Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

family tree program

Options
  • 15-06-2010 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,
    I am new to this, I have various bits of info on my familys history, and am looking for a way to organise it, and be able to amend, see relationships, allow for cousins marryingand multipal marrages. what would anyone recomend, either free or not too expensive.
    D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Have a look at the PAF (personal ancestral file) on www.familysearch.org. This site is run by the Latter Day Saints and is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Geni.com is a great way to collaborate online with other family members and its free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

+1 on Geni, I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Geni is addictive - started it about an hour ago and still adding family members..... Kilsmum ):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 elverstown

Hi all thanks for the replys,
    had a look at both, i feel geni is a bit like facebook, and aimed at current generation relationships, just my first impression. what i am trying to organise is the inter-relationships of 3 + generations ago. not sure about LDS, anyone care to comment on them?
    D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

elverstown wrote: »
    Hi all thanks for the replys,
    had a look at both, i feel geni is a bit like facebook, and aimed at current generation relationships, just my first impression. what i am trying to organise is the inter-relationships of 3 + generations ago. not sure about LDS, anyone care to comment on them?
    D

Geni CAN be aimed at current generation relationships if you choose to do so but it's super organised when it comes to past generations. The tree is really easy to use and hold loads of information. I've tried using trees on ancestry.com and the like and nothing is as comprehensive as Geni in my mind.

It uses simple colour coded and broken/dotted/block lines to define relationships (multiple marriages etc) so visually it's very easy to get your head around relationships. I personally haven't had any experience of cousins marrying so I'm not sure how Geni deals with it with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Alicat wrote: »
    Geni CAN be aimed at current generation relationships if you choose to do so but it's super organised when it comes to past generations. The tree is really easy to use and hold loads of information. I've tried using trees on ancestry.com and the like and nothing is as comprehensive as Geni in my mind.

It uses simple colour coded and broken/dotted/block lines to define relationships (multiple marriages etc) so visually it's very easy to get your head around relationships. I personally haven't had any experience of cousins marrying so I'm not sure how Geni deals with it with it.

+1 on this. We find it great, but it is highly addictive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I recently downloaded RootsMagic, and find is quite usable. There is a free version, and you have the option of paying for a version with extra functions. So far, the free version suits my needs, but I might upgrade later if I find that I want or need some of the bells and whistles.

Get it here: http://www.rootsmagic.com/

Advertisement