Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s justice system - why is it such a joke?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Reform in Norway has to be proven. Your sentence could be extended if you are not reformed.

How would that work in Ireland?

What do you mean how would that work in Ireland?

Much the same I would imagine except for the fact I don't think it, or anything like it, has ever been tried?

Seems like the default setting here is to automatically knock 25% off the sentence to start with, does that ever get changed for bad behaviour or not engaging with prison services?

How about we start there?

(Maybe Omackeral will come along and tell us)

judestynes wrote: »
    The US model is the last thing we need. Prison for profit with no attempt to rehabiltate inmates. The just keeps the gravy train rolling.

I more meant less bull**** taking. Absolutely criminals need some rehabilitation but they won’t receive that by being let of the hook 100+ times in a row before finally being sent to prison. Like if my house was burglarised and I found out the culprit had 30, 40, 50+ previous convictions I’d be absolutely livid. Why are they still on the streets allowed to do things like that? They should be behind prison walls after the first conviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

wexie wrote: »
    What do you mean how would that work in Ireland?

Much the same I would imagine except for the fact I don't think it, or anything like it, has ever been tried?

Seems like the default setting here is to automatically knock 25% off the sentence to start with, does that ever get changed for bad behaviour or not engaging with prison services?

How about we start there?

(Maybe Omackeral will come along and tell us)

My point. Knocking off should mean that people are out on license and should be jailed if in contravention of any law. Never see that.

In Norway what I’m reading is that your sentence can be longer than the original judge mandated sentence if you are deemed unreformed. How they work that out I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Why are they still on the streets allowed to do things like that? They should be behind prison walls after the first conviction.

A lot of times people are sent to prison for offences like burglary. But it carries a short sentence. They wont throw away the key for a burglary offence. So once they get out what do you suggest then? Or while they are in there how do you think we should approach reintroducing them into society?

My point. Knocking off should mean that people are out on license and should be jailed if in contravention of any law. Never see that.

In Norway what I’m reading is that your sentence can be longer than the original judge mandated sentence if you are deemed unreformed. How they work that out I don’t know.

Maybe if its your 39th conviction they can tell you are not reformed and then add on as they see fit?

• Advertisement

Social workers, psychologists, prison staff, record of actually having engaged with courses and therapies I'd guess.

I can make heads nor tails of it here, seems committing a new crime while serving a suspended sentence makes no difference whatsoever, or at worst they now get to serve both sentences 'concurrently'....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I personally want something that works and if it was harsh sentences I would be for it but it doesn't work. This is known

The death penalty generally works very well (except when they mess up on the doses of lethal injection but it still gets the job done)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

neris wrote: »
    The death penalty generally works very well (except when they mess up on the doses of lethal injection but it still gets the job done)

The death penalty works terribly. It doesn't prevent crime and people have a death sentence have to be kept separate from the rest of the prison at huge expense.
    People on the run have killed more people while trying to escape because the can't be killed twice.

Can't see it working for petty crime either

neris wrote: »

Yes!!!

There we have the solution, lets just execute everybody for their 20th conviction.
    That will definitely make society a better place and it definitely won't mean people will get more and more desperate because they literally have nothing left to loose.

We're onto a winner here folks.

The worst areas are the most heavily invested in. It has been tried, it hasn't worked. Ballymun, Moyross, Darndale, Jobstown etc are still overrun with feral teenagers. They have a million "things to do" out there, more than any other areas in the country. And the educational opportunities are abused to keep the Judges happy.

In my area we have a course where all the scrotes in the greater area do this ridiculous football course when they get in trouble with the law. They play football all day and interact with the other local scrotes. It's like the Catalina Wine Mixer for Scrotes.

Can't speak for the places in Dublin, but Moyross is actually improving. It's a continual struggle though. There are far more people staying in education in impoverished parts of Limerick than there would have been 20 years ago, but because it's coming from such a low base it will take a generation or more to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Honestly, when chaps can cut about robbing and taking drugs left and right without ever seeing the inside of a cell bar a few hours down at the Garda barracks, why bother behaving yourself? And even if you DO manage to land in prison, you’ve got televisions and games consoles to play. “Anti suicide devices”. Is there any other country that is as soft on convicts as Ireland is?

Margaret cash - 39 convictions no prison time served to date for example

I’ve read articles of young lads in court with a hundred or more previous CONVICTIONS not just crimes committed & they get a suspended sentence or told to behave themselves and away with you. Are we afraid to put people in prison?

Because our justice system [Gardai, Courts,etc] have been highjacked by activists that want to put feeling above our laws.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Because our justice system [Gardai, Courts,etc]

I wish people would stop calling it that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

We don't have enough prison, the court system would need to be reformed we would need more Garda, a lot of crime is committed by people with chaotic lives and or mental health issues domestic violence etc, but mostly society does not seem to be sure what prison is supposed to do punish or reform be a deterrent?

There was a case in the paper yesterday of a 14-year-old caught robbing a house while his mother was outside as lookout maybe it the mother who should be in jail in that case?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I know people from all walks of life and upbringing...

If you're a scumbag there's no compromise...

Nothing to do with social status.

What they do in Southill in spade's they do in Dublin 4 in diamonds...

Once you're a scumbag you're a scumbag.

nthclare wrote: »
    I know people from all walks of life and upbringing...

If you're a scumbag there's no compromise...

Nothing to do with social status.

What they do in Southill in spade's they do in Dublin 4 in diamonds...

Once you're a scumbag you're a scumbag.

What a load of s**t.

Advertisement