Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peppa Pig World Trip/Southampton advice

Options
  • 11-04-2016 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I found this on internet and thinking about going over for trip in Summer.

http://peppapigworld.co.uk/

It is beside Southampton so was going to head over on ferry with kids and stay down there. Just wondering has anyone gone here before?

If not has anyone stayed in the area? any recommendations?

Thanks

Will be for 2 adults and 2 kids

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yep, went there a few times.
    Its really really well done. Is (as a map would tell you just as easy) not far from Southampton. Theres also a dinosaur area and a proper grownup theme park beside it too.

Southampton itsself is a bit of a kip. No, it is a kip. It wasnt re-built properly after the war so the town centre is like ballymun or finglas. Nothing against those places, but its just nothing but social housing and not pretty.

We stayed either at one of the holiday inn expresses or the Novotel which have family rooms, i.e. double bed and a convertable sofa for the kids. The Holiday inn express is good as it has breakfast in the rate, novotel though is somewhat nicer.
    Other chains to look out for are Premier Inn or Travellodge. Both these chains should have a pub/restaurant attached with fairly good deals on breakfast. If you book in advance there can be great deals (for the room, not the breakfast).

Getting about southampton is handy on the motorways so not being very near peppa pig world isnt a massive disadvantage as you'll be there quick on the motorway anyhow.

Youre also not far from Bornemouth beach which is miles of sand or Stonehenge, which is dear enough to visit, but young kids are free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks Munchkin, I have drove before and stayed in Winchester but it was for work. I just drove over to Southampton for the day and wasn't impressed.

If down that far in UK is there a good spot to stay? any recommended areas? I guess Peppa Pig World would be just a day or 2 job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,846 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

A day in pp world is plenty.
    It gets busy in the morning but a lot dissappear come 3pm so you could split the peppa area with food and a visit to some of the other rides. But more than day at a time would nearly be too much excitement for a child.
    I havnt a clue of where to tour about the very south as we did pp world as a stop between Germany, London (sister in law) and Ireland.
    For stopping off i Would actually have also said Winchester as that is a fairly nice town. North of that is lovely countryside which then leads into the Cotswolds, but that's not really something for the kids, although a quaint town with a public playground is all you need most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Winchester is a lovely town but in order to be able to afford to live there you have to work in London meaning that they go to bed very early so nightlife is non-existent except on Friday and Saturday nights. Last time I was there I was on a midweek evening FlyBe flight to Southampton and by the time the taxi dropped me off in Winchester at about 10 p.m., it was like a ghost town. I managed to find an Indian restaurant but every other bar and restaurant was closed.

Probably not a big deal for the OP with kids interested in Peppa Pig but I wouldn't stay there with teenagers.

coylemj wrote: »
    Winchester is a lovely town but in order to be able to afford to live there you have to work in London meaning that they go to bed very early so nightlife is non-existent except on Friday and Saturday nights. Last time I was there I was on a midweek evening FlyBe flight to Southampton and by the time the taxi dropped me off in Winchester at about 10 p.m., it was like a ghost town. I managed to find an Indian restaurant but every other bar and restaurant was closed.

Probably not a big deal for the OP with kids interested in Peppa Pig but I wouldn't stay there with teenagers.

Similar experience with Winchester when I was over there. In bar, I think it hit 10.30 or something really late like that and bang, lights falshed and get out. We done the Irish thing of still sitting there talking. Was quickly told to get out and get out quickly.

• Advertisement

Probably need to do some research and see what is around. Going to take a week in the area so will probably just spin around and stay a few days in different spots. Need to book the ferry first :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

HA! I did this trip last year! I spotted tickets on Adverts.ie for Legoland and someone else had tickets for Peppa Pig land.

On a recommendation, I was told about a budget chain called Innkeepers Lodge. They are like a motel stuck on the back of a pub. It was sufficient for a budget break. Two adults, two kids. It was clean and comfortable but basic. Pay cheap - get cheap. Think it was something like 39 quid each night including continental breakfast. Looking at a map, I saw Basingstoke was about half way between the two parks so booked the Innkeepers lodge there.

