not, I'd tell them to sod off, if you put a deposit on anything else amd changed your mind you wouldn't get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭redroisin

charlieIRL wrote: »
    If they are friends, for the sake of it I'd give back the deposit, maybe they have lost their job due to the current situation we are all in.

If not, I'd tell them to sod off, if you put a deposit on anything else amd changed your mind you wouldn't get it back.

He doesn't have money problems, young and lives at home, dragged his feet actually paying the deposit although I was begged to let them have her, he bought 2 others outright before I got the deposit. Now he's annoyed I won't return it and the other €100 he paid towards her.... Keeps wanting to know when I'll pay it, I said when I have it in a couple of weeks. He's actually better off financially than I am 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

For the sake of a night in a pub I'd give it to him. But I'd make it known how deposits work and you have rejected other offers, you won't do business with him in future, and anyone who asks will be told.

If his reputation or your business relationship isn't worth €100 to him, I'd thank your lucky stars it's only cost €100 to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

redroisin wrote: »
    Hi, i had a foal born 6mths ago and someone I know put a deposit on her to hold her till she was weaned end of April. He has just told me he has changed his mind and is giving me a hard time about returning his deposit of €100. He's insisting deposits on horses are always returned, who is right?

That's poppycóck. A deposit is the payment made in lieu of you holding the animal for them until they have the full amount. No matter whether it's a horse, car or television. If they change their mind, the deposit is forfeited. It's pretty much given to deter this kind of behavior!
    I'd not give it back to him, hate that type of bollocking about with people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Would it be worth returning most of the deposit to him, just holding onto a small percentage, say €20, to show goodwill, but at the same time reminding him what a deposit is?

Advertisement