Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia, stage 6: Cassino - San Giovanni R. 238km

Options
  • 16-05-2019 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭

After a wet neutralized day yesterday it,s back to another long stage that nearly goes straight across Italy. Coudl be another long boring day. Lumpy rolling stage again with talk of Roglic possibly letting the jersey go for a few days on this stage.

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_alt_jpg-1.jpg
    Technical Overview:
    Stage 6 is a very long (238 km!) and quite demanding stage, despite not having any particularly hard climb (in fact, it has only one categorized climb, even if it should have more...). From Cassino the riders will head all the way east, crossing the entire peninsula and reaching the other side. The first difficulty of the day arrives at km 11, and it's a small climb of roughly 4.5 km at 4.5%. From there, the road becomes a slightly ascending false flat until it transforms into a proper climb at km 42. This second climb of the day, passing near the town of Isernia, measures 13 km at 3%, and it is very irregular, hiding some proper ramps. After this comes an easy section of flat roads, leading to another climb just before the town of Campobasso, with around 9 km at 3%, again with some decent ramps, this time at the end. From here on, descent and another flat section towards another uncategorized climb, 3 km at 5.5%, before the road gets down again and flattens out. This is by far the easiest section of the day, which ends just at the foot of the only categorized climb, starting at 32.5 km to go: Coppa Casarinelle (GPM2, 15 km at 4.4%) is a long uphill drag, with some good ramps here and there but overall it is second category only because it's close to the finish. The top is at 18 km to go, but it's not the last climb of the day. In fact, after 5 km of descent to reach the town of S. Marco in Lamis the final ramp starts, which looks to be 2.5 km 6% average. From the top there are 10.5 km to go, 5 of which are on an easy and fast descent, while the last 5.5 are mostly flat and run though the roads of S.Giovanni Rotondo, where the finishing line is located.

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_plan_jpg-2.jpg

Another long stage 6 votes

Yipee I love long stages
    83% 5 votes
    Wake me up when the roads go up
    0% 0 votes
    Its part of the race, just suck it up
    16% 1 vote
    Beats the long stages on the TDF
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I know there are boring weeks in every GT, and we've probably been spoiled during the last few years, but so far the route has been a bit of a snoozefest.

I hope a big breakaway gets away today and there is a fight within that group to become the new leader of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Roglic down in a crash, but back on his bike and seems unaffected
    Ten Dam has abandoned.

Probably a day for the sprinters, but that Cat2 after 220km could shake things up for them a bit. Yates to spring a late one and gain 10 seconds :)

Half moon at the Giro :pac:

ff52572_800x533_670.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

what happened there?

Ackermans in there

bettiniphoto_0393390_1_2000px_670.jpg

• Advertisement

Love to see Masnada do this. He's looked great recently in the Alps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Masnada is turning himself inside out, Conti not doing a lot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Masnada might be in luck, Conti is the virtual pink jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Borderfox wrote: »

Huzzah!

Borderfox wrote: »

Perfect example of a breakaway group/duo that had differing but complementary objectives. ....won-won

• Advertisement

Eddie up the front of the peleton.....he's going well..

Thats some change in overall GC ! Is there anyone left from yesterday? No matter, it wont last long like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Eddie up the front of the peleton.....he's going well..

Thats some change in overall GC ! Is there anyone left from yesterday? No matter, it wont last long like that...

Not allowed in break though

Hope Roglic brought his climbing legs to get 5 minutes back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I know there are boring weeks in every GT, and we've probably been spoiled during the last few years, but so far the route has been a bit of a snoozefest.

I hope a big breakaway gets away today and there is a fight within that group to become the new leader of the race

Chateau!!!

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Chateau!!!

Here you go :D

DhvhFM7WAAAmMgV.jpg

^^^
    yeah, that's the one i had in mind.

^^^^
    Only an Italian could get away with wearing runners with a suit

Ha saw that earlier, not a bad pace for a man in his 70's.

• Advertisement

^^^^
    Only an Italian could get away with wearing runners with a suit

And a cravat.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I thought for a moment Conti was going to try for stage win, looked like he was gearing up for a gallop but I reckon it was a bit for show.

Sam would have won that stage .......

Finnrocco wrote: »
    I thought for a moment Conti was going to try for stage win, looked like he was gearing up for a gallop but I reckon it was a bit for show.

Sam would have won that stage .......

Another ship, that has has long sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I'm being facetious, I don't think he would have been allowed up the road yesterday by the teams looking to get into the break.

To be fair, Ackermann looks good, could win the points jersey, although not sure how he climbs in terms of getting over the big mountains v Gaviria, Ewan & Co. within the time limit.

Advertisement