Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Kutebride

I was about to post about the 17.30 BE Express on Tuesday evening.

I got a private coach from nassau street.
    Departed at 17.10.
    Arrived at the Ardboyne at 18.23. It goes the Cabra Route.

As I was leaving the Ardboyne in my car the 17.30 BE 109 Express pulled up at 18.30. I expected it went via the port tunnel to be there at that hour.

So is the express going through the port tunnell above board or depending on the driver chancing it?

The private coach seems to do as well as no detours to Blanch, Clonee etc and handy for me on nassau street as near my work. Still may need to use BE from time to time as private coach only has very few services.

Left navan at 07.35 this morning. At Trinity at 08.40.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

lxflyer wrote: »
    Actually the route is material - the NTA specifically approve what route each departure on a route must take - deviating from that could (in certain circumstances where there is competition) be deemed unfair practice.

Hence BE had to apply to the NTA for the 17:30 109 express service to operate via the Port Tunnel.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    The way it is looking the same bus tomorrow could take 2hours after stopping in blanchardstown and roselawn shopping centres to pick up shoppers.

Foggy Lad did you bother reading the rest of the thread? The 1730 is authorised by the NTA to use the tunnel, so why do you think that it won't use it and be delayed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Foggy Lad did you bother reading the rest of the thread? The 1730 is authorised by the NTA to use the tunnel, so why do you think that it won't use it and be delayed?
    From the thread people seem to be unaware of which services are going to use the port tunnel and many services that should be express are stopping at blanchardstown it seems just in case there might be someone there waiting on a bus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Kutebride wrote: »
    I was about to post about the 17.30 BE Express on Tuesday evening.

I got a private coach from nassau street.
    Departed at 17.10.
    Arrived at the Ardboyne at 18.23. It goes the Cabra Route.

As I was leaving the Ardboyne in my car the 17.30 BE 109 Express pulled up at 18.30. I expected it went via the port tunnel to be there at that hour.

So is the express going through the port tunnell above board or depending on the driver chancing it?

The private coach seems to do as well as no detours to Blanch, Clonee etc and handy for me on nassau street as near my work. Still may need to use BE from time to time as private coach only has very few services.

Left navan at 07.35 this morning. At Trinity at 08.40.:)

Which private operator is this?

One of the 1730 departures from Busaras goes via the port tunnel and is fully licensed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Which private operator is this?

One of the 1730 departures from Busaras goes via the port tunnel and is fully licensed to do so.

Yep, that was the 5.30 that was licenced to go through port tunnel, Navan in an hour hence you saw it at 6.30 Kutebride

Was just having a quick look at the timetable there,( I think there is general consensus that the DPT is on the whole a much quicker way out of town than the Cabra route.) At a glance there are circa 54 109s leaving Dublin every day, and the harsh statistic is that one, (i.e the 5.30 Navan bus) is licenced to use the Port Tunnel! (and circa 11 use the M3)

Probably not as big an issue at non peak time, but between 4-7 its unforgivable really.

• Advertisement

Private Coach - Sillan Coaches
    Service starts in Cootehill, Cavan with a number of stops until Dshaughlin to Dublin.

was on the 7.05 this morning, again a great service that is getting into Stephens Green at the moment for 8.05 - 8.10, couldnt sleep so in my boredom, I kept an eye at the numbers getting off at different stops. I have long argued that the numbers using the r109 service outside of the bus aras are tiny having observed this time and time again on the bus out through Cabra, so thought it would be interesting to see who gets off where in the morning (on the premise that its near their place of work and thats where they would be looking to get the bus home from). The stats were roughly as follows

Blanch 1
    Cabra 1
    Mater 4
    O Connell Street 20
    Trinity 10
    Kildare Street 1
    Stephens Green 15

52 commuters if my maths are right, a strong indication me thinks that 89% of people on that bus are working city centre/southside direction and the DPT exit from town will suit the vast the majority of them this evening en route home as they will going to Bus Aras!

Not a foolproof assertion, but certainly food for thought, particularly when only one bus outbound currently avails of it

Should add on the 6.30 yesterday evening and as more usual than not, not a sinner got on after we left the busaras.