So. Stena line ferry at 2.30am from Dublin to Holyhead. Drove down to Legoland, was there about 11am Spent the day in Legoland and then to Basingstoke to the Lodge. Spent the night there, breakfast and then Peppapig land next morning. Spent the day there and back to the lodge. Next morning drove up to Blackpool for a few days. Then back to Holyhead and home.

So. What do you want to know? :D

So. What do you want to know? :D

Thanks, really it was to find somewhere nice after PP Land for a few days. Wife has in here mind to stay down around Southampton as better weather as it is beside France,......

Just wondering any good towns the like of Blackpool but along the coast down at southampto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I'd look to head West, towards Dorset.

If you have young kids, Swanage is nice and there are some great beaches in that area. You also have Corfe, Lulworth and Durdle door for things to see.

Towards Wareham, you have monkey world and Bovington tank museum, which is worth a visit.

South east of PP world, you have Portsmouth which is a kip, but the southsea seafront has lots to do and the historic dockyard is very interesting. There's good shopping at Gunwharf as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

If you are looking for stuff to do near by on spare days.
    The new forest is lovely. You could go to the isle of wight too.

Sometime the cruise ships in southampton go out for a day and night, like a taster trip, and you can book on to them (in advance). If you wanted that could be fun. Very cheap for one night too.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info, have a few people thinking of taking the trip as well. The drive from Holyhead down is issue. Any good towns inbetween to stop off in?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭duefrine

Looking at going to Peppa pig world for a 4 day break... 2 - adults + 1 - child Mon to Thursday.... June...

We are looking at flying into Bristol + car hire, it's working out around 215 euro return with the car....

Has anyone gone recently and we're did yous stay....

Looking for somewhere to stay on a budget that has a restaurant/pub on site.... Up to 30 - 60 minutes drive from Peppa pig world....

duefrine wrote: »
    Looking at going to Peppa pig world for a 4 day break... 2 - adults + 1 - child Mon to Thursday.... June...

We are looking at flying into Bristol + car hire, it's working out around 215 euro return with the car....

Has anyone gone recently and we're did yous stay....

Looking for somewhere to stay on a budget that has a restaurant/pub on site.... Up to 30 - 60 minutes drive from Peppa pig world....

I done a number of years ago and stayed in rockley park which was about 60 mins away....we drove from Holyhead which was just too long to do again

If staying a few days rockley might be an option or stay onsite with peppa pig

If staying a few days rockley might be an option or stay onsite with peppa pig[/quote]

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.... The accommodation that's on the Peppa pig world website ( park tickets + partner accommodation ) is a bit expensive for what we need....

Monday we will be traveling and will get stone henge in .... Tuesday and Wednesday Peppa pig world ... Thursday traveling back to Bristol to fly home......

We will be only using the accommodation for sleeping and refreshments, breakfast..... Restaurant / pub on site is a bonus....

Planning on traveling to one of the many villages / towns in the area after Peppa pig.. to get food / refreshments etc:

Probably answering my own questions here... Might try air b&b for separate accommodation.

duefrine wrote: »
    If staying a few days rockley might be an option or stay onsite with peppa pig

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.... The accommodation that's on the Peppa pig world website ( park tickets + partner accommodation ) is a bit expensive for what we need....

Monday we will be traveling and will get stone henge in .... Tuesday and Wednesday Peppa pig world ... Thursday traveling back to Bristol to fly home......

We will be only using the accommodation for sleeping and refreshments, breakfast..... Restaurant / pub on site is a bonus....

Planning on traveling to one of the many villages / towns in the area after Peppa pig.. to get food / refreshments etc:

Probably answering my own questions here... Might try air b&b for separate accommodation.[/QUOTE]

Winchester is a nice little village in that area. You will find lots of little villages dotted around. Normally with hotels. In Winchester I used to stay in a pub/restaurant that had rooms up stairs. Decent price, nice bed, so 5 star but done the job....

