Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal near Broombridge - Angry Swan!

Options
  • 24-04-2019 8:35pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice a fairly agitated swan hanging out on the tarmac path between Broombridge turnoff and Ratoath Rd bridge.

Despite being it being a very busy path, the swan seems to be trying to snap at all passerbys. It takes particularly umbrage to bicycles - often spreading it's wings and pursuing for a couple of metres.
    A.M. and P.M. - an otherwise relaxing stretch to commute along!

Just in my head? Is it better to get off and pass slowly in pedestrian mode? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Protecting the nest. Cygnets are about to be born over the next few week, give it as a wide a berth as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Just in my head? Is it better to get off and pass slowly in pedestrian mode? :)

If he's on the bank, you can usually speed by on the far side of the path. If he's on the path, then I'd hop off and walk, with the bike between you and the swan acting as a shield. You can also protect any nearby pedestrians in the same manner, they're thankful for it.

He generally doesn't actually chase anyone, just protecting the nest as Weepsie says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Happens every year. The cygnets must have hatched. Just go quickly and confidently putting as much distance between you and the swan as possible on the narrow path.

It's utterly terrifying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

remember - if you are attacked and wounded by a swan, get a passerby to urinate in the open wound, it's the easiest way of neutralising the venom.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

We stopped on bikes at the weekend for a look here as the female was on the nest which was cool to see. Male just stayed close by in the water but as soon as we got on the bikes to cycle away he chased us in the water for a good 50m or so.

There's another nest down at Shandon although it's on the opposite/South side and out in the open which seemed strange.

It's a fine gauntlet at the moment with the odd scrambler and group of chungfellas to contend with also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

In case you're attacked and feel like suing Waterways Ireland:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-victim-of-swan-s-attack-loses-injury-claim-1.309624

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

There's a few on the Grand Canal now too. I was watching the male build throw sticks out from the undergrowth toward a nest the other day. Was pretty cool.

Now the last few mornings, she's been sitting on the nest, and he's standing guard. A few people fly past too close, but most slow right down and give them a wide berth. A stop go system if coming from different directions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

In case you're attacked and feel like suing Waterways Ireland:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-victim-of-swan-s-attack-loses-injury-claim-1.309624

Glad this case failed.... sure swans have no money anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Let's change the name on the thread to 'protective swan' - they are not 'angry' but like all wild animals will assume you are out to do harm if you come near its nest at this time of year. There has been a myriad of cases here of swans being attacked by scumbags with crossbows, catapults etc to suggest that their wariness of humans is justified.

These are large birds but be sensible and all is well. Live and let live......

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WadeWatts

Is this still an issue? I've been avoiding the area and heading along the navan road instead but would like to get back to a pleasant canal cycle

• Advertisement

I dont know the area, but you should be able to get past the swan without any issue, just be assertive, without making any fuss or shouting or waving your arms about etc; if in doubt, get off and walk the bike briskly past him keeping it between you and him. You could always bring some green vegetables (but NOT bread....) with you and throw them for him and may get distracted but thank you...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I dont know the area, but you should be able to get past the swan without any issue, just be assertive, without making any fuss or shouting or waving your arms about etc; if in doubt, get off and walk the bike briskly past him keeping it between you and him. You could always bring some green vegetables (but NOT bread....) with you and throw them for him and may get distracted but thank you...... :)

I always thought bread was bad for swans but apparently fresh bread and grains etc is perfectly ok. Don't give them meat though because they are vegetarians, possibly even vegan but if they're vegan then they'll likely tell you straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

WadeWatts wrote: »
    Is this still an issue? I've been avoiding the area and heading along the navan road instead but would like to get back to a pleasant canal cycle

I walk past him every morning. It's fine. He's either in the water or on the path at a point where its wide enough to easily give him a wide berth.

Off topic, but bread isn't great for ducks/swans (despite what Pat Kennys resident vet thinks.......) but it not deadly either, unless its mouldy and this is perhaps a greater risk. Fresh veg or cooked rice etc is great...https://blog.education.nationalgeographic.org/2017/03/27/stop-feeding-ducks-bread/

If we're still talking about the Broombridge swans, the nest this year is on the south bank in a very inaccessible spot. The cob doesn't seem to have fully appreciated this and still patrols the north (towpath) bank. Walking the dog along there has been ok but I saw an Alsatian and its owner being seriously intimidated when they stopped on the jetty opposite the nest. Cycling generally hasn't been a problem.

The nests at Shandon and just below Cross Guns bridge are also on the south bank with no problems on the towpath. I haven't seen the otters along there for a while but I don't think the swans can be blamed for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

No new arrivals yet at the 8th lock nest just upstream from Broombridge. The cob is still taking his nest guarding duties pretty seriously.

Advertisement