Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Insulation to Party Wall

Options
  • 23-11-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Living in a 1912 built redbrick terrace house and the sound coming through the party from the neighbours is of course quite annoying, I'm talking about tv volume, general conversations and the like. I'm looking to get soundproofing to the party walls and due to the fact the house is quite narrow, just under 4m internally between party walls, so i'm looking for a minimum build up, about 50mm max. So I'm not looking at the independent studs with mineral wool approach. I'm currently looking at dense plasterboard's which are coming in about 40-70 euro per square meter. The ones i'm looking at are PhoneStar Sound Board (18kg per m2), Must wall 33B (19.5kg/m2) and Soundboard 4 (34kg/m2). Has anyone has used these products? If so what are your opinions of them. And of course any cost effective options or alternative approaches would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Did you have any joy with this? I'm in a similar situation and looking at the options you have listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevmoroney

I have used the Must wall 33B for a party wall on a concrete party wall between terraced houses in Kimmage. The neighbour has a tv on the wall adjacent to our bedroom and the sound was quite irritating in the evenings.
    I can't recommend it enough, we have virtually eliminated the noise. There is a bit of work involved in the installation though. The boards are attached the the walls with adhesive and studs. You then glue a second layer of plasterboard over this and will need a new layer of plaster to finish. I did the job myself over 3 days to allow for drying of the adhesive and plaster, but it could be a difficult job if you have not attempted this type of work before. The boards are quite heavy and can be difficult to cut to size as well.
    The final sound-proofing though is extremely effective, we have virtually eliminated the noise entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

kevmoroney wrote: »
    The final sound-proofing though is extremely effective, we have virtually eliminated the noise entirely.

Interesting - I'd looked at that product before but went for a more belt-and-braces approach as I just didn't think the Mustwall could be that effective. Good to know as I'm looking to do something in our sitting room but save on space also.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

kevmoroney wrote: »

That's great to know. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭dball

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a question.
    I'm living in a house where an office and guest room are beside each other. The noise is a little bit loud as I will be on phone calls a lot during the day and my guests (B&B) are in the living room sometimes.
    There is no way I'm going to go internally into the wall cavities - i believe they are a single cavity wall ( built 2001)
    and i want to stop or reduce the sound travelling through the wall.
    Is there anything anyone can recommend i could place on one side of one wall ( my office side) to stop the sound travelling.
    I'm thinking the wavy foam you see in recording studios but i'm guessing expensive.
    Anyone here any thoughts on different options or do i HAVE to go inside the wall for anything effective?

• Advertisement
Advertisement