Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genealogy - which software ?

Options
  • 29-10-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

After a gap of . . . oh, 20 years or more . . . I'm getting back into the family history research end of things.

I'm wondering what other people out there use these days for keeping track ? I used to use a program called Brothers Keeper but from looking at it now, I don't think the author has kept up to date on the UI front. I know the UI isn't as important as the data but it sure helps a lot if it doesn't look clunky. According to the changelog for the program they author does at least seem to keep modifying it regularly.

Someone else just provided a program called Personal Ancestral File - provided by the Mormon church. I remember from my previous research that this application was developed my the Mormons because part of their faith involves tracking their ancestors.

I had a quick look around the app tonight and it seems to be a lot smoother then Brothers Keeper and I think I will probably swap over to it. I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions - or is PAF the 'hoover' of Genealogy software, given the religious drive behind it ?

Luckily for me, while I lost the original BK files from years back, I actually kept everything written on index cards - about 800 or so of them covering 600+ individuals, so all I need to do is get busy with the keyboard and I have a fair bit of detail.

Do people maintain details (like on index cards) seperately these days, or was this just an early example of my working in IT and knowing not to trust electronic media for the long term ?

z

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The trend these days seems to be more for Cloud Genealogy whereby all the records are stored elsewhere and are access via a website which also allows you to search for family info. So the searching and storage elements are linked together.

All data can usually be exported as a GEDCOM file and then uploaded to your site or program of choice. Some of the most popular right now are :

www.myheritage.com

www.ancestry.co.uk

www.genealogy.com

There are still loads of programs out there for people who prefer offline records including. Some of the best known are :

Legacy

Family Tree Maker 2010

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Just be careful if storing your information online that a) it cannot be amended by other people if you link trees, b) you don't put information up about people who are alive.

I use genopro.com - which is a very nice downloadable program, easy to manage.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ponster wrote: »
    The trend these days seems to be more for Cloud Genealogy whereby all the records are stored elsewhere and are access via a website which also allows you to search for family info. So the searching and storage elements are linked together.

All data can usually be exported as a GEDCOM file and then uploaded to your site or program of choice. Some of the most popular right now are :

www.myheritage.com

www.ancestry.co.uk

www.genealogy.com

There are still loads of programs out there for people who prefer offline records including. Some of the best known are :

Legacy

Family Tree Maker 2010

I'm currently looking at Family Tree Maker 2010. It's by Ancestry.com and they have an option to publish your offline tree online (but not sync), but still looks pretty impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I use Myheritage myself and I find it very good. I have quite a number of ancesters details but I also have all my living extended family on it. It's great for holding details of the ancesters and also acts like a kind of Facebook for the living members of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 class1comp

GRAMPS is my current software
    Free powerful
    My only crib is that it is a little hard to install.

It is associated with Open Office and GIMP regime of free software

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I use Legacy, it was recommended to me by someone in the know. You can download the programme or have it posted to you. Finding it great so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sorry for resurrecting a kind of old thread, but I've searched the forum for the word GEDCOM and only found this thread.
    Ponster wrote: »

Anyway, the LDS website has downloadable GEDCOM files, and we're wondering what's the best (free?) software for actually opening and reading the files?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Des wrote: »
    Anyway, the LDS website has downloadable GEDCOM files, and we're wondering what's the best (free?) software for actually opening and reading the files?

I'd suggest Legacy or ViewGED

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

class1comp - I downloaded and installed gramps for Windows and it seems to be doing the do with a gedcom file imported from PAF. I'm about ready to dump PAF as it's just a little clunky and the lack of integrated reporting/graphing is annoying me.

Is it still working away satisfactorily for you ?

z

Advertisement