Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Land League houses

Options
  • 25-06-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know anything about Land League houses? They were apparently across Ireland in the latter part of the 19th century.

I came across one in the village of Bearna na Gaoithe/Windgap in Co. Kilkenny last week.

How many were built across Ireland? How were they financed? Were they more numerous in certain areas? What was their function - presumably they were organisational centres but did they also take in evicted families temporarily?

Do any of you know of other such LL houses in Ireland?

Here are a few photos from Bearna na Gaoithe/Windgap:

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5121.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

There is a 'Land League Cottage' near me here in Rosscahill, Co Galway - I'll get a photo when I can, but it has been messed about quite a bit in recent years by the insertion of PVC windows etc...

It is known to all the locals as the Land League Cottage, but I know nothing of it's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

grabberart.jpg

Ballyknockan, Co. Wicklow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Don't know of any Land League houses in Mayo, but at Sraheen, Aughagower supporters of an evicted tenant built a house for the family evicted.

They built it on the verge of the road so that it could be claimed that it was not on the landlord's land.

However at promptings of local landlord a law case was taken against the county council as the highway authority. Case succeeded, and cottage had to be removed. Case is in the law reports c 1902

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

nuac wrote: »
    ..........supporters of an evicted tenant built a house for the family evicted.

Interesting. I wonder how often that happened - I know of a similar event, S. Kerry, 1930's eviction, locals built a house for the family on the edge of a common (a barren, bleak rocky corner!) The descendents now have two other houses on it.

After the eviction a couple of the sons went to England to work and years later when the landlord put their former homestead on the market they bought it through a solicitor. That done they confronted the landlord/vendor and he was furious, said that he would never have sold it to them had he known who the purchasers were. They sold it a short time later.

There also is the whole 'New Tipperary' thing with the Smith Barry Estate.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

nuac wrote: »
    Don't know of any Land League houses in Mayo, but at Sraheen, Aughagower supporters of an evicted tenant built a house for the family evicted.

They built it on the verge of the road so that it could be claimed that it was not on the landlord's land.

However at promptings of local landlord a law case was taken against the county council as the highway authority. Case succeeded, and cottage had to be removed. Case is in the law reports c 1902

The report of this case is Attorney General v Mayo County COuncil 1902 I Irish reports p 13. Leading case, appears in some legal text books. On a recent search on it, saw it mentioned in a New Zealand text.

I heard local Land League people were involved.

It was about 7 miles or so as the crow flies from the historic meeting addressed by Parnell and Davitt outside Westport - this was the start of the Land League

• Advertisement
Advertisement