Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carryarthur (Kilflyn, Limerick) and more Q's...

Options
  • 27-06-2012 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

I can't seem to locate where this place is.

I found it on:

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Kilflyn/Carryarthur/621189/

I have been Googling and checking townland lists and no joy. Any idea?

In addition to this, I have just started to research my family history, starting off with what I can find online and then going to the archives. I decided to focus on one area at a time, so I am chasing any information on my great-grandfather on my father's father's side. Using the census, I have found the following:

Name: Thomas Patrick Fleming
    1901 Age: 33
    1911 Age: 47
    DOB Range: 1864-1869
    DOB Range +/- 5yrs: 1859-1874
    Marriage: 1892
    Marriage +/- 5yrs: 1887-1897
    Born: Co. Limerick
    1911 Occupation: Grocer (Cork City)
    1901 Occupation: National School Teacher (Glenville, Co. Cork)

I +/- 5yrs on the recommendation of a John Grenham book.

In addition, he had a son living with them in 1901 (John Francis), who wasn't with them in 1911. I believe I tracked him down in the 1911 census, living with an aunt in Croom, Co. Limerick, which leads me to believe that the family may be from there. Another clue that leads me there was found on familysearch.org:
    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY4G-P3T
    Name: Thomas Fleming
    Registration District: Croom
    Event Type: MARRIAGES
    Registration Quarter and Year: Jul - Sep 1891
    Estimated Birth Year: 
    Age (at Death): 
    Mother's Maiden Name: 
    Film Number: 101256
    Volume Number: 5
    Page Number: 129
    Digital Folder Number: 4179388
    Image Number: 00379
    Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958

Which would fall within the above range, but it could be a coincidence.

So, I am thinking I am ready to hit the NAI to confirm birth/marriage and hopefully get more info from those documents. What do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the name of the townland is actually Garryarthur - see the building return. Kilflyn is the name of the DED, and in this case happens to be the name of the civil parish also.

The Poor Law Union/ Registration District is Kilmallock

The marriage you mentioned is a civil Index reference - so the GRO research room would be the place to go..

Shane

Here's the townland on the 1st Edition OSI map - it's located very close to the border with Co. Cork, and quite close to Mitchelstown - c14km. Shane

a quick look at Thomas jnr .. census link for 1911..

Fleming household - Thomas Davis. St, Cork

married to Mary Agnes 19 years, so c1891. Parents and eldest child born Co. Limerick, from about 1897 children born in Co. Cork.

Do you know Mary Agnes's maiden name - e.g. from a birth cert for one of the children ?

The only possible cross-match I see that marriage reference you mention in 1891/Croom is a 'Mary Nix' ?

The other brides on the page are Bridget McNamara, Annie Mackay & Mary Casey.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Thanks. The GRO it is, then.

might be worth starting with a birth cert for one of the children to confirm mother's maiden name - makes the search for the marriage much easier...

I usually start with the youngest, or the one with the least common name....in this case they are all on the census with middle names, and also registered with them.. so easy to find :
    Name: William Bernard Flemming
    Registration district: Cork
    Event type: Birth
    Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1907
    volume : 5 / Page: 77

you can order the certs when you get to the research room with these references - €4 per cert (max 5 per person, per day)

Not only is it cheaper and much quicker to search the index online before you go, it's far easier than browsing through the index books.

S.

• Advertisement

shanew wrote: »
    a quick look at Thomas jnr .. census link for 1911..

Fleming household - Thomas Davis. St, Cork

married to Mary Agnes 19 years, so c1891. Parents and eldest child born Co. Limerick, from about 1987 children born in Co. Cork.

Do you know Mary Agnes's maiden name - e.g. from a birth cert for one of the children ?

The only possible cross-match I see that marriage reference you mention in 1891/Croom is a 'Mary Nix' ?

The other brides on the page are Bridget McNamara, Annie Mackay & Mary Casey.

S.

Interesting, as the aunt of John Francis (as mentioned above, seen in 1901 census) is an Alice Nix:

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Croom/Main_Street/617584/

Where did you get Mary Nix?

might be worth starting with a birth cert for one of the children to confirm mother's maiden name - makes the search for the marriage much easier...

I usually start with the youngest, or the one with the least common name....in this case they are all on the census with middle names, and also registered with them.. so easy to find :
    Name: William Bernard Flemming
    Registration district: Cork
    Event type: Birth
    Quarter and year: Apr-Jun 1907
    volume : 5 / Page: 77

you can order the certs when you get to the research room with these references - €4 per cert (max 5 per person, per day)

Not only is it cheaper and much quicker to search the index online before you go, it's far easier than browsing through the index books.