On the half six again. It's seven bells and we have just reached the halfway house. Free annual bus pass for the first person who can guess to the nearest 10 the number of people who have got on since we left bus aras !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

On the half six again. It's seven bells and we have just reached the halfway house. Free annual bus pass for the first person who can guess to the nearest 10 the number of people who have got on since we left bus aras !

I'm quite sure Bus Éireann head office will produce statistics proving the need for a Help in order to satisfy the demand from those stops !!

I say well done to the NTA for stepping up to the plate and defending the rights of the individual...:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

Try the 5.30 halfway house at almost 6.30. Only getting to dunshaughlin at 7. Due to current crazy situation there is no option of an express for dunshaughlin. Total madness

• Advertisement

tara83 wrote: »
    Try the 5.30 halfway house at almost 6.30. Only getting to dunshaughlin at 7. Due to current crazy situation there is no option of an express for dunshaughlin. Total madness

I feel your pain Tara, and I don't things are going to improve anytime soon, I emailed BE pointing out the issues with the Cabra route and suggesting they make more use of the DPT. (This was particularly in relation to the Navan 6.30 express) the below is the response I got ( well exceprt from response, i've left out all the standard BE speak they use to bulk up their responses)

"While I note your comments, I can confirm that we have no plans to operate this service via Dublin Port Tunnel. However, our services are reviewed on an ongoing basis and the points raised by you will be taken into consideration."

Actually that last sentence should have been taken out for the reason cited above!

I feel your pain Tara, and I don't things are going to improve anytime soon, I emailed BE pointing out the issues with the Cabra route and suggesting they make more use of the DPT. (This was particularly in relation to the Navan 6.30 express) the below is the response I got ( well exceprt from response, i've left out all the standard BE speak they use to bulk up their responses)

"While I note your comments, I can confirm that we have no plans to operate this service via Dublin Port Tunnel. However, our services are reviewed on an ongoing basis and the points raised by you will be taken into consideration."

Actually that last sentence should have been taken out for the reason cited above!

Is it any wonder that the company is contemplating yet another round of "Service Modifications" and associated cutbacks.

I feel quite strongly that this issue needs to be pursued to the limit.

The real issue is the wilful ignoring or misuse of a multi-billion STATE ASSET in the DP Tunnel.

The costs associated with this infrastructure are of a level which demands that ALL State Agencies connected with it be Instructed to maximize its usage in their daily operations.

For Bus Eireann and Dublin Bus,this is non-negotiable and any section of their managements not pursuing the issue are in effect acting against their copmpany's best interests and therefore open to allegations of incompetence or worse.

I would also recommend writing (pen and ink) to the individual members of the Bus Eireann board,as well as the chairperson of the CIE group.

http://www.cie.ie/about_us/board_members.asp

I would address a simple concise summation of the issues raised in this thread to Ms Jupp as CIE Chairperson.

I'd cc this to the Bus Eireann board Chairperson and company secretary....
    Board Members

Mr. Paul Mallee (Chairperson)
    Mr. Bill McCamley
    Mr. John Moloney
    Mr. John Griffin
    Ms. Susan Donohoe
    Mr Tom Hussey
    Mr Micheál Ó Faoláin
    Mr Henry Minogue
    Kieran Fay

There is an absolute cut and dried business case to be made here and one of immense benefit to both customers,staff and company....It simply requires effective management.

If all else failed I'd be setting my sights on The Troika !!!

Does anybody think a Mainstream EU City would tolerate its main urban cummuter bus service provider simply pretending the Port Tunnel does'nt exist ????...:mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,917 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

People seem to be forgetting that the closure of Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park is one of the main causes of the delays to traffic on the Navan Road.

Some good news that should improve things is that some of the traffic restrictions in the Phoenix Park are being lifted.

The statement below from the OPW also indicates that the final works are imminent. Their completion should certainly improve the traffic situation on the Navan Road somewhat.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,17819,en.html
    REPAIR WORKS TO CHESTERFIELD AVENUE

We would like to thank the public for their co-operation during these essential road repairs.

