Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Divorce Referendum

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

IMO it should be 1 year, or 1.5 max, Been living separate lives for years since married. Seperate arrangements by the choice of the other party from almost immediately after getting married, whatever of abusive husbands, women are equally capable of that and manipulation. While I thought it might be possible to work out, now completely separate lives, no intention of ever getting married again, but I'm now tied to a person for another potentially 5 years, even 2 is too much and the state now seem to be suggesting dragging their feet on implementing that. The only thing stopping me making enquiries now is the 2 years and the fear of getting shafted as the person who entered the relationship financially solvent and with a property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

sandbelter wrote: »
    I think it should be more a case of 4 years, and by mutual consent the court can take it down to a shorter period to a minimum of 2 years.

This is a terrible idea tbh and would just result in people using it vindictively to punish the other as much as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

this would have been a perfect time to allow pre-nups too but they missed that boat.

Definitely should be reduced to a year , I know so many men who have had themselves emotionally and financially drained for years just trying to move on with their lives.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

sandbelter wrote: »
    I agree 4 years is not unreasonable, some couple could divorce before this, but not not all. I think it should be more a case of 4 years, and by mutual consent the court can take it down to a shorter period to a minimum of 2 years.
    ...so the constitution still requires the amendment to be passed!

Advertisement