Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub gear bike dilemma

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I like the Boardman and the Cube.

What do you like about the hub gear. Always thought about getting one myself for the commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Drop bars aren't a con. Although the bar end shift can be a pain depending on tastes. I liked it for touring as it's a simple design with less to go wrong but now that I use the bike for commuting I'm starting to think about changing over to a standard drop bar shifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Drop bars aren't a con. Although the bar end shift can be a pain depending on tastes. I liked it for touring as it's a simple design with less to go wrong but now that I use the bike for commuting I'm starting to think about changing over to a standard drop bar shifter.

Yeah, its the bar end shifter that Im worried about. Not sure about changing to drops, and that seems particularly impractical for commuting.

beauf wrote: »
    I like the Boardman and the Cube.

What do you like about the hub gear. Always thought about getting one myself for the commute.

The ability to change while stopped, simplicity... the thing is bulletproof and maintenance free.

Ive done about 30,000 miles on it over 8 years and apart from having to get the chain tightened or changed Ive had no problems with the hub at all up until recently - and thats an issue with the cassette shifter unit, a €15 plastic assembly on the outside of the hub.

Cons are weight and gear ratios, but you get used to that. Tempted to go up to Alfine 11, but have heard reports that its less reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've been using the bar end shifters for about 3 years now both commuting and touring/audax. I don't even have to think about changing gear, it's just an automatic action. I wouldn't bother with the expense of brake lever shifters for the commute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I've been using the bar end shifters for about 3 years now both commuting and touring/audax. I don't even have to think about changing gear, it's just an automatic action. I wouldn't bother with the expense of brake lever shifters for the commute...

It just gets on muh tits having to move off the hoods. It's not a big deal.

OP drops aren't impractical for commuting. I said it recently in another thread, once you go drops you'll never go back. They're awesome.

Hmm... thanks. Ive been leaning that way, but having never used drops I would like to try the bike first, which isn't an option...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

How do people with hub gears find dealing with punctures?

I've been riding a hub-geared bakfiets for well over a year, but I've yet to have a puncture, so I'm sure one is in the offing.

I can only speak for the Alfine 8, but its fine. There's a little nut that secures the cable to the hub you have to slide out, and thats pretty much it. Just make sure the dots are aligned properly when you put the wheel back on.

I have roller brakes too, so there's quite a lot to undo and then redo. I'm assuming I'll have to patch the puncture without removing the wheel, which should definitely be possible, mostly, but I'm really not looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

I confess I went to the LBS the first few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a Charge Tap (Nexus 9) for about 8-10 years now... It's great, but heavy. Not great at going up the mountains, but perfect for around town.

Have to say, I wouldn't be keen to have one of the new ones with the GB logo on the side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

droidus wrote: »
    The ability to change while stopped, simplicity... the thing is bulletproof and maintenance free.

Ive done about 30,000 miles on it over 8 years and apart from having to get the chain tightened or changed Ive had no problems with the hub at all up until recently - and thats an issue with the cassette shifter unit, a €15 plastic assembly on the outside of the hub.

Cons are weight and gear ratios, but you get used to that. Tempted to go up to Alfine 11, but have heard reports that its less reliable.

Thanks for the reply/ I like the idea of them. I find in the rain/winter my MTB comuter gears get pretty gunked up, so I have to clean them after a few weeks of bad weather. I found the wet lube made it worse so stick with dry and just apply it more often and it makes it easier to clean. Also the hanger gets bent and misaligned in bikes racks easily. The idea of not having that hassle is appealing.

After over a year of use of (mostly) a hub-geared bakfiets and a standard touring bike, I would contend that a hub-gear bike needs way less maintenance, and, as yet, hasn't needed any roadside repairs at all.

But, as I said, I still have a creeping feeling that I'm going to have one very bad day when the first puncture arrives (10,000km and counting).

tomasrojo wrote: »
    But, as I said, I still have a creeping feeling that I'm going to have one very bad day when the first puncture arrives (10,000km and counting).