As the final stages of these works are imminent, a further relaxation in the traffic arrangements is possible.

The principal change is the re-opening of the stretch of road from the Gough Roundabout to the Phoenix Roundabout.

The following summarises these road and gate arrangements:

Roads:

* The Acres Road has reverted to original 2-way traffic status;

* The Ordnance Survey Road has reverted to original 2-way traffic status;
    •The Back Road and the North Road are again both 2-way i.e. from Knockmaroon Gate to North Circular Road Gate.

Gates:
    •Both Ashtown Gate and Cabra Gate have reverted to 2-way traffic.

Please exercise caution while travelling through the Phoenix Park and observe directional signage, etc.

The inconvenience caused while these works are underway is regretted and we would like to thank the public for their co-operation during these essential road repairs.

29th February 2012

[

Actually that last sentence should have been taken out for the reason cited above![/QUOTE]

I get the same reply everytime as well. Only keep emailing so at least there is a record of compliants

People seem to be forgetting that the closure of Chesterfield Avenue in the Phoenix Park is one of the main causes of the delays to traffic on the Navan Road.

Some good news that should improve things is that some of the traffic restrictions in the Phoenix Park are being lifted.

The statement below from the OPW also indicates that the final works are imminent. Their completion should certainly improve the traffic situation on the Navan Road somewhat.

http://www.phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,17819,en.html

The building works at the Mater is also having a large impact. The bus lane has been removed during the construction and I don't see this changing any time soon. To get from the Big Tree to St Peters can take 45mins at the moment.

Yes TARA83 the roadworks at Mater are a disgrace.
    There must be some way they can take back in the cones etc for the rush hour.

I was on the 7pm last night. I was on the phone, looked up and there was blanch shopping center FFS. Granted we picked up a person going down the ramp but the bus shouldnt have to go right into the shopping centre?! Small roundabouts to negotiate, speed to obey etc slowing down the journey.

tara83 wrote: »
    [

I get the same reply everytime as well. Only keep emailing so at least there is a record of compliants

Oddly enough I dont accept these as "Complaints"...In reality they are attempts by Bus Eireann's own customers to continue their patronage of the company.

What will happen if BE Management do not get-real is these customers will seek out and avail of alternative service providers who are prepared to recognize the vast potential of the DPAT to improve the lives of literally thousands per day.

The Greater Good-The Common Good,a principle which,if recognized,will be good for all concerned !

On the 6.30. 30 or so on the bus. Picked up one geezer at the first mater stop and one at the blanch ramp (which we could Have done if we used dpt anyway) Have stopped at matter stop no 2, st peters church and Ashtown for people to ask if we are going via dunsaughlin cos there is no m3 or "express " signage on the front of the bus. I think the driver started doubting where he was going himself , walked down the entire bus there prior to coming on to the motorway to ensure that nobody wanted to go dunslaughlin

On the 6.30. 30 or so on the bus. Picked up one geezer at the first mater stop and one at the blanch ramp (which we could Have done if we used dpt anyway) Have stopped at matter stop no 2, st peters church and Ashtown for people to ask if we are going via dunsaughlin cos there is no m3 or "express " signage on the front of the bus. I think the driver started doubting where he was going himself , walked down the entire bus there prior to coming on to the motorway to ensure that nobody wanted to go dunslaughlin
    It's like something out of "On The Buses"

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It's like something out of "On The Buses"

Wasn't the drivers fault in fairness, he was a polite and helpful fella and got us into Navan in circa 1 hour 10, my gripe lies with the fact that there is an alternative underutilised route available which cost the state €750million, one of 54 109s use it, the one bloke at the matter could have got the other 109 which was running straight behind us and serving Navan, and the end result is that 29 of the 30 passengers probabaly could have had their journey time cut by 25-30% if BE were arsed looking at the statistics!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Geog1234

From experience there is a valid fear of missing the bus one wants when two come along together. It's not unknown for the following bus to overtake the first (the driver assuming the first one suits everyone). Throw in one or more of the following variables and catching a bus at a stop on the way out of the city is potentially fraught with difficulties: a Dublin Bus vehicle or two, incorrect or lacking destination displays, weather conditions, the varying speeds of approaching vehicles, varying degrees of alertness of intending passengers to signal etc... etc...

