Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New build - Heatmiser, Nest, Hive, or other?

• 08-05-2019 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all,

Doing a complete restoration at the moment, it's effectively a new build. Everything old is gone, all new equipment being installed.

Both my architect and builder recommend Heatmiser to control the new (wet) underfloor heating. From a quick look online, it visually strikes me as a dated system, something from the 90s rather than today. I'm only talking about the interface, I don't know enough about what happens behind the scenes. Nest, and Hive to a lesser extent, look way more modern, and seem to have more smarts built in. But when I mentioned Nest to the architect and builder (both younger than 45, if that matters) they said it's better suited to a retrofit, and Heatmiser is better for new builds.

Can anyone comment on this please? There's surprisingly little info out there comparing the pros and cons, and which situations each is better suited to. I'm just having trouble corroborating what they said.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Both Nest and Hive will capably run your system, and give you the control features you are after, as will many other similar products on the market.

Sounds to me more like your builder is more comfortable with heat miser and have used this in the past, install the system YOU want, not what the builder prefers.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yoozername

@DGOBS

Thanks for your reply. I'm weighing up a couple of other options now too (Tado and Ecobee, though I don't think Ecobee is here yet). The main problem is that there will be several zones, 5-6, and I'm not really sure if Nest and Hive are set up for that. Hive, from what I can see, can handle only 3. And Nest needs a full Nest in each zone. Tado might be the same, but a little cheaper. Don't know which way to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Hi what you are looking for is Honeywell evohome - this can do underfloor and individual radiators that can be batched together (eg 2 radiators in one room = one zone) up to I believe 12 zones.

In terms of tech usability its midway between the heatmiser and nest/hive but is far more advanced in practical and zoning terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭xl500

Hi what you are looking for is Honeywell evohome - this can do underfloor and individual radiators that can be batched together (eg 2 radiators in one room = one zone) up to I believe 12 zones.

In terms of tech usability its midway between the heatmiser and nest/hive but is far more advanced in practical and zoning terms.

Just to second this I have Evohome for last number of years I have it running an Opentherm Boiler control and its great designed from ground up to be a heating control system

It can also control Electric Zones now which means for instance if you have an Electric heater in Bedroom as I have it can become a zone in your heating control fully integrated into Evo but the Electric Zone will not call Boiler on, I installed Electric Heater in Bedroom when I was renovating for 2 reasons its silent and also we use it very little so it is great to have it as a Zone in Heating System fully controlled from Phone or Controller Screen

Only Thing I would point out and this applies to all Smart TRV Systems the TRVs can be a bit noisy for bedrooms but with Evo you can control Bedrooom Zones with a motorised Valve if your Plumbing Supports it

Advertisement