You're determined to jinx yourself arent you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

CUBE Hyde Pro 2018

Approx €1000

mdb-19115_19115-0.jpg

Pros: Tough, tried and tested
    Cons: Very heavy, NEXUS hub

Looking at the Hyde Race right now, has alfine 8 speed and works out about €1100 though waiting to confirm that. Had hoped to get a Travel SL but stock is not going to be ready till early Q2 next year so opting to for the Hyde Race and adding in mudguards/pannier rack myself. Will be used for commuting plus school runs with a child seat to be added later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have roller brakes too, so there's quite a lot to undo and then redo. I'm assuming I'll have to patch the puncture without removing the wheel, which should definitely be possible, mostly, but I'm really not looking forward to it.
    It would certainly be traditional. Just make sure you have a set of your mother's best forks to use as tyre levers. That's what we used to do as kids.

OTOH, with the bakfiets at least you'll be able to carry the basin of water around with you...
    This could be one for a bit of pre-emptive tyre replacement.

py wrote: »
    Looking at the Hyde Race right now, has alfine 8 speed and works out about €1100 though waiting to confirm that. Had hoped to get a Travel SL but stock is not going to be ready till early Q2 next year so opting to for the Hyde Race and adding in mudguards/pannier rack myself. Will be used for commuting plus school runs with a child seat to be added later.

Nice. This guy.

838002_light.jpg

https://www.evanscycles.com/en-ie/cube-hyde-race-2017-hybrid-bike-EV287866

Seems good value and lighter than the Radon.

Travel SL look very similar to the Radon FE and the Canyons in terms of weight and features.

150400_light.jpg

Not tempted by the Boardman? Im at about 12.5-13kg now and would love to drop a couple of kilos. If only to make room for a pannier rack.

They have the 2017 travel SL in stock here for 1200 or so. Not too keen on those handlebars, or that paint.

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2572/cube-travel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Just get any of the ones with the gates carbon drive.

• Advertisement

Nice. This guy.

838002_light.jpg

I like that too until I saw how ugly the welds were up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭boardbeer

Punctures: fit Tannus tyres and that issue goes away.
    +1 for the gates belt

They have the 2017 travel SL in stock here for 1200 or so. Not too keen on those handlebars, or that paint.

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2572/cube-travel

Unless they have it in the shop, it's out of stock at the distributors everywhere. Had hoped to have it a few months back but had been waiting on the announcements at Eurobike. Once they were done I called a few shops and the new versions aren't due for a long long time, hence my choice of the Hyde which will be available in a few weeks.

Not tempted by the Boardman? Im at about 12.5-13kg now and would love to drop a couple of kilos. If only to make room for a pannier rack.

Was aiming to go with a gates belt and the Hyde looks a bit more accomadating for a pannier rack on the back.
    Effects wrote: »
    I like that too until I saw how ugly the welds were up close.

I wasn't all that impressed with the welds on my Cube road bike but it's held up well with about 20,000Km on it and cost around the same coin as the Hyde. Given it was my first road bike, I wasn't all that concerned with them and I'm likely to go carbon with my next one. Would be interested in other options which have gates drive, clearance for large tyres, alfine hub, hydraulic disc brakes, flat bars and can accommodate pannier racks for ~€1000.

The only thing close to that is the Canyon commuter 4.0, or the Radon Urban FE (without the belt).

Or perhaps the BMC AC02 alfine 8, here for €1400

http://www.fitzcycles.ie/p/2872/bmc-bikes#reviews-tab-tab

cdaly_ wrote: »

This could be one for a bit of pre-emptive tyre replacement.

Yes, been thinking about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

A friend has the older Canyon and it's very nice. The integrated rack/mudguard/dynamo light is very cool looking, but the rack can't take much weight; my friend's broke after a few months.

py wrote: »
    Would be interested in other options which have gates drive, clearance for large tyres, alfine hub, hydraulic disc brakes, flat bars and can accommodate pannier racks for ~€1000.

I cycled a titanium Charge Plug for a bit during the summer. Rides really nice and looks stunning. Large clearance for tires and has disk brakes. Think they are pretty pricey though I think.

• Advertisement

A friend has the older Canyon and it's very nice. The integrated rack/mudguard/dynamo light is very cool looking, but the rack can't take much weight; my friend's broke after a few months.

Am I right in thinking that the geometry and shorter wheelbase of the Canyons would lead to a more upright riding position?

Advertisement