Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Center Parcs Resort for Longford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Is there public transport to the resort from Longford Town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

No

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

messrs wrote: »

No

That's a shame, considering the train connections from Longford and Athlone. €200m+ and no guest shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Longford seems to be booming the past few years. Several major job and investment announcements. Major need for a decent hotel in and around Longford town itself in particular. It’s great to see though - “Cinderella having a ball “!

That's a shame, considering the train connections from Longford and Athlone. €200m+ and no guest shuttle.

Yea I know, its not very well connected by public transport. Train to Edgeworthstown or Longford, or even bus to Ballymahon - but then you have to figure out how to get the rest of the way.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

https://www.m4direct.ie/timetable/

It’s not great, but it’s an option.
    It really is a pity there’s not a straightforward shuttle service to the most likely trains on Friday/Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

A lot of the issues with public transport we found was that on top of the changing bus/train/taxi, it had to be done with x amount of kids and ALL of their luggage.

For us, it was the amount of luggage we had to move about and get a taxi for, was a huge issue. For some groups, for as long as there isn't direct or staggered transport at reasonable hours, getting there will be off putting.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s great to see Center Parcs having great success in its first few months up and running. And it is a massive economic boost to Longford.

I was down in Longford town a few weeks ago and it was looking so much better than just a few years back. A lot of the unsightly overhead cables on the streets are now gone and many buildings look freshly painted and new businesses open.

Longford however badly needs a new four star hotel. Also the warehouse ribbon development along the poorly surfaced N63 Roscommon Road is very unsightly and a legacy of piss poor planning and needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

The naysayers that were all over this tread for a while must be crying in their cornflakes.

Occupancy has been over 80% (ahead of target)
    Spend on food and activities substantially above forecasts.

I'd call that a success and obviously means more jobs for the area which add more spending to local businesses. win win win

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

We’re booked for June - 1 week
    Having gone to CP Longleat for the last 2 years we are looking forward to playing at home this year.
    Did I ever think I’d be holidaying in Longford? - bring it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

silver2020 wrote: »
    The naysayers that were all over this tread for a while must be crying in their cornflakes.

I'd call that a success and obviously means more jobs for the area which add more spending to local businesses. win win win

Did a long weekend there a couple of weeks ago and talked to a good few staff, they all seemed to be quite local and delighted with jobs close to home. It’s an excellent place for a break, not sure I’d do it ahead of my summer holiday but for a short break it’s fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

they actually cannot get enough people to work in the place in certain areas eg house keeping
    the contracts offered are not the best.

anyone i've talked to have been delighted with their stay there and would definitely go back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Look at their job ads

Every area except one advertised all the time.

Has to be some kip of a place.

FFVII wrote: »
    Look at their job ads

how do you deduct that?

Aldi are always advertising for staff.
    Google are always advertising for staff.

Center Parcs up until the Coronavirus closed it was trading substantially above projections especially in their restaurants.

Estimated employees has gone from 700 when initially opened to over 1000 as recently as February and according to the local paper a recruitment drive was underway to add substantially to this number for the summer season.

Sort of flies in the face of your argument. But people who have a hatred of success will always search for a negative angle

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Look at their job ads

I haven’t been to Longford - booked for June. But if it’s as good as CP Longleat (been there twice) it is a super spot for a family holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

No complaints, here for the week, recommended.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

groovie wrote: »
    No complaints, here for the week, recommended.

How are the restrictions affecting ye? I see it's 2 tropical paradise sessions per family (if staying 4 nights) for 2 hours max, and must be pre-booked. No soft play areas either.

How are the restrictions affecting ye? I see it's 2 tropical paradise sessions per family (if staying 4 nights) for 2 hours max, and must be pre-booked. No soft play areas either.

Lots of Hand sanitation one way route around village and masks required - pools are a bit crowded tho.

There is no Coca Cola here - just Pepsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭lazyman

Hi
    Thinking of booking a stay here
    Is there any where to do grocery shopping close by? I know there is a shop on site but if we needed other bits, is there a tesco aldi dunnes etc nearby i can drive to?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

lazyman wrote: »
    Hi
    Is there any where to do grocery shopping close by? I know there is a shop on site but if we needed other bits, is there a tesco aldi dunnes etc nearby i can drive to?
    Thanks

The shop on site is totally fine. You can do a shop in Athlone on the way up ( or wherever is handy) and then get anything else you need on site. It’s not exorbitant or anything and it’s very well stocked. Like a small SuperValu.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

fits wrote: »
    The shop on site is totally fine. You can do a shop in Athlone on the way up ( or wherever is handy) and then get anything else you need on site. It’s not exorbitant or anything and it’s very well stocked. Like a small SuperValu.

There is also a SuperValu and FreshToday in Ballymahon which is a 5 min drive away

That's great thank you for the replies

Just to add, bring a few bits like dish cloths and dishwasher tablets along with some tin foil. The kitchens are well stocked but a bit short of the bits you take for granted.

lazyman wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks

There is a supervalu in Ballymahon which would be about 5 minutes drive from Centreparcs also Longford Town is about half hour away and has Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl & Aldi. Will you be coming down the N4 from Dublin direction? if so there is a Lidl just before you make the turn of the N4 to head for Centreparcs

messrs wrote: »
    There is a supervalu in Ballymahon which would be about 5 minutes drive from Centreparcs also Longford Town is about half hour away and has Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl & Aldi. Will you be coming down the N4 from Dublin direction? if so there is a Lidl just before you make the turn of the N4 to head for Centreparcs

Thats great to know, coming from Limerick. I'm sure the supervalu will be good enough for what ill be looking for
    Thanks

Big expansion
    https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/center-parcs-ireland-planning85m-expansion-withnew-treehouse-lodges-40541012.html

I suspect the negative naysayers who said it would never work are keeping very very quiet.

Big expansion
    https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/center-parcs-ireland-planning85m-expansion-withnew-treehouse-lodges-40541012.html

I suspect the negative naysayers who said it would never work are keeping very very quiet.

This happens a lot in Ireland, Dublin bikes was they’ll all end up in the Liffey and it was a big success. People take their own narrow view of things and extrapolate it out. It was going very well pre Covid and I believe now it’s close to sold out for summer although not sure if they’ve reduced capacity. It’s a success because the people running it know what they are doing and what their customers want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

salmocab wrote: »
    This happens a lot in Ireland, Dublin bikes was they’ll all end up in the Liffey and it was a big success. People take their own narrow view of things and extrapolate it out. It was going very well pre Covid and I believe now it’s close to sold out for summer although not sure if they’ve reduced capacity. It’s a success because the people running it know what they are doing and what their customers want.

They've hiked prices by a grand on same trip this time last year and people are still happy to pay.

I found out why they can't keep staff in much of their departments. Its some kip... possibly even worse than lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

They've hiked prices by a grand on same trip this time last year and people are still happy to pay.

I found out why they can't keep staff in much of their departments. Its some kip... possibly even worse than lidl.

Go on then, I'd love to hear. I know 8 people who work there, and not a complaint among them.

Advertisement