Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving to another country to Work From Home?

• 02-08-2020 5:10pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Since so many are working full time from home, and some of the big companies have said it's going to continue into 2021, perhaps further, has anyone considered temporarily moving to another country?

It's always been a crazy dream of mine to earn a good salary but live on a beach in Thailand or similar and live for peanuts. Unfortunately many are closed down at the moment due to covid, and it might be a bit far away, perhaps there are other interesting and ckeap places to live in and explore to get away from things for a while.

Where would you go if you wanted to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Zascar wrote: »

Somewhere yhat my employer already has a tax presence in.

Because that's the only.plsce you'll get permission to do it.

I don't think that Thailand issues work visas for this, even when they're open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, I worked from home for years in a previous multinational company.
    They were ok with me living anywhere in the world and still get my usual salary.
    Was considering Namibia for the longest time.
    In the end I didn't move as I am happy where I am.

Since I have family now I can't go so you have to adventure for both of us Zascar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's tax implications your company may not want to be dealing with.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Perhaps I should have said. I do not live in Ireland, I live in them middle east where there is no tax, so no issue there. The other things is I've just been made redundant. Since it's so incredibly expensive here I'm considering moving to somewhere else where my rundundancy package would last me longer... Anyway all that aside, if you could, where would you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

I'd go for Spain, lovely winter climate and the language is relatively easy to learn, plus rents are much cheaper than Ireland as is cost of living. Malaga, Tenerife or Mallorca all appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Why not teach English and be a bum for a year or two? I know loads of people who do that in Asia and their life is extremely laid back. You could live in a small place in Thailand, earn a decent salary, and spend most of your free time on the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been to Singapore a few times and liked it.
    I'd work there but not move permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Currently saving to buy an apartment in the Canaries to do just this. Plan is to spend the kids summer holidays there so they pick up the language and well..summer is summer there !
    The odd winter break sounds nice too, when the kids are older we may spend the winter there instead.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Everyone seems to be coming at this half arsed.

Buy a boat OP sell all your possessions and travel the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Yes, I run my own online business and recently moved to Spain for a few months where I can do the same thing from the comfort of my apartment, and live a cheap and better laid back Spanish lifestyle in the sun! 50 metres from the beach, a few pools in a nice residential complex with loads of cheap bars and restaraunts within a stones throw.

I know it's different as you work for someone but surely it can be done if you're not back in the office for ages!

Best thing I've ever done. Happy out, working from down by the pool somedays.

for context, I came to Benalmadena in Malaga.

Brought my laptop, have free Wifi in my apartment, have a lovely sea view aswell.

Everything is much more cheap and the main reason I actually moved was because of the weather and the price of things. Like, I can go out and have a coffee and breakfast in the sun for €3/€4.

Also, there aren't many Irish or UK tourists this year, plenty of Spanish and French tourists so my Spanish is getting alot better and I am enjoying immersing myself into the culture and speaking Spanish even when I don't need to.

My day now consists of working in the apartment, or down by the pool, and heading out for some tapas or a menu del dia €9 for 3 courses in the evening. There is a local supermarket next door where wine is €1.50 for a bottle and plenty of delicious fresh fruit and veg :).

I hope you stopped your social welfare payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Zascar wrote: »
    Since so many are working full time from home, and some of the big companies have said it's going to continue into 2021, perhaps further, has anyone considered temporarily moving to another country?

It's always been a crazy dream of mine to earn a good salary but live on a beach in Thailand or similar and live for peanuts. Unfortunately many are closed down at the moment due to covid, and it might be a bit far away, perhaps there are other interesting and ckeap places to live in and explore to get away from things for a while.

Philippines, Hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Supercell wrote: »
    Currently saving to buy an apartment in the Canaries to do just this. Plan is to spend the kids summer holidays there so they pick up the language and well..summer is summer there !
    The odd winter break sounds nice too, when the kids are older we may spend the winter there instead.

Do you really want them coming back from the Canaries with a Cork accent :D
    And winter is pretty much summer there too.
    Would probably be my WFH location of choice also, if I could settle on which one.

Lanzarote for the vino & dramatic scenery.
    East coast Fuerte for the beaches.
    South west of Gran Can for seafood ( & best sunshine record of the Isles )
    North west of Tenerife for hillwalking & the cliffs of moher experience.
    La Gomera for great cycling.
    La Graciosa for ....silence.
    Haven't made the last 2 yet but they're on the bucket list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I hope you stopped your social welfare payment.

Haha. Was on JB since February. Received my last payment and a letter to say my stamps have ran out. good timing :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have an apartment in Spain and worked from there approx 160 days a year to keep the tax man happy when my kids were smaller (pre school). Now they are at school it is not working out the way I expected and the apartment is just let out now. We don't even use use it for summer holidays now as there is no way my kids would want to stay away from their friends for the whole summer and prefer a family holiday for a couple of weeks and a number of camps with their friends.

The pitfalls I had were:
    Decide where you want to be a tax resident and more importantly where your social stamps are paid. I met people in Spain from UK & Ireland who didnt have enough stamps for some benefits when they retired.

Even when working from home you will need to attend a customer site, training, company off site at some point. Work out with the employer how expenses will work. In my case I could only book flights from and too Ireland. I had to pay the return trip to Spain myself.

Some areas of the continent have terrible broadband, Spanish broadband is terrible for example. Lots of service interruptions and poor infrastructure in places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

seannash wrote: »
    Philippines, Hands down

Ever tried to get a visa to work there?

Or investigated the social welfare bilateral? (Needed for pension credit when you get old).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Gibraltar could be a good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Yes, I run my own online business and recently moved to Spain for a few months where I can do the same thing from the comfort of my apartment, and live a cheap and better laid back Spanish lifestyle in the sun! 50 metres from the beach, a few pools in a nice residential complex with loads of cheap bars and restaraunts within a stones throw.

I know it's different as you work for someone but surely it can be done if you're not back in the office for ages!

Best thing I've ever done. Happy out, working from down by the pool somedays.

for context, I came to Benalmadena in Malaga.

Brought my laptop, have free Wifi in my apartment, have a lovely sea view aswell.

Everything is much more cheap and the main reason I actually moved was because of the weather and the price of things. Like, I can go out and have a coffee and breakfast in the sun for €3/€4.

Also, there aren't many Irish or UK tourists this year, plenty of Spanish and French tourists so my Spanish is getting alot better and I am enjoying immersing myself into the culture and speaking Spanish even when I don't need to.

My day now consists of working in the apartment, or down by the pool, and heading out for some tapas or a menu del dia €9 for 3 courses in the evening. There is a local supermarket next door where wine is €1.50 for a bottle and plenty of delicious fresh fruit and veg :).

A post from 15 hours ago about dole payments:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114232004&postcount=28
    I literally just sent my form into the intreo centre to have my post office payment changed to my bank account.

I am on JB. Just got it lodged into my bank account there tonight.

So I guess they aren't stopping it? Or will the next payment be in post office?

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 forgetfulme

Hi All,

I am WFH for civil service on a temporary contract (2 years) with 4 months left on my contract. Considering returning to my previous home for Christmas and just staying there and finishing out my contract? Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Advertisement