The few that get on/off here/there along the route in the suburbs are no different in wanting to get from A to B with the minimum hassle.

Situations such as the driver coming down the bus to check if anyone wanted Dunshaughlin are putting any potential passengers requesting the location at the understandable but clearly unfair risk of being resented by other passengers.

The focus needs to remain squarely on the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Geog1234 speaks quite rightly of the fear of missing the bus one wants when two come along together.

Surely this problem would be alleviated if the buses didn't share the same number whilst going different routes to different destinations. For example, at 17.30 there are three 109s leaving Busaraus - one to Cavan without stopping in Navan, one express to Navan (port tunnel and not via Johnstown) and one "slow" bus to Navan via Johnston.

Why not give these buses different labels? The 109A is the airport, are B and C out of the question? I've previously emailed this to Bus Eireann to receive a stock say-nothing answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

To add to my previous post - the 17.30 express to Navan via the port tunnel was not displaying a number today. It also wasn't on the electronic board, and was parked between bays.

You'd be very confused if you didn't know that it existed (my personal thanks to posters on this thread for setting me right). Amateur-hour in terms of administration at this company :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Surely this problem would be alleviated if the buses didn't share the same number whilst going different routes to different destinations. For example, at 17.30 there are three 109s leaving Busaraus - one to Cavan without stopping in Navan, one express to Navan (port tunnel and not via Johnstown) and one "slow" bus to Navan via Johnston.

Why not give these buses different labels? The 109A is the airport, are B and C out of the question? I've previously emailed this to Bus Eireann to receive a stock say-nothing answer.
    Have to agree, but it would still have to be simple to understand
    (as opposed to something like the galway city timetables which in the past were an alphabet soup with all the variations!)

something like a 109X is all thats needed.

Keep the 109 as the normal service that calls at all every stop and goes via cabra road. It could run once or twice an hour peak and off peak.

have a peak time 109X that uses the port tunnel and whose purpose is to get commuters quickly to and from the urban centres of Navan/ Kells and beyond. If it goes to Cavan or Kells dont change the number and have loads of variations, just change the destination that it goes farther

By rights a few extra expressway number 30's to cater for passengers for Virginia and beyond also wouldnt go amiss (like Ulsterbus do with allocation of goldliner branded services on longer limited stop runs) but no need to confuse matters with a raft of new numbers over whats already there.

Couple of points

Firstly, agreed wholeheartedly that somekind of permanent indication on these buses are needed, its not even a lack of "express" or "via M3" on them. Its the inconsistency. the bus I got this morning, was very clearly labelled, however the bus I referred to above, just said "R109 Navan" hence people stopping asking if was going through Dunslaughlin etc..

On this are there up to date r109 timetables on display at the stops en route out of town?

Re the board in the busaras and the 5.30 express, it has never been on it as far as i am aware, and if you aren't a frequent user of the 5.30 express service, you are in trouble, if you are relying solely on the departures board in the Bus Aras. (same goes with the 6.30 express)

Lastly, re the comment re

"The few that get on/off here/there along the route in the suburbs are no different in wanting to get from A to B with the minimum hassle - The focus needs to remain squarely on the company."

While I appreciate that is the case, therein lies the problem to an extent, BE by running the Cabra route on 53/54 daily services are doing exactly that, benefitting the few at the cost of vast majority, in a lot of cases, and most definitely at peak hours.

I've given the 6.30 express as a prime example where I have never seen more than 5 people get on en route out of town.

The reality of the situation is that if Bus Eireann, keeps trying to appease the minority at the expense of the majority (as alluded to by muchkin utd- the very large numbers living in urban areas who need to get into and out of city Centre as quickly and efficiently as possible during peak hours), there are no winners, save for the aforementioned "few".