S.

Where is the online index? Thanks for your help on this.

Index is on FamilySearch, see : BMD Index - Ireland

To search for a possible cross-match for a marriage, search the index for possible partners (e.g. using first name only) in the same year/quarter and district and look for matches with the page & volume numbers. This is more difficult for busy districts like Cork or Dublin.

There's also a copy of the same Index details on Ancestry, and their search provides a link that shows all the potential matches.

S.

Can any read this?

Earl Barranen?

what's the context ?

• Advertisement

what's the context ?

It was the landholder of my (currently suspected) G-G-Grandfathers house. I am just curious.

I probably should outline my ultimate goal. I would like to write a book on my families history, even a short one, simply for family use. To fill out the narrative, I would like to write the book thematically, i.e. writing about the local history to provide context to the information I glean about my family history. My hope is that the local history and the (probably sparse) family info will weave together to provide a fuller picture for the reader. Thus, any little piece of local information that I can find (such as the Earl), I want to collect and research.

hadn't come across the surname Nix before... only 60 people with the surname on the 1901 returns, nearly all born Co. Clare or Limerick.

There are a number of extracted births and marriages for the surname on FamilySearch that might be relevant :

Nix births

Nix marriages

These extracted civil collections include partial details for many, but not all, civil records up to about 1880...

Shane

It was the landholder of my (currently suspected) G-G-Grandfathers house. I am just curious.

so probably someone who owned some land around Croom.. he might appear in connection with an estate, or large house.

I'll check if anything likely appears in directories....

technically this person owned just the land... rather than the house

S

Thanks Shane, I appreciate your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Can any read this?

Earl Barranen?

Earl Dunraven -- of Adare etc

it's a little clearer on one of the other pages.. defintely looks like Earl something, maybe Dunnaven ?

210789.jpg

S.

Looks like Dunraven, alright.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Dunraven

The listing for Croom in Slater's 1894 has a John O'Flaherty esq. of
    Dunnaman Castle, Croom - might be him ?

beginning to think that looks more like Dunraven... plus no mention of an Earl at Dunnaman

Shane

The listing for Croom in Slater's 1894 has a John O'Flaherty esq. of
    Donnaman Castle, Croom - might be him ?

Shane

The second letter seems like a 'u', in the primary document.

• Advertisement

true - that's a typo by me (now fixed!)

S.

true - that's a typo by me (now fixed!)

S.

Dunnaman seems a possibility, alright. Had a quick Google, and:

http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/property-show.jsp?id=2576&estate_id=2408

If you search Griffith's using Dunraven as surname, and Croom as the civil parish nearly 140 entries show up. There probably more land held by him, but listed under middle men - or immediate Lessors.

Dunraven property, Croom parish

this section of the returns were published on the 9th November 1850

S.

there's an O'Flaherty family at Dunnaman townland in 1901.. but no mention of any Earls, and doesn't look like much of a 'Castle'. Just 5 windows in front and between 7 and 9 rooms..

O'Flaherty household

the 1st edition OSI maps show the Castle 'in ruins', the later (c1890-1900) show a new building Dunnamancastle House

think the Dunraven option is much more likely...

S.

Is it possible that an Eliza Alfred have her named mispelled as Elizabeth Alford? Also, getting married at 15 in 1840?

Can't seem to locate any other likely match...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Also, getting married at 15 in 1840?

Absolutely, it happened. My ggg-grandmother married in Tralee, aged 15, in 1830.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Finjosh

This is a relatively old post but just saw it today.

The following is just a snippet of information relating to some of the questions raised in the posts.

My Great Grandfather Thomas Fleming was a school teacher in Croom prior to moving his family to Glenville where he took up another teaching post as Head Master in Glenville. One of his son's John Francis (Jack - my maternal grandfather) didn't move with the rest of his family to Glenville but rather remained in Croom with his grandmother (Alice Nix) and his aunt (Cecilia). My grandfather Jack worked in the railway station in Croom and married Helene Savage who was also from Croom. My grandmother Helene died in 1962 and grandfather Jack died in 1963.

I have quite a lot of information on the family tree (if anyone is interested) regarding my great grandfather Thomas Fleming and his great grandparents going back to 1780.

email me if you wish you can email me at: finjosh(at)hotmail.com

Advertisement