Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a weather station

Options
  • 10-12-2007 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm noticing that recently I'm starting to take a bit of interest in the fluctuations in the weather and the science that goes behind it.

Can anyone recommend one of the digital weather centres with the outdoor sensors?

I've seen one or two in Argos, but maybe you'd point me in the right direction of an online one? Nothing spectacular.. well under €100 would be nice!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Welcome new weather nut.

Try the oregon scientific.They come with a few outdoor sensors for measuring humidity and temperature relaying back to a console. Not bad for starting off.

I think argos still do these and try here to get all the specs

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

Snowbie wrote: »
    Welcome new weather nut.

Try the oregon scientific.They come with a few outdoor sensors for measuring humidity and temperature relaying back to a console. Not bad for starting off.

I think argos still do these and try here to get all the specs
    I got the oregon

I have this one which i got from argos. As a beginner i find it great fun to work with.Have it for a while and no problems yet.It comes with one outdoor sensor. im a happy camper with it.:D and the lads on here are great teaching newbies like meself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Damomanye wrote: »
    I got the oregon

I have this one which i got from argos. As a beginner i find it great fun to work with.Have it for a while and no problems yet.It comes with one outdoor sensor. im a happy camper with it.:D and the lads on here are great teaching newbies like meself.

Cheers! How accurate is it?

it seems very acurate.particulary i notice with pressure.currently reading a 0.8c outside(and it bloody feels like it!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Damomanye wrote: »
    it seems very acurate.particulary i notice with pressure.currently reading a 0.8c outside(and it bloody feels like it!!)

Great! Whats the sensor like? Is it just something you leave in a quiet corner of the garden or do you fix it to a wall?

• Advertisement

It comes with this sensor, 4x6 inches. i have it down the garden away from any humanity, stuck to the shed ,facing north about 2 meters off the ground.

it's just a case of hanging it on a screw or nail. or somthing along those lines. thats just the way im doing it, not sure if it's right or not. Im sure the lads here have better ways of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Sort of off-topic but what do people think of the following product- seems like a good deal.
    http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_IR_HRG150.html

rc28 wrote: »
    Sort of off-topic but what do people think of the following product- seems like a good deal.
    http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_IR_HRG150.html
    Looks good if all you want is to monitor rainfall & temperature (inside & outside).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Looks good if all you want is to monitor rainfall & temperature (inside & outside).

Ye, that's all I want- Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm looking at getting a weather station which can plug into a website I will be creating, nothing too major, mostly temps, pressure, dew point etc. Would http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/oregonscientific_WMR100.html be the best option or does anyone know any other product suitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I have one of these. It has worked OK for me but note the following:

1) If you want a weather website, it comes with trial software. After a month you have to pay circa 60 euro for the software licence.

2) After 10 months the remote thermometer broke. (Its currently reading 24c!). I had to get a replacement temp sensor for 50 euro. The new temp sensor is on channel 2 but the PC software will only take dewpoint and some other readings from channel 1 (the broken outdoor sensor), so I have taken these readings off my website.

3) Sometimes (happened twice this year) you get a wacky temp reading which I couldn't remove from the database. This means that the monthly readings can be skewed.

Otherwise, it is working OK. That said, I'd say all stations have their problems and bugs!

A

Ok so I have narrowed down my choice to either http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_2_OS_WMR928NX.html or http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/info_2_ES_WS2300.html

There is a big difference in price, I don't mind paying the higher if its worth the difference, I want to put the data on my web-site, Any opinions welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I am planning to buy a good rig out. I would like to get stuff approved by the MET Eireann crew - someone on here has a recognised weather station at Ashford Wicklow - right? If so, what is the equipment you have?
    I also want to have support in it for a lightning detector - please advise!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The absolute best stations you can get that would be suitable for automatically updating a website would be the Davis Vantage Pro 2.
    Snowbie, Mothman and Tristrame all have one, I've a slightly older version 1 of the same thing. They don't come cheap but will be as good as you are going to get at an amateur level. You can sometimes get the original versions for quite chea on the likes of ebay if your lucky. Also with the American dollar being so weak it may be possibly to get them at much cheaper prices than over here but you will pay VAT on them that way.

The proper stations (such as the one Mothman runs) that Meteorological Organisations use around the world use human measurements and highly calibrated instrumentation and have strict requirements for locationing and would be entirely unsuitable for a website unless you were to pay someone to take measurements every few mins and input them for you. I'm sure that there are extremely expensive ones that automate the process but they probably input into extremely expensive computers programmed by extremely clever people!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

So it's Mothman I need to speak to! Thanks Longfield. Does that Vantage Pro have lightning detection - or can it be got as an add on??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not sure if there is a lightening module for the Vantage stations, Snowie is nuts about thunderstorms so he's the man to fill you in there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Danno,the lightning detector is seperate to the VP or VP2.
    I use weather display to upload my data from the VP2 and my detector.They both work together on the software(weather display) but you need extra software(nexstorm) for the detection itself.

Any more info just post here and i'll do my best to provide same.

Cheers lads - so what lightning detector is the best - or should I get the same one as you so we could have a composite coverage for Ireland?

LOL Am I black?? I post for advice and get no replys and Danno posts and has 3 in no time, bloody Laois lads always beat us Carlow boys lol :D

Oh goody triangulation.
    I use the boltek pci stormtracker and is the best amateur(near profesional) thats widely available to the public.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »
    LOL Am I black?? I post for advice and get no replys and Danno posts and has 3 in no time, bloody Laois lads always beat us Carlow boys lol :D
    Missed that with all this talk about snow going on's:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Villain wrote: »
    bloody Laois lads always beat us Carlow boys lol :D

Another scallion ater? :p What part of the county are you in?

I got a La Crosse WS2300 off theweathershop uk, got it back in August and its going grand so far, not too expensive and good for beginners, gives you a feel for weather watching etc, then if you like it you can dish out more money on a larger setup later on.

Just a thought :)

Snowbie wrote: »
    Oh goody triangulation.
    I use the boltek pci stormtracker and is the best amateur(near profesional) thats widely available to the public.

Flip! $799 - whats that in €uro+VAT?

Try here.

http://www.provantage.com/boltek-stormtrackerpci~7BOLT001.htm

I just gave you that other site as it has more info on the product.

Also if you use the link in my sig,it will give you an idea of what you can do,but all in all,it costs.

So that would be the complete hardware kit for $349 as opposed to $799 on the other site - if thats the case then it is some saving! :eek:

Danno wrote: »
    So that would be the complete hardware kit for $349 as opposed to $799 on the other site - if thats the case then it is some saving! :eek:
    Aye,people still buy from there website direct and not the affiliate companies:eek:

Huge saving indeed.

Would that site selling it for $349 be recomended - credit card safety and all that kinda stuff. I am keen to purchase now while the €uro and the U$ Dollar are at such a low rate.

Where are you going to buy the whole station from?

Don't know Villain - where ever the cheapest site is for the one that Mothman has is! Have to keep the costs down as herself would be looking over the Mastercard bill in February asking serious Questions!

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Would that site selling it for $349 be recomended - credit card safety and all that kinda stuff. I am keen to purchase now while the €uro and the U$ Dollar are at such a low rate.
    I got both of my detectors from there aswell as a lot of other pc equipment.Have been using them for years.

Just remember you also pay for shipping using DHL,and get collared for duty and vat.

I say add another 100 euro(includes shipping) to the price or therabouts when converted from dollar to euro.

http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Advertisement