As long as BE keep hiding behind the public service argument or licensing issues re DPT etc.. in my opinion 8/9 out of 10 people using the service on a daily basis will continue to be denied what has the potential to be a truly excellent service.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Hopefully, the LEAP system will facilitate a lot of these issues. As I think has already been suggested, make the 109X a service from Busaras, DPT, first stop park & ride at Clonee. with interchange there for the local route into Dunshaughlin, (and other routes) and that allows people to use any service to Clonee, DB or BE, or IE from one of the intermediate stations. 109X from Clonee direct to Navan.

I would even go as far as to suggest that the 109 could also run via DPT to and from Clonee, the 105 can well cover the local requirement to and from Phibsboro, Ashtown & Blanch Shopping centre. Another option would be to completely review the 103, 105 & 109 and have a number of each that are limited stop, via DPT, and then onwards.

Another issue would be to have tie in services to places like Tallaght and Sandyford from Clonee, so that it serves as an out of town hub for people that are not interested in going to to the city centre, as they need to be getting to places on the southside. Equally, there's very little in the way of services to the North West business park, and Clonee could become a very significant feeder to many routes if it was properly planned and coordinated.

Ooops. sorry, properly planned and coordinated by IE,BE & DB. You'd never believe they were all part of the one company would you. Silly me, to expect that they might actually cooperate to make travelling easier for their users. It was a nice dream while it lasted.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Another issue would be to have tie in services to places like Tallaght and Sandyford from Clonee, so that it serves as an out of town hub for people that are not interested in going to to the city centre, as they need to be getting to places on the southside. Equally, there's very little in the way of services to the North West business park, and Clonee could become a very significant feeder to many routes if it was properly planned and coordinated.

Ooops. sorry, properly planned and coordinated by IE,BE & DB. You'd never believe they were all part of the one company would you. Silly me, to expect that they might actually cooperate to make travelling easier for their users. It was a nice dream while it lasted.

It's worth noting that the responsibility for this Planning and Co-Ordination now rests with The National Transport Authority,who DO have substantial powers to act in this regard.

Same sh:t different day. On 6:30 22 of us on bus. 21 got on in the bus aras and 1 at the first matter stop as is usual. Ah well long weekend ahead thank god, plenty of time to pen a proper letter to the powers that be! If you don't ask you don't get ( not that I hold out much hope !)

On the first non express bus I've been on in ages. Great to see the blanch slip road and sheaf of wheat stops again ! Reassuring to know there is still not a sinner using them !

• Advertisement

On the first non express bus I've been on in ages. Great to see the blanch slip road and sheaf of wheat stops again ! Reassuring to know there is still not a sinner using them !

Hmmmm, Bus Eireann will probably produce statistics to show a strong business in Day-Old pullets and Bushels of Straw from both locations,both aspects which would be totally eradicated by the new-fangled Tunnel.....:eek:

Heart breaking stuff tonight. In a convoy of 3 109s crawling out through cabra . Was looking at the time table there and every fu€€in one of them is scheduled to stop in Navan yet not one of them uses the dpt to get quickly out of town .there is well in excess of thirty on this bus and we've picked up two so far en route out. am I loosing my fragile little mind or does logic not dictate that they could have got the Cavan bus that stops in Navan and goes the m3 or the kells bus that runs the old road if they need to get off anywhere on the route before the kilcarne stop? Too whacked at this stage of proceedings to work out the permutations but I can't see at a glance how anybody whatsoever would have been disadvantaged had this bus went via DPT this evening and every evening but it would mean quicker journey times for those living in the most populated urban centre along the route

Couldn't agree more. Any suggestions who to contact/pester. Bus eireann are a lost cause

Missed opportunity there. Driver of the 6.30 express in true BE fashion is after asking passengers if they can tell him what route he should be taking should he be going up around johnstown etc. Unfortunately before I could let him know he should be Heading straight through the dpt and then down the m3 somebody else has put him straight !

This route is getting worse . Despite the works been completed in the park this Cabra route is as bad as ever in the evenings. Half an hour on the bus and we haven't reached st peters church.