One thing, book before the English school holidays. We leave every year in the last week of June for the simple reasons the school are still going in UK. A week later and everything is double in price.

I would just check some of the hotel websites and see what you can find, lots of nice little B&B dotted around the countryside. Mostly not too far from motorway so easy to get around

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭corkgirl17

I went last year with my 2 kids. 4 days in Peppa pig world might be too much. We stayed in the Travelodge and a premier inn near Peppa pig world and in Eastleigh. Very cheap and clean and good pub/restaurant next door. Can't recommend them enough. if you have the car Longleat is a great day out, lots to do!!

corkgirl17 wrote: »
    I went last year with my 2 kids. 4 days in Peppa pig world might be too much. We stayed in the Travelodge and a premier inn near Peppa pig world and in Eastleigh. Very cheap and clean and good pub/restaurant next door. Can't recommend them enough. if you have the car Longleat is a great day out, lots to do!!

We have done 1 day each time, maybe 2 days at most but 4 days in PeppaPig land would be too much

Our kids are too small to have any interest in the Jurassic park section so it does depend if you wanted to use that as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

We spent two days in the place last year, when our lad was aged 4, and he had more interest and spent more time in the dinosaur 'grown up' end of things. Special kiddies' rollercoaster there, and an intermediate-type one, as well as the more 'hairy' ones for grown-ups (though height restriction is just 1.1 metres). Some good water slides as well that he absolutely loved (I did too!).

Just to point out that English schools aren't yet on holidays in first week of July, either. That's when we went. Was actually a perfect time to visit the dinosaur end of things - most other families there had smaller children more interested in Peppa Pig stuff, and bigger kids who might have headed for the dinosaur stuff were still in school. So we never had to queue at all for any of the rides, and to be honest, I lost count of how many times we went on things. Was like having our own private theme park. :)

Edit - just saw somebody mention Longleat too. We visited there as well. Would strongly recommend. And finally, depending on where you are yourself, consider the ferry from Rosslare instead of Dublin. Might be biased as I'm a Wexford man myself, but I've driven towards south of England from Holyhead as well as Fishguard & Pembroke, and reckon the M4 way across South Wales is definitely the way to go.

Peppa pig land if you do stay for 2 days. Expect the morning time to be hectic, long queues etc. In afternoon nothing. Last time we stayed "late" and after 3 we could just walk up and no queue for rides.....

Thanks for all the advice

2 adults and one Peppa mad 3 year old.. Dublin based ... hoping to go June..

We plan on flying into Bristol airport early on a Monday and rent a car.. ( the other option was fly to Southampton only flyby go their from Dublin, their looking for mad money )

Monday will be stone henge ( might as well when in the general area ) then stopping in a village/ town for some food and traveling to our accommodation,

Tuesday and Wednesday will be for the Peppa pig park, it's working out around 120 euro for 2 day pass...

Thursday will be traveling back to Bristol to get the flight home...

Again thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them...

• Advertisement

Southampton is just down the road, I flew into it a number of times and wasn't huge money. Might be option.

Longleat looks class and something we wanted to do, maybe this year we might shoot down for the day!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

It's a handy enough drive from Bristol area. We actually stay with friends near Bristol ourselves when over there, then push on somewhere else for a few days too.

Shefwedfan - one bit of advice for Longleat is to leave the safari drive until last - do everything else first. Apparently most visitors do the wildlife thing first, so it tends to be much busier in the mornings, quieter in the afternoons.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Going to PPW in March, they've today released their ticket only prices for 2020 and they are £240 for the 2 day pass (for 4 people).

Seems they are pushing their packages by giving a 2 day pass for the price of a single day. Unfortunately we booked a non refundable hotel in Southampton so switching to a package is not an option.

When we went 4 years ago the ticket only offers were buy one day get one free, anyone know if any offers are or are likely to become available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement