Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Ocean. It's a bit good isn't it?

Options
  • 19-02-2015 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Chucked on a set of headphones (for the full D.U.A.L. experience :cool:) last night and fired up the Dejap translation of Star Ocean for a quick 5 minute blast, see if it's any use.

1 hour 10 minutes later... :rolleyes:

What a great game! The Dejap translation is something else though. I remember when that project was first started about 12-15 years ago. I recall before it was even attempted, many folks said it couldn't be done, though techniques were developed since which made it possible. Even down to the dubbing of the voices. It's a quality game!

Discuss. Minus spoilers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a decent RPG. It's great at first but it grates after a while and then you realise all the sci fi elements aren't coming back because of that Star Trek 'first directive' nonsense. It's really just a medieval RPG with a hint of Sci-fi. Definitely one worth playing though despite me wanting it to turn into Phantasy Star at some point.

Kudos to the translation work though. The game used advanced compression and the guy that did the translation worked out the algorithm, decompressed all the graphic files and then made a rom of the game without the compression. A real feat in programming there, only matched by the Seiken Densetsu 3 translation.

Note: If you like Star Ocean be warned that Star Ocean 3 is a massive **** you to any fans of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    worth playing though despite me wanting it to turn into Phantasy Star at some point.

same thought there for me... although I have a bad habit of thinking all jrpg went downhill after the first fantasy star on SMS :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LongZ wrote: »
    same thought there for me... although I have a bad habit of thinking all jrpg went downhill after the first fantasy star on SMS :D

You should try the SNES Shin Megami Tensei games if you like Phantasy Star. It comes from Wizardry roots just like PS and not the Dragon Quest roots of stuff like Final Fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Damn, so there isn't a great deal of space ship stuff in Star Ocean? That's disappointing. Also, Dolph Lundgren (yer wan's brother) is irritating. :(

Yeah they're all usually medieval type games once you crash land :) Screw the prime directive, I want to use phasers as well as screw beautiful blue skinned alien princesses.

• Advertisement

Funny this game came up, the developer Tri-Ace was bought by a mobile developer and will be making mobile games from now on. What an end to an amazing developer. They got their start with wolf team before creating tales of phantasia then forming tri ace. They might not have made the best games but they were always interesting and really pushed what could be done with the JRPG genre. They also make the odd masterpiece with Valkyrie Profile a good shout for best RPG of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw the first one for the PS2 in CEX today for €12, is that a good price?
    Given I'll salt it away and never play the thing!

12 is a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Has to be said, through a good set of cans or speakers, that DUAL audio is mighty. Though I wouldn't rank it as my favourite RPG, or for that matter any genre game OST, it's bloody good.

Advertisement