Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Wall insulation

Options
  • 07-01-2016 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All,

I don't know if this is the correct spot but please remove if it is not. I am looking at getting my house externally insulated and have look up a few places online. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations, I am in the Dublin 8 area. It is a mid terrace house so just front and back need doing.

I have seen some sites quote around €4500 for mid terrace, would anyone know if this is before or after the grant is included?

Also the back of the house has decking at a height, would I need to remove this to get the bottom of the wall done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

Anybody??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

I don't have any recommendations but I can answer one of your queries- yes you would neet to remove the decking to allow the whole wall area to be covered, in fact any surface mounted fittings will need to be modified, including down pipes, sat dish, light fittings etc. Best to get a detailed quote for the proposed work from a minimum of 3 registered contractors and ask them how they propose to address areas of concern- including window cill detail, roof overhang, treatment of junction with neighbouring properties etc. A skilled, experienced contractor should be able to answer any queries you have and offer references/ show you samples of the completed work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kellyshell wrote:
    I have seen some sites quote around €4500 for mid terrace, would anyone know if this is before or after the grant is included?

My guess is that they'd quote lowest possible price. I would think price quoted is price after grant. A 3 bed semi D is around 14000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

A well taken decision, probably smarter one taken related to "our" home.
    I insulated my home, DIY, every Saturday, took me 2 months.
    Saved a lot of money and did it as I wanted. Got "external" support at the finishing stage, as it was beyond my skills.

What can I share:
    -all goes down, that is externally attached to house. Myself, i covered the pipes within the insulation as I didn't bothered taken down ALL pipes.
    -back of the house is easy and straight, front of the house is pain as it needs to retain/match the previous front look like and the other houses in the road.
    -make sure that you allow a special profile at the doors and windows for the water to "poor away" from the profiles.
    -make sure the installer mentions the special profile for windows, doors and externally, above the ground around 20cm for the rain to drop away off the wall
    -make sure you cover the windows and doors glass and frames, is a pain in 'the glass' to clean up after.
    -try to make a deal with neighbours and do all in a row, it looks nicer
    -make sure neighbours are informed as the board comes out 100mm and it may "affect" visually and mentally their homes.

Get three quotes and look for referrals.
    Do not go for the cheaper one !
    Dunno who is going to do it this winter as it needs few good days to get the walls dry, without a drop of rain !

Enjoy it, well worth it !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's a crowd up here in Donegal who have a very good reputation for external insulation, been doing it a long time.

Not sure if I am allowed to link to their website or not, but they cover all of Ireland. Might be worth contacting them for a quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 stipower

its around 100 euro plus vat a sq meter,can you not get the cavity pumped?grant for a semi detached is 3400 euro,but it will prob still cost you 10k plus

its around 100 euro plus vat a sq meter,can you not get the cavity pumped?grant for a mid terrace is 2250 euro i think,but it will prob still cost you a few bob,just measure the height and width of the front of the house(the the area in sq meters) and multiply by 100euro and that should get you a rough idea of how much to do the front,which will probably be the same as the back like most terraces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

stipower wrote: »
    its around 100 euro plus vat a sq meter,can you not get the cavity pumped?grant for a mid terrace is 2250 euro i think,but it will prob still cost you a few bob,just measure the height and width of the front of the house(the the area in sq meters) and multiply by 100euro and that should get you a rough idea of how much to do the front,which will probably be the same as the back like most terraces.

Front of the house always dearer due to special materials used in during finishing stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

It sounds about right. I'm mid terrace 60 m2 and went with a crowd called insulex for 100 per m2 in dublin 7 and they did a good job though it took a while. That's about mid market but I've heard about cheaper people botching it

either way i wouldnt risk a cheap job,reputable company with good knowledge,what a disaster it could turn out to be on a cowboy doing the cheap

• Advertisement

thanks for the advice everyone.

I have a couple of companies popping over next week to take a look. hopefully it doesn't break the bank to much :)

Thinking of getting external wall insulation but also got a quote for internal.

The internal guy says his way is messier inside (obviously) but that external can come with all manner of complications. For example, you'd have to move waste water pipes that run down the side of the house, move shores, resize side/back gates...

Anyone experience of this? We've an external insulation crowd coming to quote shortly and I know they will say it'll all be graaand. But would appreciate other views.

Thinking of getting external wall insulation but also got a quote for internal.

The internal guy says his way is messier inside (obviously) but that external can come with all manner of complications. For example, you'd have to move waste water pipes that run down the side of the house, move shores, resize side/back gates...

Anyone experience of this? We've an external insulation crowd coming to quote shortly and I know they will say it'll all be graaand. But would appreciate other views.

Hi Ixelles,

This was my original post so I suppose I should let you know how I got on!

I used a crowd called Eco Thermal homes and dealt with Frank. They were fantastic to deal with and provided external insulation. The lads they used were so professional and clean I could not fault.

Once the job was completed he was still on hand with queries with BER and tax information.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks a lot kellyshell - glad it worked out. I'll look those guys up!

Was there much upheaval? I heard/read a bit about problems moving pipes and drains, and someone said they spent a lot of scaffolding which wasn't covered by the company they used.

Thanks a lot kellyshell - glad it worked out. I'll look those guys up!

Was there much upheaval? I heard/read a bit about problems moving pipes and drains, and someone said they spent a lot of scaffolding which wasn't covered by the company they used.

Apologies only getting back to you now.
    The price I was given included everything including scaffold. I am in a mid terrace house so they had to bring material through the house but the lads were very careful and put polythene down to protect my floors.
    Pipework was moved out by 4 inches to fit insulation but again I had no problems.
    Suppose it all depends on the crowd you go with.

Thanks a lot - I had someone around who seemed really good and looks after pipes, scaffolding etc and gave me a load of references. Will check one or two of them just to make sure they are legit!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭katie275

Thanks a lot - I had someone around who seemed really good and looks after pipes, scaffolding etc and gave me a load of references. Will check one or two of them just to make sure they are legit!

Ixelles, did you go with eco thermal homes in the end; how did you find them?

Thanks

Advertisement