Was on the six yesterday evening and it was an hour twenty plus journey into Navan

I missed the number 30 yesterday by seconds but managed to get the normal six bus to Kells. About 13 or so got off in Navan and I was thinking could you not have got the no 30 that uses dpt and more of the m3 . That could be the key me thinks start flooding that six o clock expressway bus and BE mightn't be long realising more expresses are wanted and needed on the 109 route

In my view many are unaware of the 30 service as the 30 timings are not shown in the 109 timetable (and vice versa).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

I missed the number 30 yesterday by seconds but managed to get the normal six bus to Kells. About 13 or so got off in Navan and I was thinking could you not have got the no 30 that uses dpt and more of the m3 . That could be the key me thinks start flooding that six o clock expressway bus and BE mightn't be long realising more expresses are wanted and needed on the 109 route

are you just going to Kells? the 30's first stop is Virginia and even in the old days they would not let kells people on the bus

Unlike the rest of the route 30 journeys throughout the day (non-stop Airport to Virginia) the 18.00 route 30 departure ex Busáras is different in that it serves Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells as well as the usual stops from Virginia northwards.

Yep that is correct. Wasn't aware of it myself till it was pointed out here some months back and I have seen some familiar faces from the bus stops in Navan in the morning boarding it in the evening

Was in bus aras for six on Friday and decided to try it.. Was very specific in what I asked the driver ie " hi I am correct in saying this bus is scheduled to serve Navan ? He wasn't impressed but had to concede it did

So off we went off via the dpt and took the m3 as far as dunslaughlin hour and five to Navan which beats the hour and twenty eight it took this evening via Cabra !

Does anyone know if the port tunnell is always used by the 30 ? As per the time table there is no mention of it

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

its the 6 bus to Swanlinbar, yes it does go the PT and the M3 however u have to go over early as it fills up quick.

shannon82 wrote: »
    its the 6 bus to Swanlinbar, yes it does go the PT and the M3 however u have to go over early as it fills up quick.
    Reckon it's gonna be my bus of choice going forward , this 6.30 "express" is turning into a joke . 50 minutes to get to blanch this evening and one person picked up outside of bus aras. I reckon the 30 using the dpt and at least some of the m3 is a faster option than crawling up the Ncr every evening

• Advertisement

Goin through blanchardstown SC as I type. I am on the 8.30pm 109 that left bus aras - like what we doing going via here. We just picked up passenger on slip road-but why detour through shopping CRT.
    I normally on sillan private coach but as was meeting a friend after work had to get BE back to Navan.

Kutebride wrote: »
    Goin through blanchardstown SC as I type. I am on the 8.30pm 109 that left bus aras - like what we doing going via here. We just picked up passenger on slip road-but why detour through shopping CRT.
    I normally on sillan private coach but as was meeting a friend after work had to get BE back to Navan.
    The dublin bus 37/39 would have been a lot faster!

Certain off-peak route 109 journeys such as the 20.30 Dublin-Cavan are scheduled to serve the stops at both Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and Blanchardstown Slip Road.

There are quite a number of people on the 109 route north of Kells (i.e. Carnaross/Virginia/Cavan itself) who travel to/from the Blanchardstown Centre/immediate area regularly. Observation would suggest there's also a fair number from the Kells/Navan/Dunshaughlin part of the route. But people may not follow the same pattern day in day out so it's probably inevitable that out of numerous journeys serving the centre a couple won't have anyone to pick-up.

Buses heading into the city are no longer permitted to drop off on the hard shoulder beside the Blanchardstown slip road.

and the bus before that; 8pm departture also goes via Blanchardstown Shopping Ctr aswell.

Buses heading into the city are no longer permitted to drop off on the hard shoulder beside the Blanchardstown slip road.[/QUOTE]

I'm half asleep most mornings but the one or two trips that I've been awake for this week, the 109 has stopped at the "stop" in question

Where did you get the above info from

Tks

109 timetable PDF on Bus Éireann website plus printed hard copy timetable pamphlet mentions the correct stops at Blanchardstown - the Dublin Bus stop at the top of the slip road (by implication if the bus is operating to its proper route and dropping at the Dublin Bus stop it can't also drop on the hard shoulder).

As the 109 is drop off only beyond the Sheaf of Wheat if there is no passenger/s wishing to alight the bus does not need to go up the slip road.

