Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Heating Water

Options
  • 09-05-2019 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me if its cheaper to heat water using a gas boiler or using an immersion on night rate electricity

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Unless it's a more than normal amount, the differences will be small.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ercork

See rough calculations in post 29 of thread below. Divide electricity cost by 2 for night rate:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057977343&page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭John.G

Wearb wrote: »
    Unless it's a more than normal amount, the differences will be small.

It would be interesting to get some reasonably accurate temperature readings of the flow&return temperatures both at the cylinder and at the boiler with a GAS fired boiler which normally is mounted indoors. I have a (external) 20 kw oil fired boiler and there is ~ 5c pipework loss which at my flow rate of 11.5 LPM equates to 4kw which further reduces the (SE boiler) efficiency from ~ 80% to 64%.

Gas boilers modulate so it would be pretty normal for a 25kw boiler to be running at 6kw when the HW cylinder is getting up to temperature. A pipework loss of even 2.5C (2kw) will reduce the boiler efficiency (at the 6kw output) to 70% so night rate electricity is IMO very competitive under these running conditions and will be cheaper if the pipework losses are > 2kw.

Advertisement