Geog1234 wrote: »
    109 timetable PDF on Bus Éireann website plus printed hard copy timetable pamphlet mentions the correct stops at Blanchardstown - the Dublin Bus stop at the top of the slip road (by implication if the bus is operating to its proper route and dropping at the Dublin Bus stop it can't also drop on the hard shoulder).

As the 109 is drop off only beyond the Sheaf of Wheat if there is no passenger/s wishing to alight the bus does not need to go up the slip road.

Thanks for this Geog1234, was on an R109 this morning and it pulled in at the side of the dual carriageway at the bottom of the Blanch Slip road as normal, so I was having a look at the timetable there for the inbound buses.

Seems to me that the only reference to the Blanch Slip road inbound to city centre on the timetable is for Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. (Where both Blanch Slip Road and Blanch S.C are mentioned)

The timetable Monday to Friday mentions the Blanch S.C stop only, there in no mention anywhere of the Blanch slip road stop.

And I know it does stop "unofficially on a lot of the services at the bottom of the slip road and lets people out Monday to Friday".

But from my reading of it, if BE decide to enforce the practice amongst drivers of not pulling in along the motorway, it's going to cause hassle because as things stand, Monday to Friday, there is no Blanch Slip road stop scheduled en route into town, if they start flying past it that going to cause hassle for the one or two that use it, if they change the timetable and insist the 109 goes up the inbound Blanch slip road, that's going to cause a world of pain for all but the one or two passengers who don’t alight at that stop.

If memory serves me correctly, they did this for a week or so at one stage prior to xmas to let one individual off, and people were complaining on here that on bad morning it was adding 7-10 minutes to their journey when traffic was heavy.

In any event, it looks to me that as the timetable stands Monday to Friday, the 9.15 from Kells is the first inbound bus scheduled to stop in Blanch in any shape or form.

Thanks for this Geog1234, was on an R109 this morning and it pulled in at the side of the dual carriageway at the bottom of the Blanch Slip road as normal, so I was having a look at the timetable there for the inbound buses.

Seems to me that the only reference to the Blanch Slip road inbound to city centre on the timetable is for Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. (Where both Blanch Slip Road and Blanch S.C are mentioned)

The timetable Monday to Friday mentions the Blanch S.C stop only, there in no mention anywhere of the Blanch slip road stop.

And I know it does stop "unofficially on a lot of the services at the bottom of the slip road and lets people out Monday to Friday".

But from my reading of it, if BE decide to enforce the practice amongst drivers of not pulling in along the motorway, it's going to cause hassle because as things stand, Monday to Friday, there is no Blanch Slip road stop scheduled en route into town, if they start flying past it that going to cause hassle for the one or two that use it, if they change the timetable and insist the 109 goes up the inbound Blanch slip road, that's going to cause a world of pain for all but the one or two passengers who don’t alight at that stop.

If memory serves me correctly, they did this for a week or so at one stage prior to xmas to let one individual off, and people were complaining on here that on bad morning it was adding 7-10 minutes to their journey when traffic was heavy.

In any event, it looks to me that as the timetable stands Monday to Friday, the 9.15 from Kells is the first inbound bus scheduled to stop in Blanch in any shape or form.
    at the bottom of the page for Monday-Friday it states clearly
    All services set−down at Blanchardstown (Slip Road), St Peter’s Church, Mater Hospital & O’Connell St.
    combine this with the fact that the SC stop is DROP OFF only this should mean that buses without passengers for either stop should be able to bypass both stops as they are not allowed take on passengers at these points.

Having seen many Bus Éireann timetables over the years the exact placing of text boxes of footnotes within a timetable is normally intended to apply to the whole service on all of the days that it operates (daily in the 109's case).

Ideally the Blanchardstown Bypass should have been constructed with a proper bus bay at this location.

Certainly, no need to go up the slip road if there's nobody for either stop.

Geog1234 wrote: »

Ideally the Blanchardstown Bypass should have been constructed with a proper bus bay at this location.

WHAT...?...Wash your mouth out with carbolic...:eek:...next thing you'll be demanding that we recruit consultants to design this sorta thing....OH,wait..ooop's...sorry we DID !!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement